Thread: Pre / Post Workout Shakes

Wannabebig Member

Pre / Post Workout Shakes

I train first thing in the morning, so at the moment take 30g isolate when I get up, with about 50g of simple carbs (Maximuscle Viper) plus 5g creatine, then go and do my workout (Weights for an hour).
    After workout I then have another 30g of Protein, 50g of simple carbs (maltodexdrin), 5g of Glutamine and 5g of creatine.

My question is as I get up and train virtually straight away, can I factor my pre workout protein/carbs into the total I need for post workout, or should I be doing as I do now, and treat the two as separate?? (As together its a fair amount of total carb allowance for the day and I then have to really watch the carbs for the rest)
    Last edited by Radeon; 10-11-2009 at 01:19 PM.

What you are doing is fine. What are your current goals with your weight?

Wannabebig Member
    At the moment Im trying to do a slow bulk without packing on loads of weight, so through the day after the shakes im having to really watch those carbs (For evening meals etc). Having oats around lunch time to keep me going, with fish, cottage cheese, protein bar etc to keep the intake up, although Ive heard so many different versions of 1-1.5g per pounds im still a little undecided about exactly howo much. Overall I have about 170 carbs, 220 protein, 70g fat, and im 5'8, 165lbs (lean mass)

ive heard the protein youre taking in pre workout is really helping you more post workout then your post workout protein drink. Im honestly not sure, ive gotten so stuck in my ways of taking a high sugar post workout drink that even with conflicting info i still do it that way. I now have an apple and protein with water pre-workout. I would think having slower acting carbs would be good pre-workout but then again it is first thing in the morning and that sugar'y drink youre downing is probably restoring your levels from your sleep-fast helping you to lift more.

to sum it up, i think what youre doing is good. As long as youre not putting on unwanted fat