Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Frustration and Biceps!

Wannabebig Member

Frustration and Biceps!

I feel like I have read/talked/posted about this topic far too much but until the issue is resolved I will continue I guess. So my arms just dont seem to be making major strides. First off I wanna say I have a ton of respect for you guys on here who are fully dedicated an great lifters an just healthy overall. I will be honest, I am not perfect or even close like most of you. I am in college an so realistically the perfect, consistent diet just aint happening. I eat rather well but perfection is not plausible. With that said, I have a pretty good workout routine that has evolved from SS that began in the spring. I have been lifting somewhat consistently for about 7 years now an the past 3 have been pretty perfect. Ill be the first to admit, I am not jacked but I am in pretty good shape minus one thing...my arms. They dont get bigger. My chest is big, delts are good, forearms are even good, back is good, abs are good an could be better if I put in more focus, an lower body is fine. My bis an tris do not get bigger. What do I do? I have uped all my lifts rather consistently but my arms are not noticeably bigger or even defined. HELP

Only happy when bulking radioheadhead's Avatar
    what are your bench and dead numbers?
    Height: 6' weight:197
    BF%: ~12%?

bench: 280 x 1
    squat: 370 x 1
    dead: 360 x 1

goal: 225 @ < 10% bodyfat

Maybe, maybe not. We've heard it many times before, then they post a picture and everything is in proportion. Could just be perception.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Wannabebig Member
    im 5'6'' 165lbs an play lacrosse for some good cardio

BP: 235lbs

DL: terrible...200

Wannabebig Member
    Im sure most of it is cause of my form but I just cant seem to develop an dont focus enough on it but still does that have to do with my biceps thaaat much? Also my squat is 350

get your deads to where your squats are and your arms will get bigger. do you row and do pullups?
    Last edited by XMadmanX; 09-10-2009 at 11:24 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by pf289 View Post
    DL: terrible...200
    There you go, deadlift.

Im sure most of it is cause of my form but I just cant seem to develop an dont focus enough on it but still does that have to do with my biceps thaaat much? Also my squat is 350
    Are you sure? Most strong deadlifters have developed biceps. IMHO, if you squat 350 but deadlift 200 something more is wrong than your biceps not responding. I bet if you get your deadlift up, you'll be happy with your biceps.
    Last edited by BigTallOx; 09-10-2009 at 11:30 PM.

I think you should focus on getting that deadlift up as it will help you build overall mass and hence your arms will come up a bit too.

I know it can be a bit frustrating when people say deadlift of squat when you are asking about arms, but having big numbers on those really will pack some meat onto the bones generally.

But, you still need to be training arms effectively too. How are you training arms?
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

I agree with what everybody is saying. The body wants to grow as a system, not as individual muscle groups. If you have a major muscle group that is weak, then it will hold back the development of the rest of the body.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Only happy when bulking radioheadhead's Avatar
    I suck at deads too, and I have 17" arms. keep doing them. any major lift where you can't move much weight is enough reason to work on it, IMO. your biceps will get blown up once you start doing heavy deads.

you mentioned triceps, how are your dips/ weighted dips? those absolutely inflated my tris when I was starting out.
    Last edited by radioheadhead; 09-11-2009 at 06:53 AM.
    Height: 6' weight:197
    BF%: ~12%?

bench: 280 x 1
    squat: 370 x 1
    dead: 360 x 1

goal: 225 @ < 10% bodyfat

Wannabebig Member
    Are there any ways to go deadlift on a machine that is worthwhile because I literally cant get my form better. Ive tried so much to the point that its frustrating an i have really plateaued cause it just hurts my back now. And to answer the one question yes I do a lot of rows an pullups.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by radioheadhead View Post
    I suck at deads too, and I have 17" arms. keep doing them. any major lift where you can't move much weight is enough reason to work on it, IMO. your biceps will get blown up once you start doing heavy deads.

you mentioned triceps, how are your dips/ weighted dips? those absolutely inflated my tris when I was starting out.
    My dips are coming along really well actually. I was doing the assisted ones to start out an now I dont need any assistance an im working towards weighted. Like I said, every single exercise I have increased a good amount an all areas of my body have gotten noticeably bigger an more defined minus bis an tris.

There are a variety of deadlifts to choose from. If the traditional style gives you fits, maybe try sumo, stiff-legged, or romanian styles. But, it would be best to get the form down on the traditionals, it's such an awsome exercise.
    Last edited by Off Road; 09-11-2009 at 11:55 AM.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

i remember i had a football coach who would get mad when i would do curls, he would say they were useless in the field lol funny guy

well i agree work on your deadlift and work on that form even if you have to do lightweight and keep adding weight until your form breaks then stop

have you tried sitting curls and concentrating on one arm at a time? ive heard that works good ive never tried it but i heard you get a awsome bicep workout
    "Theres times when I feel like im carrying a heavy weight on my shoulders, but i dont let it put me down I lift it up high over my head and yell, IS THAT ALL YOU GOT? GIVE ME MORE WEIGHT I WANT MORE!!!" -JUAN(me)

So my arms just dont seem to be making major strides.
    After reading this thread a few different times I have a question. What do you consider "Major Strides"?

How does the size of your arms compare to your calves?

also, if your squat is 350, your dead should be 315 without trying. i suspect your ROM on squats is less than to be desired.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by juan23 View Post
    i remember i had a football coach who would get mad when i would do curls, he would say they were useless in the field lol funny guy

well i agree work on your deadlift and work on that form even if you have to do lightweight and keep adding weight until your form breaks then stop

have you tried sitting curls and concentrating on one arm at a time? ive heard that works good ive never tried it but i heard you get a awsome bicep workout
    Yeah I isolate one arm at a time an do slow curls over the head of a bench.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DMedley View Post
    After reading this thread a few different times I have a question. What do you consider "Major Strides"?

How does the size of your arms compare to your calves?
    See you kinda have to see me to understand. Im ****ing ******ed lol. I would say major strides at least for me is adding 25 to my bench max since april. My calves are pretty big, being a former soccer an current lacrosse player. My calves are a bit bigger than my arms.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by twm View Post
    also, if your squat is 350, your dead should be 315 without trying. i suspect your ROM on squats is less than to be desired.
    Not to argue but my squat form is actually very good. I had a psychotic lacrosse coach in high school who made us goal below parallel for squats. I was one of the few kids on the team who he actually complimented on form an the football coach also told me my form was near perfect. I am pretty short an have short legs so squatting is just naturally easier for me an I just do my best to have perfect form since its by far my best exercise.

Are your shins scraped up? If they're not chances are you're not doing proper form on deadlifts

Wannabebig Member
    No they really arent. I just cant seem to get good form.

I used to be a tall, slender fat guy - slender build with the beer belly, but not much muscle tone. When I started working out again, I trimmed up. Once I decided to start bulking up, I couldn't get my arms much over 16.5".......then I started concentrating on squats (heavy) and started deadlifting. My arms are over 18" now and I do a couple of sets of hammer curls maybe once a month. I work my triceps 2X a week.
    As it's been said, you need to work on getting your dead number equal to (above is better) your squat and I'll be your arms will come along for the ride.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

Wannabebig Member
    Ill work on it more i just get so frustrated. Is there any other forms of deadlift on a machine that would be easier?

machines are evil :-p

my training partner does sumo deads as he found he can keep his back a lot straighter, helps him from arching forward.
    She lied.... SIZE MATTERS!

PF289 - There is an easier form of deadlift that is also much safer on your lower back. Most high school gyms are equipped with a trap bar, and trap bar deadlifts are the most commonly used type of deadlift with most strength and speed coaches (DeFranco, etc.).

In terms of building your biceps, as others mentioned some of what you may need to work on is overall mass and heavy movements where the biceps are a secondary muscle (overload). You do not have to have a huge deadlift, huge squat, or be able to do 50 chins to have large biceps - but in many cases the inverse holds true and those who can post big numbers in the other lifts have good muscular development. It may also take years to build huge arms without proper training whereas you can put anywhere from 3/4" to 1.5" on your arms in a matter of a couple of months on the right program.

The first thing that you have to look at is overtraining. Biceps are a relatively small muscle group and if you are training them more than once per week or doing more than 10 sets per workout, chances are that they could be overtrained. When you talk about arm measurements the triceps make up about 2/3 of your overall arm mass, so building huge triceps will actually do more for overall arm size if that is your goal. For aesthetics I have found that having good deltoid development really brings out your arms and that is a commonly overlooked area.

How do you build shirt busting arms?

Let's keep this simple and use a program that is easy to follow and does not require any kind of special equipment.

The Arm Program:

Monday: Back (Biceps Secondary) - Chins, Rows, Machines, Rear Delt.
    Tuesday: Chest (Triceps Secondary) - Barbell & Dumbell Bench, Dips, Flyes.
    Wednesday: Lower Body - Squats, Deadlifts, Calves
    Thursday: Rest
    Friday: Arms & Shoulders - Biceps, Deltoids, Accessory Triceps
    Saturday & Sunday: Rest / Active Recovery (Sports)

This is one of the most basic training splits, but we will put a little twist on things. For your back day you have to do at least one underhand movement which will utilize more biceps, and at least one low-rep (3-5) movement.

For Tuesday's workout you are going to focus on pressing but also incorporate some power triceps movements such as close grip bench, dips, etc.

When you arrive at your arm day we are going to keep things changing. Each week you will try a different program for biceps - one week will be German Volume Training, one week will be HIT, one week will be all isolation movements done with minimal rest, the next week can be power. After your do your biceps movement you will then do 1-2 shoulder exercises and finish off with some accessory triceps movements (skull crushers, overhead dumbell extension, pushdowns); high rep range on these and fast tempo for hypertrophy.

Your biceps rotation will look something like this:
    Week 1: GVT (10 x 10)
    Week 2: Isolation (Concentration Curls, Supinated Curls, Spider Curls, etc.)
    Week 3: HIT(Run the rack on alternating dumbell curls)
    Week 4: Power (Heavy barbell curls and hammer curls)
    Week 5: Deload (5-7 sets of moderate reps not to failure)
    Week 6: Repeat [GVT]

For your Tuesday workout it will also include some variation
    Week 1: Barbell Bench Press, Incline Dumbell Press, BW Dips, Decline Flyes
    Week 2: Incline Barbell Press, Dumbell Bench Press, Decline Barbell Press
    Week 3: Close Grip Bench Press, Incline Flyes, BW Dips, Cable Crossover
    Week 4: Weighted Dips, Barbell Bench Press, Decline Dumbell Press
    Week 5: Deload (5-7 sets moderate intensity)
    Week 6: Repeat

Leg Day will also be on an alternating program:
    Week 1: Back Squat, Romainian DL, Leg Extension, Leg Curl
    Week 2: Trap Bar Deadlift, Front Squat, Football Squat (Machine)
    Week 3: Hack Squat, Dumbell Lunges, High Foot Placement Leg Press
    Week 4: 20 Rep Back Squat, Rack Pulls, Leg Extension, Leg Curl
    Week 5: Deload (Light Training)
    Week 6: Repeat

This level of variation will ensure that you are including all of the key mass building exercises, and also keeps things interesting. This allows you to hit slightly different muscles each workout and make steady progress. You will also see some advanced techniques mixed in with basic principals. The great thing about this type of program is that because of the variation this is something that you could follow for 6+ months without having to move to a new program.

If you train with intensity, get enough rest, and eat ample amounts of food this program will work for you.

Recovery is important with high intensity training so make sure that you are taking in adequate calories, plenty of protein, and using a good high quality post-workout recovery shake. Hope this helps!
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 218 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com