Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The journey of a fat guy

The journey of a fat guy

To start I will tell you a bit about myself. I am 35 years old and weigh 200Lbs. I am 58 and I am about 30-40Lbs overweight. I have never seriously worked-out in my life other than when I was in the military and that wasn't weight training! Now I have gotten fat and lazy! I have two boys ages 3 and 1 and I want to be in shape to keep up with them in the next few years.

My goal is to lose the fat and gain muscle. I have just started my weight loss diet. I am consuming aprox. 2000 cal. including protien shake (x2) day and creatine shake pre-workout.

I started my work out routine yesterday.
    Monday September 14, 2009

My routine consists of Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays

In the mornings of each work out days I do the The tabata protocol for 4 minutes on the elliptical trainer.

At night I do 5 Min low intensity pre-work-out on the elliptical trainer

25 min. of interval training post-workout on the elliptical trainer.

reps x sets
    Squat 3x8
    Straight leg deadlift 3x8
    Bench press 3x8
    Seated Row 3x8
    Triceps pushdown 3x8
    seated Bicep curls 3x8

Starting Weights
    Squat 150 lbs
    Straight leg deadlift 150 lbs
    Bench press 160 lbs
    Seated Row 160 lbs
    Triceps pushdown 120 lbs
    seated Bicep curls 120 lbs

It took me 25 minutes to complete the weight lifting routine and I did not push myself to failure but by the 3rd set I couldnt do more than 10 reps, so I will keep it at 8. I took only 15- 20 seconds between each set and 1-2 minutes between each exercise.

I am not feeling sore this morning so I am unsure if that is a good or bad thing.

I will try to post photos of me and video of my workout as I am using a bowflex and would like to correct my form. (unfortunately free weights and a rack are not an option for me right now as I have this bowflex so I need to start with it until it has become obsolete when I run out of resistance bars as this equipment is limited to 210 lbs)
    Last edited by busterdouglas; 09-22-2009 at 08:20 AM.

Wednesday September 16

I did the The tabata protocol for 4 minutes on the elliptical trainer in the morning.

Last night I couldnt increase weights by 5lbs as it is a limitation on the bowflex, so I increased by 10lbs. I was able to just do 8 reps. I also changed a few exercises outlined below. I took only 15- 20 seconds between each set and 1 minute between each exercise. I completed the routine in 20 minutes so I am unsure if I need to add another exercise to keep it at 25 minutes.

I did 5 Min low intensity pre-work-out on the elliptical trainer

Squat 160 lbs
    Straight leg deadlift 160 lbs
    bent over barbell row 160lbs
    Bench press 170 lbs
    French Press 170 lbs
    Standing barbell Curls 120 lbs

Im still trying to find a routine that works without having a long rest time between exercises. I wanted to do pull-ups or chin ups but I dont have anywhere to do them so I did barbell curls instead.
    Last edited by busterdouglas; 09-22-2009 at 08:20 AM.

Friday September 18, 2009

I did the The tabata protocol for 4 minutes on the elliptical trainer in the morning.

I increased by 10lbs. I was able to just do 8 reps. I took only 15- 20 seconds between each set and 1 1/2 minute between each exercise. I completed the routine in 25 minutes.

I did 5 Min low intensity pre-work-out on the elliptical trainer.

Squat 170 lbs
    Straight leg deadlift 170 lbs
    bent over barbell row 170lbs
    Bench press 180 lbs
    Triceps extensions 150 lbs
    Chest Flys 120 lbs
    30 AB crunches 100 lbs

I am experiencing lower back ache (burning) during my squats, deadlift and bent over barbell row, but the aching feeling stops after my workout, so I am unsure if it is incorrect form or overworking my lower back with these 3 exercises in a row or if it is just because these muscles are not used to this stress. I go through the steps in my head every time to try and make sure I am getting proper form.
    (feet shoulder width apart, feet at 35 degree angle. Chest out, shoulders back, back arched, head up, inhale, decent, Hold breath, tighten up everything, hips lower than knees when in the hole, knees slightly past toes when in the hole, drive hips up first while maintain an arched back, push with quads, exhale at top) Am I missing anything crucial?

I am really starting to enjoy myself and I find myself looking forward to my next workout. I have not lost any weight yet but I do feel a bit stronger after 1 week.

Although losing fat weight is my primary goal, feeling stronger each day is taking over and I am not sure I am on the same path that I originally wanted to be on. I realize it is only the first week but I was hoping to drop 2 lbs already.

I will record a video on my workout to view my form. I will post it for critique but worried I may get mocked because I am using the bowflex and I may look stupid doing it.
    Last edited by busterdouglas; 09-22-2009 at 08:21 AM.

September 21, 2009

I increased by 10lbs. I was able to just do 8 reps. I took only 15- 20 seconds between each set and 1 1/2 minute between each exercise. I completed the routine in 25 minutes.

5 min. of interval training post-workout on the elliptical trainer. I was a bit tired to do cardio as I started my workout late.

Squat 180 lbs
    Straight leg deadlift 180 lbs
    bent over barbell row 180lbs
    Bench press 190 lbs
    Triceps extensions 130 lbs (Dropped the weight down)
    Chest Flys (didnt do)
    30 AB crunches 120 lbs
    Last edited by busterdouglas; 09-24-2009 at 11:34 AM.

September 23, 2009

Squat 190 lbs
    Straight leg deadlift 190 lbs
    bent over barbell row 190lbs
    Bench press 200 lbs
    Triceps extensions 140 lbs
    Chest Flys 140
    30 AB crunches 130 lbs
    Last edited by busterdouglas; 09-24-2009 at 11:34 AM.

September 28, 2009

Squat 200 lbs
    Straight leg deadlift 200 lbs
    bent over barbell row 200 lbs
    Bench press 210 lbs
    Chest Flys 140
    30 AB crunches 140 lbs

I have maxed out on weights (210 lbs) so I will have to increase my reps to 10-15. Not sure how this will affect my strength gains.

I am looking into my options for free weights or adding 2x100 lbs power rods.

October 2, 2009

Squat 210 lbs
    Straight leg deadlift 210 lbs
    bent over barbell row 210 lbs
    Bench press 210 lbs
    Chest Flys 140
    30 AB crunches 140 lbs

Looks like I will need to buy the power rod upgrade from 210 to 310. For my next workout I will do 1 more set and increase reps to 10
    Last edited by busterdouglas; 10-06-2009 at 01:04 PM.

October 5, 2009

didnt do the The tabata protocol in the morning.

Squat 210 lbs
    Bench press 210 lbs
    Triceps extensions 160 lbs
    Chest Flys 160
    30 AB crunches 140 lbs

I did 1 more set and increase reps to 10

October 7, 2009

I didnt do the The tabata protocol in the morning.

I did 4 sets and 10 reps

Squat 210 lbs
    Bench press 210 lbs
    Chest Flys 160
    30 AB crunches 140 lbs

You are outgrowing that Bowflex. Start scrounging around the yard sales for used weight equipment
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Yes I am outgrowing this machine. My wife wants to buy the 100lbs power bar extension upgrade for this machine increasing the total resistance to 310 lbs. But I am now looking at a bench w/ squat rack and free weights instead. My wife thinks I am going to injure myself without a spotter doing squats and overhead bench, as I really want to start SS. Anyone know of a good bench/squat rack that has some sort of safety system?

To date I have only dropped 2-3 lbs but there is already a noticable difference in fat loss. I am feeling stronger as well. Is it possible to maintain the same body weight while losing fat and building muscle?

I am thinking of something like this: Powerline Power Rack

With the wide "walk-in" design there is plenty of side-to-side movement for a variety of exercises such as squats, incline, decline, flat and military presses as well as shrugs and calf raises. Complete with 18 positions, two heat tempered lift-offs and two saber style safety rods so you can keep your exercise routine the way it should be simple and effective.
    Last edited by busterdouglas; 10-09-2009 at 09:25 AM.

I have that same cage (basically). It is a good investment and will allow you to squat and bench safely.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

It appears to only take up about x 44"L x 46"W so it will fit ok in my workout room. The only additional cost is the free weights and bar.

My wife can claim the expense through her work up to $1200 or so as a taxble income, so really it will only cost 60% out of pocket which is why the bowflex was purchased cause of the price we paid.

So this would only cost me about $275.00 taxes in.

The weights and bar will cost about the same at $1.00/ pound which seems to be average price I have found.

Just be prepared to break into the lifting s.l.o.w.l.y...there is a HUGE difference between a BowFlex and free weights.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Exactly, I will have to prety much start from scratch and I realize I cant bench/squat even close to the same weights as I am doing on the bowflex.

I wont be able to squat 3 days a week wither.

Do you think starting SS will be too much even with lower weights?
    Last edited by busterdouglas; 10-09-2009 at 10:06 AM.

October 9, 2009

I didnt do the The tabata protocol in the morning.

I did 4 sets and 10 reps

Bench press 210 lbs
    Chest Flys 160
    Pull downs 210 lbs
    Seated rows 210 lbs

Doing squats has become obsolete on the bowflex, so I have decided to start working my upper body strength for when I get the power rack. My legs are very strong, so I have no concerns with them not being strong enough to do the lifts when I switch to free weights.

October 12, 2009

I didnt have time to do post-workout on the elliptical trainer.

I did 4 sets and 10 reps

Bench press 210 lbs
    Chest Flys 160
    Pull downs 210 lbs
    Seated rows 210 lbs

Good luck with the training man, stay consistent and you can't go wrong.

October 19, 2009

Well on the weekend I got a power rack, 300lbs olympic weights with 7' olympic bar and a incline/decline bench.
    I started the SS last night and was amazed at the difference between the bowflex and free weights.

I could have done alot more weight but I set my starting weights very low so I could work on form as I want to take it slowly. I have not squated or deadlifted before so that is why those numbers are lower than my bench press, but as I progress and add weight I am sure this will balance out.

I did 30 post-workout on the elliptical trainer

Squat- 85
    Bench press- 105
    deadlift- 95

I am a bit nervous about doing power cleans and overhead presses as I do not have anyone to spot me or coach me, so reading SS and watching videos is all I have to learn from.
    Last edited by busterdouglas; 10-23-2009 at 09:47 AM.

Woohoo...welcome to the real world of lifting. Cograts.

Remember it's not about the ammount of weight you start with, but it's about the weights you build up to.

For overhead pressing, there are tons of videos out there to watch. If you are truely worried about dumping the bar, you can always do them seated in the rack with the pins set to catch the bar if you fail. But you should be able to press standing up outside the rack pretty easily. It's not that hard to hold the bar in the rack position while you set it back on the saddles.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Quote Originally Posted by busterdouglas View Post
    Well on the weekend I got a power rack, 300lbs olympic weights with 7' olympic bar and a incline/decline bench.
    I started the SS last night and was amazed at the difference between the bowflex and free weights.

I could have done alot more weight but I set my starting weights very low so I could work on form as I want to take it slowly. I have not squated or deadlifted before so that is why those numbers are lower than my bench press, but as I progress and add weight I am sure this will balance out.

Squat- 85
    Bench press- 105
    deadlift- 95

I am a bit nervous about doing power cleans and overhead presses as I do not have anyone to spot me or coach me, so reading SS and watching videos is all I have to learn from.

I started in a similar situation to you aswell, I believe the numbers were quite similar as well! I had the Chuck Norris Total Gym, and slowly moved into a half rack and cheap bar/plates. Don't sweat not having anyone to coach you through the lifts, but I did hear that Mark Ripptoe has a SS DVD for quite cheap you could look into!

October 21, 2009

I did 30 post-workout on the elliptical trainer.

Squat- 90
    Overhead press- 65 - starting weight
    Powerclean- 85 - starting weight

Not sure my form was correct for the press and powerclean, but they didnt seem to be that difficult to do, so I decided to start off at a lower weight.
    Last edited by busterdouglas; 10-28-2009 at 08:33 PM.

October 23, 2009

I did 30 post-workout on the elliptical trainer

Squat- 95
    Bench press- 110
    deadlift- 105
    I dont have 1.25lbs so it is difficult to increase microloading wieghts, so I will continue adding 2x 2.5lbs.
    Last edited by busterdouglas; 11-09-2009 at 08:06 AM.

15 lb. jump on deadlift?
    No increase on squats?
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Sorry I edited the post, I had the wrong numbers in.