Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Direct TV

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas

Direct TV

Who has it? any thoughts?? Likes? dislikes??

Ive been getting the run around from Comcast since Monday about a cut wire that they will not come to fix and its a bunch of BS and I'm thinking of making the switch to Direct TV, I get more channels for about the same price.

Spoke with an online rep today who was extremely helpful. But I would like to hear from some people who have had experience with Direct TV, both good and bad.

Go for it
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

My parents had both them and Dish Network and preferred DirecTV far more. It was cheaper, the packages were bigger, and they had more interesting programming.
    If one person can do something, anyone can learn to do it.
    Do what you've always done and get what you've always gotten.
    There is no failure, only feedback.

"Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step".--Lao Tzu

Pro-Choice...ON EVERYTHING.

I have Dish Network, and the only thing that sucks about Satellite TV is that the signal goes down during moderate to high winds and rain/storms.
    My Training Log

You want science and studies? **** you. I've got scars and blood and vomit. - Jim Wendler

I don't have it, but know several people who do and they seem to prefer it. They also said the packages were bigger (har har), cheaper, and I will agree with VW, the programming did seem more interesting. You should try it out.
    Name: Justin Height: 6'2" Weight: 205 lbs. Age: 25

"Pick the right door, and you'll go free ... pick the wrong door, and there he'll be ..."

"It's the most fun in the park, when you're laughing in the dark!"

Their commercials are funny.

Do they provide internet access at all?
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

I much prefer comcast cable over direct TV.

I do not like the fact that in any kind of bad weather you can lose your signal. Most of anything I watch on tv is in the winter months and I remember a few football games that I missed because of bad weather. When it's the one thing you usually watch on TV you get pretty pissed when you can't watch it.

Our cable bill is around $200 a month. But for that money we get our broadband phone service, 30 Mbps cable internet, and digital cable with all the movie channels... we get around 300 channels or so.

Direct TV may have more channels but 95% of them never have anything on you want to watch. A comparably priced comcast tv service is probably around 65-70%.

WBBIRL are you in a place that normally has bad weather? For instance I'm in Southern California so bad weather is almost a non-issue.
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

I was fed up with Comcast five years ago. I think I even started a thread complaining about it. However, the trees behind my house are too tall to get any type of satellite. A neighborhood two miles away has U-Verse now, I'm waiting anxiously for the day when it makes it to my neighborhood.

I have DirecTV and love it. I am in AZ so weather is not an issue. In fact, it has never once gone out. For $127.18/month I have an HD/DVR receiver, another HD Receiver, 2 standard receivers, 47 HD Channels, 200+ normal channels, and broadband internet.

If you are an NFL fan, the Sunday Ticket Superfan pack alone makes it worth getting DirecTV.

I had directv for a few years in college. it was really nice. coverage rarely failed unless it was stormy. rain and heavy wind does affect service. comcast is soso.

Uverse looks pretty sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by twm View Post
    Uverse looks pretty sweet.

My brother-in-law got it about a year ago, it is incredible.

Once you deal with the AT&T people long enough to get it set up properly (like any television service).

Quote Originally Posted by d'Anconia View Post
    WBBIRL are you in a place that normally has bad weather? For instance I'm in Southern California so bad weather is almost a non-issue.
    I live in an area that see's what I would call "bad" weather about 5 of the 12 months so it would be an issue. Heavy rain and snow storms have caused my grandparents directv to go out on a more then desirable basis. They had no choice though, no cable lines where they lived but a pretty darn clear view of the sky.

Quote Originally Posted by shootermcgavin7 View Post
    I was fed up with Comcast five years ago. I think I even started a thread complaining about it. However, the trees behind my house are too tall to get any type of satellite. A neighborhood two miles away has U-Verse now, I'm waiting anxiously for the day when it makes it to my neighborhood.
    Your complaint about Comcast cable was the customer service. I have dealt with customer service people heavily for the last 4 years of my life. I worked for my uncles company dealing a lot with that kind of thing. One major parts company (sells amusement / coin-op parts) would not only never answer the phone but they: lied to us, overcharged us on shipping EVERY time, would ship a parts order in 3 different packages and charge us shipping on all 3 packages when they easily could and should have put the parts in the same box... said they didn't because they didn't have everything in stock... they were parts as common to the amusement company as food is to people. I was personally called a liar when I informed a manager that an employee (one of only two parts department people) did not return any of my numerous phone calls.

Then I had a customer service rep from dell put me through living hell about a dead hard drive in my laptop. Apparently their system hardware test was right about my hard drive being ok when Hitachi's hard drive tool confirmed it to be bad. Only after I ran that stupid test 3 times did dells tool confirm what I already knew. All the while (3 wasted hours of my life) they tried to sell me a warranty upgrade for the low low price of $200 per year.

But I do not fault this dell laptop which runs as smooth as glass now. Dell's ****ty tech support doesnt take away from the fact that this laptop runs great for me.

I do understand however and would have been pissed myself.

Quote Originally Posted by WBBIRL View Post
    Your complaint about Comcast cable was the customer service.
    It's gotten even worse. There was a recent fiasco regarding gift certificates when Comcast thought they were going to lose the NFL Network. I don't need to share my story because you can google thousands of other ones just like it.

Losing NFL Network would be a huge bullet in their side as far as I'm concerned seeing as how if its not on a discovery channel or the occasional movie most of everything I watch is sports.

I have DirectTV now and I like it alot. But, we plan on switching to the new Verizon FIOS. Since we already have our Internet and phone through them.
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

Sponsored By:

10/20/Life
    Vanilla Gorilla

Verizon FIOS

/thread

I hate comcast so I just switched Friday to Dish Network and Qwest DSL. For $10 less a month I get more channels, more HD, and DVRs. So far it seems good. The DSL is soooooo much faster then cable. I was getting 1.1meg down and 200k up on cable and now get 7.4meg down and 800k up.
    Nick V

Quote Originally Posted by Unreal View Post
    I hate comcast so I just switched Friday to Dish Network and Qwest DSL. For $10 less a month I get more channels, more HD, and DVRs. So far it seems good. The DSL is soooooo much faster then cable. I was getting 1.1meg down and 200k up on cable and now get 7.4meg down and 800k up.
    Thats great but a little FYI for the OP, cable is suppose to be faster than DSL. Dont know why/how unreal is getting better speeds with DSL.

I had Direct TV for awhile. Its a bit cheaper, not much. But they have to place a dish on your house. Meaning drilling. I dont like things being drilled into my house. Also you will lose connection on stormy days, they one day you want to stay inside and watch TV.

Cable is faster then DSL in most cases... my cable does 30 meg down / 3 meg up

I want FIOS... it's not in my area yet even though they have the fiber lines pretty much all set up =/

Cable vs DSL depends on the service. My comcast cable was "upto" 7meg down 300k up. I never saw more then 3 meg down and would average 1-1.2meg down. DSL through qwest here offers 1.5meg, 7, 12, 20. I am paying $35 a month for 7 meg and get the full 7 meg, and it is consisteny. Cable would be so damn slow from 5-9 or during primetime use. Since you share a node with neighbors it can vary depending on what they are doing.

DSL speeds depend on distance to the substation. Qwest in my area just switched to fiber to node so my DSL line only runs a few hundred feet to the corner were it goes to fiber. So that is why I can get 20mbps service.
    Nick V

Quote Originally Posted by hellagrant View Post
    Thats great but a little FYI for the OP, cable is suppose to be faster than DSL. Dont know why/how unreal is getting better speeds with DSL.

(What I'm about to say USED to be true, so if it is no longer correct, someone please correct me)

Cable is faster than DSL if your connection is the only one being analyzed. In general, DSL goes straight from your house to various hubs which connect you to your DSL provider. Your activity determines the DSL speed.
    Cable, similar to your cable TV, is connected to multiple households. During periods where your neighbors are engaged in heavy downloads, it lowers your own speed. In other words, your activity as well as your neighbors dictates cable internet speed.

Again, if this is no longer true, someone please correct me. I made my choice of service in 2003 when it was.

Smeagol on Steroids Mercuryblade's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shootermcgavin7 View Post
    (What I'm about to say USED to be true, so if it is no longer correct, someone please correct me)

Cable is faster than DSL if your connection is the only one being analyzed. In general, DSL goes straight from your house to various hubs which connect you to your DSL provider. Your activity determines the DSL speed.
    Cable, similar to your cable TV, is connected to multiple households. During periods where your neighbors are engaged in heavy downloads, it lowers your own speed. In other words, your activity as well as your neighbors dictates cable internet speed.

Again, if this is no longer true, someone please correct me. I made my choice of service in 2003 when it was.
    Cable internet has gotten vastly better, I remember in my parents house about 5 years ago the service was pretty hit or miss, lost connections, spikes and drops in speed
    I'm in a duplex, and live in the city, and I've never noticed a significant slowdown in my internet, regardless of the time of day. I usually get about 12mb/sec download speed. But the way the utlities are set up in one's are are probably still a factor in downloading. But considering I'm in a densely populated area and my internet doesn't slow down, I can't think of a worse situation.
    http://www.senseaboutscience.org.uk/

Starting Current
    Bench: 45 lbs Bench: 235 lbs
    Squat: 95 lbs Squat: 285 lbs
    Deadlift: 100 lbs Deadlift: 330 lbs

You share bandwidth with other people in your node with cable interent. With DSL you don't share with anyone else. DSL doesn't have the speeds on average that cable does.

Fiber is the way to go.

i routinely get 600kb/s downloads on comcast in south florida.. sometimes 1.0+mb/s when i get someone on bittorrent who is also on comcast. upload is capped at 125kb/s

my real world speeds hit a peak last night...

I sustained 2.9 MB/s download while uploading at 300 kbps