Thread: Benchin Alone?!?~

Benchin Alone?!?~

I think i might need to abandon Shirted Board work while I am Lifting Alone. Just Work Triples in my Shirts.

Im having a hell of a time trying to Setup, Attach Boards with a Band, and get into my Shirt. Then on top of all that Lift-off for Myself.

I tried just using a Single Ply Shirt but I still lost my Setup whenever I lift-off anything over 400.

I know i probably answered my own question but I could use some Advice.

Finding a Team isnt an option really. There's a crew of guys an Hour away, but Im the most experienced/Strong guy in that crew so I dont get any feedback really. And i cant afford to drive 2 hours more than a couple times a month.
    HEAVY BENCH!!!

Just Train Hard! Lift Heavy!!

Then drive to the team thats going to help you out the most as often as possible. It sucks, but its something I've been forced to do. Its really not that bad, and not that expensive. There's been times when I've gone to a gym 3 hours away once a week. I use about a tank of gas in my truck and its worth it.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterX View Post

There's a crew of guys an Hour away, but Im the most experienced/Strong guy in that crew so I dont get any feedback really. And i cant afford to drive 2 hours more than a couple times a month.
    2 times a month is better than never. Even if you are the most experienced, that's no reason not to seek help. They will learn and you will have spotters/helpers until they learn what to look for in your lifts.
    Can't wait 'til tomorrow, 'cause I get stronger every day!

Buy a shermworks free spotter. I use one for all of my training now and it is excellent.

Its actually easier to setup then having someone lift off to you. A few weeks out from the contest do a few sessions getting used to a liftoff again.

The thing is pretty cool, I also use it like a monolift too for squatting. Its actually better then a monolift in alot of ways because you don't need 3 spotters.

this is assuming you have a home gym, the set-up takes 30mins or so, so its not something you want to be installing everyday.
    960/530/749 @ 242
    903/524/738 @ 220

Quote Originally Posted by Ryano View Post
    2 times a month is better than never. Even if you are the most experienced, that's no reason not to seek help. They will learn and you will have spotters/helpers until they learn what to look for in your lifts.
    I agree.

I train with 3 guys who have never done anything like this before. I hadn't either.

We had a great time trying to work out how to use a bench shirt and squat suit.

I am strongest by far, but they help me out no end. They have learned alot and it benefits me no end now.

Teach them and it will help you.
    Best lifts @ 226 lbs

Squat - 903
    Bench - 573 / 617 @ 246
    Dead - 727

Best Total - 2204 lbs @ 226 18/07/2010

Can you bench in a power rack. A substitute for board work could be rack lockouts.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    Can you bench in a power rack. A substitute for board work could be rack lockouts.
    I thought he was specifically asking about shirted work. For raw work, I would agree, but you can't do rack lockouts in a shirt.

I always do my work Alone in the Rack. Just worried about Boards and Liftoffs mostly.
    Plus alone I cant get into a really tight shirt. Thanks for the responses.
    HEAVY BENCH!!!

I drive 45 minutes each way twice a week to train.

Think about it, is being the strongest guy in your crew, driving an hour to the gym, and spending some money to train really worse than training alone?

As I recall, Vincent used to drive about 200 miles each way to train with the Metal Militia guys every weekend.
    Last edited by KarstenDD; 09-13-2009 at 08:36 PM.
    Roll Tide.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryano View Post
    I thought he was specifically asking about shirted work. For raw work, I would agree, but you can't do rack lockouts in a shirt.
    I do them all the time with no problem...you just gotta be really careful because its not the bar touching on one center spot, its touching on both sides and it can throw you off if you hit one side first too fast.
    Current Stats:
    5'8" @ 204lbs

2013 Goals (single ply):
    1700lbs total

Quote Originally Posted by evilxxx View Post
    I do them all the time with no problem...you just gotta be really careful because its not the bar touching on one center spot, its touching on both sides and it can throw you off if you hit one side first too fast.
    I've always done rack lockouts from the bottom of the lift, not the top. You can't do that in a shirt. Maybe you do them differently. That's fine.

Interesting, using rack lockouts in the same way as Boards.
    HEAVY BENCH!!!

If there's a crew that you can train with an hour away, then you should be there training with them. Rather than worry about them not being able to help you with feedback, maybe you could teach them a few things while they load, spot and lft off for you. Pretty good trade, right? Maybe they'll get stronger for having you there and maybe they'll learn something. Hell, maybe they'll learn enough to start giving you appropriate feedback.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

I'm in no way experienced enough to answer this question, but I've heard of people putting some padding on the pins and using that instead of boards.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!