The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig New Member

I'm new to weight training. What do you think to this programme....?

I currently do this workout every week doing 3 sets of 6 reps of each exercise. Would appreciate and feedback advise on ways to improve it? things to add/remvoce etc.

Day 1

1. Overhead Dumbell Press
    2. Barbell Curl
    3. Low Row
    4. Situps
    5. Lateral Pull Down
    6. Bench Press – Lateral/vertical/lying Chest
    7. Skull Crusher
    8. Ab Twist
    9. Seated Row
    10. Dumbbell Flyes
    11. Ab leg raise
    12. One-Arm Dumbbell Rows
    13. Tricep push down
    14. Dumbell Curls Bicep

Day 2

1. Barbell Curl
    2. Shoulder Barbell Front Raise
    3. Bench Press
    4. Low Row
    5. Situps
    6. Tricep Pull Down
    7. Shoulder Press
    8. Ab Twist
    9. Barbell Shrug
    10. Peck deck t
    11. Ab Leg Raise
    12. Lateral Dumbell Raise
    13. Tricep push
    14. Dumbell Curls

Day 3

1. Barbell Curl
    2. Tricep Extention
    3. Low row
    4. Leg Push
    5. Bench Press
    6. Situps
    7. Overhead Dumbell Press
    8. Calf Raise
    9. Lateral Pull Down
    10. Hamstring Curls
    11. Shoulder Barbell Front Raise (
    12. Seated Row
    13. Leg Extention
    14. Peck Deck
    15. Tricep push
    16. Thigh squeeze
    17. Barbell Shrug
    18. Dumbell Curls

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

wow thats alot of exercises right there, have you checked out the premade routines on the website or starting strength?
    “The worst thing I can be is the same as everybody else."

It's a bad routine. TOO MANY EXERCISES / TOO MUCH VOLUME.

How long have you been lifting? Would you consider yourself a beginner? I'll provide links to simple and effective beginner routines that focus on compound lifts and full body workouts. YOU SHOULD STOP THIS AND PICK ONE OF THESE:

Starting Stength - Probably the best beginner routine, simple and very effective.

Westside for Skinny Bastards - another great routine with a little more variation.

Wannabebig 1.1 - An Improved Routine - a routine made up by the people from WBB

A selection of beginner routines from the Bodybuilding forum - there are some good ones in here.

A Simple Beginner's Routine by All Pro.

Search through the links and do yourself a favour by choosing one of them.

Also check out the Diet & Nutrition section for some top notch advice, this section of the forum will help you get big. Read this article about Bulking & Cutting it'll help alot.

AND

Acquire some knowledge here. This will answer your questions on size vs strength.

It's alot to read but it's the least you can do for your body.
    Last edited by Jboy; 09-14-2009 at 04:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jboy View Post
    It's a bad routine. TOO MANY EXERCISES / TOO MUCH VOLUME.

How long have you been lifting? Would you consider yourself a beginner? I'll provide links to simple and effective beginner routines that focus on compound lifts and full body workouts. YOU SHOULD STOP THIS AND PICK ONE OF THESE:

Starting Stength - Probably the best beginner routine, simple and very effective.

Westside for Skinny Bastards - another great routine with a little more variation.

Wannabebig 1.1 - An Improved Routine - a routine made up by the people from WBB

A selection of beginner routines from the Bodybuilding forum - there are some good ones in here.

A Simple Beginner's Routine by All Pro.

Search through the links and do yourself a favour by choosing one of them.

Also check out the Diet & Nutrition section for some top notch advice, this section of the forum will help you get big. Read this article about Bulking & Cutting it'll help alot.

AND

Acquire some knowledge here. This will answer your questions on size vs strength.

It's alot to read but it's the least you can do for your body.
    This! Routine you made sucks balls with too much volume..
    Lifts:

Bench Press 60kg 5x5
    Squats 77,5 kg 5x5
    Deads 112,5kg 5x5
    BB Rows 80kg 5x5
    Overhead Pr. 40kg 5x5

My training journal:
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=125238

I would never go above 6 exercises per day

Please read the stickies for premade routines like mentioned above. You've got way too much stuff (especially isolation exercises) going on. You need to stick with the big, compound movement exercises, like deads, squats, sohp, bench, barbell rows, pullups, dips, etc. Isolation exercises are OK, but they shouldn't be the bulk of your routine.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

Wannabebig Member
    Being new to both the forum and lifting in general I too started out with a huge list of exercises. My thinking was more is better, now it's quality over quantity.

I've been reading SS, Madcow 5x5 and a couple of other basic training programs. Nothing is set in stone and I've recently been hammering out my own version. Possibly a copy of someone else's work, I don't know, there are so many ideas out there. I'm posting it here to see what you guy/gals think;

I make a point of working out every other day so this may not work for some. This would be a 2 week period. It could easily be made into a 3 day workout without any issues.

A, B Format Schedule eg;
    A: Mon, Fri, Tues, Sat
    B: Wed, Sun, Thurs.
    B would then start on Monday and the cycle would repeat from there.

One warm up set: ½ weight before each main set.

4x5 on everything except Abs.

A
    Squats
    Calf Raises
    Bench Press
    2 Arm Row
    Bicep Curls

B
    Dead Lifts
    Lunges
    Overhead Press
    Power Cleans
    Skull Crushers

Abs (on 2 alternate days)
    Crunches 25
    Alt Crunches 25
    Leg Raises 25
    Side Bends 25
    Last edited by andrewj; 09-14-2009 at 11:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewj View Post
    Being new to both the forum and lifting in general I too started out with a huge list of exercises. My thinking was more is better, now it's quality over quantity.

I've been reading SS, Madcow 5x5 and a couple of other basic training programs. Nothing is set in stone and I've recently been hammering out my own version. Possibly a copy of someone else's work, I don't know, there are so many ideas out there. I'm posting it here to see what you guy/gals think;

I make a point of working out every other day so this may not work for some. This would be a 2 week period. It could easily be made into a 3 day workout without any issues.

A, B Format Schedule eg;
    A: Mon, Fri, Tues, Sat
    B: Wed, Sun, Thurs.
    B would then start on Monday and the cycle would repeat from there.

One warm up set: ½ weight before each main set.

4x5 on everything except Abs.

A
    Squats
    Calf Raises
    Bench Press
    2 Arm Row
    Bicep Curls

B
    Dead Lifts
    Lunges
    Overhead Press
    Power Cleans
    Skull Crushers

Abs (on 2 alternate days)
    Crunches 25
    Alt Crunches 25
    Leg Raises 25
    Side Bends 25
    Why are you making your own routine? Do you have a degree in kinesiology? Have you been an elite athlete? Do you train elite athletes?

Just do SS as it is. It is the best way to make novice gains and THEN you move on to something more complex. You are not qualified to make a routine... so DONT!
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 09-14-2009 at 11:58 AM.
    Sarvamangalam!

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMonkey View Post
    Why are you making your own routine? Do you have a degree in kinesiology? Have you been an elite athlete? Do you train elite athletes?

Just do SS as it is. It is the best way to make novice gains and THEN you move on to something more complex. You are not qualified to make a routine... so DONT!
    I think he was only looking for input.

Jboy pretty much nailed it in the head.

Wannabebig Member

I use to compete in road racing, cycling, many years ago, ametuer only I'll admit. I used some weights then and road about 900-1000KM a month. I also took kung fu for a time and used weights as a light supplement for that as well. I don't know other peoples bodies but I do know mine and how it reacts under pressure.

I don't have a degree in kinesiology but I do have a Metal Fabrication Cert.
    Health advocates say drink 8 glasses of water a day, is that everyone? So a 100lbs guy takes in as much water as a 300lbs guy? Personally, I'd be in the washroom every hour if I drank that much water daily. This can go on and on in just about everything from food to drugs. Everyone is different.

However, if the OP wants to do SS, I'm certainly not putting it or any other routine down. I made a suggestion, that is all.

Banned
    I'll say this.It doesnt lack variety.

I use to compete in road racing, cycling, many years ago, ametuer only I'll admit. I used some weights then and road about 900-1000KM a month. I also took kung fu for a time and used weights as a light supplement for that as well. I don't know other peoples bodies but I do know mine and how it reacts under pressure.

I don't have a degree in kinesiology but I do have a Metal Fabrication Cert.
    Health advocates say drink 8 glasses of water a day, is that everyone? So a 100lbs guy takes in as much water as a 300lbs guy? Personally, I'd be in the washroom every hour if I drank that much water daily. This can go on and on in just about everything from food to drugs. Everyone is different.

However, if the OP wants to do SS, I'm certainly not putting it or any other routine down. I made a suggestion, that is all.
    I know very little about metal fabrication. I can weld a bit, but thats it. Would it be a good idea for me to give advice on metal fab?

Thats all Im getting at
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 09-14-2009 at 01:30 PM.
    Sarvamangalam!

Wannabebig Member
    I know very little about metal fabrication. I can weld a bit, but thats it. Would it be a good idea for me to give advice on metal fab?

Thats all Im getting at
    After reading the Starting Strength website I'm going to retract the routine I copied here. What I mean is, you are right. I honestly should not be modifying an already proven system, in this case Starting Strength. I don't have the qualifications.

If fact, I'm going to start the Starting Strength routine as outlined to a T. I may even buy the book if the better half lets me use the CC again, I'm not so sure why I came off as knowing more than someone who has correct knowledge and made a successful career from that knowledge.

My ego has now been checked at the door.

Wannabebig Member
    After reading the Starting Strength website I'm going to retract the routine I copied here. What I mean is, you are right. I honestly should not be modifying an already proven system, in this case Starting Strength. I don't have the qualifications.

If fact, I'm going to start the Starting Strength routine as outlined to a T. I may even buy the book if the better half lets me use the CC again, I'm not so sure why I came off as knowing more than someone who has correct knowledge and made a successful career from that knowledge.

My ego has now been checked at the door.

take it in the arse like a man! "have you ever had your sh_t pushed in?"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KGRZuWXVhA