Thread: Conjugate links? Workouts??

Hybrid View

Conjugate links? Workouts??

Any links to some good conjugate workouts?
    6'0"--198# USAPL / IPF powerlifter
    ~~~ RAW Nationals July 15-17, 2010 in CO ~~~~

RAW Squat: 556
    RAW Bench: 390
    RAW Deadlift: 601

23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Westside Barbell for Skinny Bastards version 3. Search online, you'll find the pdf. Travis also has links to them in the GPP forum. Good luck!

Thanks, I have read numerous articles, but more looking for stuff that lays out a 9-12 week program.

There was one i used before and am unable to find it. It laid out a 12 week program that had 3 different phases. Listed lifts & percentages....etc.

Percentages? You weren't using the conjugate system then.

Unless you're thinking about the DE day, but there isn't a set 9-12week program, that's the definition of the conjugate system. Each person can make their own based upon both goals and weaknesses

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Ok...so take the articles, and just design something?

So can some one "sum" up the conjugate method then.

Read this first and then go from there - http://westside-barbell.com/westside...e%20Method.pdf

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

I've read it twice, ....just this morning. Now i am a SLOW reader

Ok, so is this to be done for a particular lift: bench or squat or dead only for a period of time? Or can this be used for all the main lifts?

It seems like you are thinking of linear or american periodization. The conjugate method is different. I wouldn't make up a program if you don't really know what it is. I have read a couple of books and tons of articles on it and I still follow an 'experts' program. http://www.elitefts.com/ws4sb/WS4SB.pdf

I used this article by Dave to create my raw routines. http://www.elitefts.com/documents/pe...le__part_2.htm Also, many years ago I read Louie's entire Westside manual. You can't argue with both of these great minds.
    Last edited by vdizenzo; 09-16-2009 at 01:53 PM.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

I would also encourage you to look at a lot of the pros journals after reading all of the articles too. Looking through these I was usually pretty surprised at how simple at lot of their workouts where, even though the system seemed really complicated.

I also noticed when I read his articles that sometimes he'll put a lot of emphasis on really specific exercise selection, like choosing really specific assistance exercises or choosing certain ME exercises. Like in a lot of his articles he'll talk about how you HAVE to use glute ham raises or reverse hypers or lots of JM presses and tricep extensions for your assistance stuff or something. While I think these are definitely useful and I suggest you at least try what he says, at the end of the day Louie isn't there to watch you lift and figure out where you're weak. Assistance stuff and exercise selection varies pretty heavily from person to person, so you need to find what works for you--the core of the program is what is important (ME work, speed work, etc). I didn't really realize this till after I looked through the journals of a lot of really strong people on here, and found out that most people kind of made westside training there own, and tailored the routine to their needs.

Thats why I think its such a great program, its really flexible in that way.

For instance, first time I tried conjugate training I did almost all good mornings for my ME work, with some box squats thrown in and kind of got nowhere. Maybe I wasn't doing them right but I've had them in my routine as assistance in some for or another for a long time, so I felt pretty comfortable with them. Next time around I just did squat and deadlift variations and got a lot more out of it.
    Stats: 11/15/07-First-meet--2nd Meet----3rd meet
    Weight: 185-----187---------198---------198
    Max Bench: 255---220-----------280------300
    Max Squat: 405----395----------440------460
    Max Dead:475-----485----------551------570
    CHINUPS - Bodyweight + 135, x1, dead hang. Still working on the one arm chinup.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazerboy View Post
    I would also encourage you to look at a lot of the pros journals after reading all of the articles too. Looking through these I was usually pretty surprised at how simple at lot of their workouts where, even though the system seemed really complicated.

I also noticed when I read his articles that sometimes he'll put a lot of emphasis on really specific exercise selection, like choosing really specific assistance exercises or choosing certain ME exercises. Like in a lot of his articles he'll talk about how you HAVE to use glute ham raises or reverse hypers or lots of JM presses and tricep extensions for your assistance stuff or something. While I think these are definitely useful and I suggest you at least try what he says, at the end of the day Louie isn't there to watch you lift and figure out where you're weak. Assistance stuff and exercise selection varies pretty heavily from person to person, so you need to find what works for you--the core of the program is what is important (ME work, speed work, etc). I didn't really realize this till after I looked through the journals of a lot of really strong people on here, and found out that most people kind of made westside training there own, and tailored the routine to their needs.

Thats why I think its such a great program, its really flexible in that way.

For instance, first time I tried conjugate training I did almost all good mornings for my ME work, with some box squats thrown in and kind of got nowhere. Maybe I wasn't doing them right but I've had them in my routine as assistance in some for or another for a long time, so I felt pretty comfortable with them. Next time around I just did squat and deadlift variations and got a lot more out of it.
    This makes alot of sense.
    Squat briefs only 625 @ 210
    Bench geared 525 @ 210
    Deadlift geared 650 @ 220

Captains of Crush #3

Building Mighty Mitts...

Awesome...thanks everyone!

Conjugate method RULES... Thanks for posting the links guys! Great read.