The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Bulking tips

Bulking tips

I just wanted to know anything anyone has to say about bulking any advice and tips (Reps, Sets, How much to lift, Protein intake, What kind of foods to eat, Best workouts for bulking, how much to rest/off days, and anything else).

I currently weigh 143lbs
    Last edited by DLgain09; 11-25-2009 at 01:58 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Pro Strongman | Moderator Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    I would recommend reading through some of the recent posts that address bulking. If you want to isolate those posts you can use the [Search] feature and type in "bulking".

Once you have done some reading if you have any specific questions then others should be able to help you with those matters.

Here is a program that I wrote up a couple of months ago to get you started:

How to Gain 10 lbs in Two Months:

Training - You need to train with intensity and intelligence. Here are your guidelines...
    * Train with weights 3-4 times per week, low intensity cardio can be added if desired as long as one day is devoted completely to rest.
    * Do not spend more than 60 minutes in the gym.
    * Lift challenging weights in the 3-10 repetition range. Doing 1RM all the time or sets of 15 will not be advantageous for maximum hypertrophy.
    * Utilize compound exercises and free weight movements (dumbells, barbells, etc.)

Diet - This one is pretty simple but I will give you something easy to follow, feel free to modify as desired as much of this is personal preference...
    * Eat aproximately 700 calories over your maintenance calorie number, this will yeild just under 1.5 lbs weight gain per week (12.13 lbs in 2 months).
    * Consume 1 gram of protein per day per pound of bodyweight.
    * Drink 1/2 gallon of skim milk per day, this is great for weight gain.
    * Eat about 1/2 lbs of lean meat, grilled chicken, or fish per day. Salmon is very high in calories and contains healthy fats if you need a boost. Natural peanut butter is also a calorie dense food - just be sure not to eat carbohydrates with it as carbohydrates will cause an insulin spike and your body will store those fats.
    * Have a meal before bed every night, this can be a can of tuna fish or tall glass of skim milk.
    * Drink one gallon of water per day to stay hydrated and help your body to process all of this food.
    * Utilize protein shakes to meet protein requirements and have an MRP shake after every workout (I use Opticen by AtLarge Nutrition)

Supplements - A great way to meet your goals with added convenience and training support...
    * For supplements it is best to keep things simple. Avoid stimulants or anything with caffeine (including pre-workout drinks unless you really need them). Creatine & Protein should be the basis of your program.
    * Creatine monohydrate with a simple sugar source such as dextrose is most effective.
    * MRP protein shakes are a great solution for post-workout nutrition, generally in the 300 calorie range, whey protein, and carbohydrates th replenish glycogen.
    * Protein blends are ideal for before bed or during the day. If you are drinking more than 2-3 shakes per day you may want to consider a lower cost whey protein for during the day and save the blend (whey / egg / casein) for before bed only.

Lifestyle- It is important to have the right lifestyle in order to achieve your goals...
    * Sleep at least 8 hours per night, this is important for recovery.
    * Avoid drugs and alcohol as these will hinder your ability to progress.
    * Try to keep stress levels to a minimum. Intense training does take a toll on your body and outside stress factors can also inhibit gains.
    * Write down your goal for each week, and month. Track your progress with measurable and achievable benchmarks. Since you have a weight gain goal you should be weighing yourself frequently.

This program will put you where you want to be, as long as you are committed to making a change.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 235 lbs | Front Squat: 510 lbs | Overhead: 375 lbs | Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

alright thanks alot this will help alot

If you have the time read through this recent article it'll answer everything.

Eating Optimally for Massive Size & Strength

20 rep squats and a gallon of milk a day
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

eat anything and everything that's not attached to the house, car, pets, children, or stationary objects.

make sure the intensity is there. bulking and not putting the effort forward is like giving a 12 yearold the materials to build a house and hoping for the best. it's just not going to happen. Put your heart and soul into training and give your body a reasont to build muscle.

if you don't, you'll just be fat while consuming all that food.
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

“Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

Banned
    1. Get your BLOAT ON!

2. Lift heavy objects.

3. Avoid all distance running or prolonged exercise of any kind.

4. Sleep at least 8 hours a night.

I hanvt been doing one bit of cardio is that ok or am i supposed to do a little while bulking

Pro Strongman | Moderator Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DLgain09 View Post
    I hanvt been doing one bit of cardio is that ok or am i supposed to do a little while bulking
    You may want to do some low intensity cardio to burn some fat without compromising muscle. Cardio is not required as long as you do not let yourself get out of shape/unhealthy (high blood pressure, etc.).
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 235 lbs | Front Squat: 510 lbs | Overhead: 375 lbs | Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Hows the bulk been going?
    5'9". 34.-----------------------------BEST LIFTS-----------------------GOALS
    Bodyweight-------------------------BE 280 x 1------------------------BE 300 x 1
    Jan 2009: 151 lbs----------------SQ 365 x 2-----------------------SQ 400 x 1
    Jan 2010: 221 lbs----------------DL 405 x 1------------------------DL 500 x 1
    Current: 214 lbs
    bulking again -- working on my DL

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    Natural peanut butter is also a calorie dense food - just be sure not to eat carbohydrates with it as carbohydrates will cause an insulin spike and your body will store those fats.

Excellent point.
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial

Olive oil will get some much needed calories and some good fat.

I was taught the "1g of protein per lb of body weight" should read "per lb of desired body weight."
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

I found squatting twice per week for different rep ranges worked well and I drank plenty of milk.

I went from 180 to 225 in about a year (lots of fat but plenty of muscle too) sit on 212 now.

It can be done, lots of people have gone from 150 to 230+ over a long period just make lifting and eating the main things in your life!

Good luck.
    Squat briefs only 625 @ 210
    Bench geared 525 @ 210
    Deadlift geared 650 @ 220

Captains of Crush #3

Building Mighty Mitts...

Quote Originally Posted by Nicky View Post
    Hows the bulk been going?
    Good ive gained 9 pounds so far i need to really start eating more though its been a slow progress. Im doing SS atm.

ive been drinking alot of milk and doing SS so squats 3 times a week

Good ive gained 9 pounds so far i need to really start eating more though its been a slow progress. Im doing SS atm.
    Its been about 2 months? About a pound a week sounds good.

yea but i feel like my weight keeps going up and down i gain a pound then i lose it i gain a pound and lose it every times i get on the scale

im 152 now but it always goes up and down i need to maintain eating alot
    Last edited by DLgain09; 11-25-2009 at 01:59 PM.

Weigh your self on the same scale, at the same time, in the same clothes, once a week. If I stand on my shipping scale at work its different at different times of day. This week I have seen it at 211. And 214 eight hours later. The only number I take seriously is the one I get at my appointed time once a week wearing roughly the same thing. as long as it goes up just a bit that one time each week, i am happy.

alright ill make sure im wearing the same thing everytime

Quote Originally Posted by Cards View Post
    eat anything and everything that's not attached to the house, car, pets, children, or stationary objects.

make sure the intensity is there. bulking and not putting the effort forward is like giving a 12 yearold the materials to build a house and hoping for the best. it's just not going to happen. Put your heart and soul into training and give your body a reasont to build muscle.

if you don't, you'll just be fat while consuming all that food.
    Does this include fast food?

I would say yes, but others disagree.
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

“Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

alright ill make sure im wearing the same thing everytime
    Just weigh yourself nakid or in your boxers every morning when you first get up. I usually weigh myself then, or when I get home from work and before or after Im out of the shower.

height: 6'3

weight: 175

short term goal: 200

Long term goal: Lean 225

I went from 165 to 195 lbs of mostly muscle in three months following my own bulking program. Workouts were divided between push day and pull day. Push day consisted of squats (3 sets of 7-10) dips (3 sets to failure), and standing calf raises (3 sets of 10-15). Pull day consisted of pullups (3 sets to failture), weighted glute/ham raises (3 sets of 8-12 ), and lying hamstring curls (3 sets of 8-10).

For breakfast I would have some kind of starch (pancakes, waffles, or French toast) and canned fruit, followed by a donut. About an hour later I would have 2 scoops of whey protein powder mixed with milk. For lunch I would have 2 cold cut sandwiches (usually turkey or pastrami, sometimes ham). For dinner I would have 2 more cold cut sandwiches, some salad, and occasionally a slice of pizza and/or fries. About two hours before bed I would have 2 more scoops of whey protein powder mixed with milk.

It's not the best workout routine or the healthiest diet, but that's what I did.
    Last edited by Mission; 11-22-2009 at 12:00 PM.