The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Banned

Strongman Atlas Stones

Here's a video of my first time trying the 300 pound atlas stone ( and only second time training atlas stones ). I was so close, but my shirt slipped down and I lost the stone. I'm sure my technique isn't the best, so if anybody has comments or suggestions please post them.

Video

Edited: I should really correct something. This was the first time trying the 300 pound stone where I got it off the ground, lol. The first time I did atlas stones 3 weeks ago, but couldn't really get it off the floor, so I guess I wasn't really considering that my first try, but technically it was and the video is my second try.
    Last edited by BigTallOx; 09-16-2009 at 02:09 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Impressive that you got it that close. That is a heavy stone! The hardest part for me is getting it off the ground without it slipping out of my arms but once I get it onto my knees I'm golden.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    Impressive that you got it that close. That is a heavy stone! The hardest part for me is getting it off the ground without it slipping out of my arms but once I get it onto my knees I'm golden.
    I feel like once it's on my lap, I'm not sure of the best place to put my hands. I was trying to put them around it, but I think I need to put them over the top more.

Smeagol on Steroids Mercuryblade's Avatar
    I always feel decently strong until I see crap like this.
    You are one strong mofo.
    http://www.senseaboutscience.org.uk/

Starting Current
    Bench: 45 lbs Bench: 235 lbs
    Squat: 95 lbs Squat: 285 lbs
    Deadlift: 100 lbs Deadlift: 330 lbs

I watched Tom's (Mutaffis) video and it seems he puts his arms lower once he get's it to his knees.

But I've seen it done with a high grip too. I need to make some stones, they're so enticing!!
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

professional psychopath
    very impressive man.

Couldn't tell but it looked like you weren't wearing any tacky?
    Clearly, daddy didn't beat you enough as a child. If you were in front of us you'd show respect, so don't be an internet punk. - Matt Rhodes

im no pro at the stones, but it appeared to me that your arms should not be so high up. it also looks like you have the strength part no problem----i agree with littlejake about the arm/hand placement.

Pro Strongman | Moderator Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    The #1 mistake that I see here is the level of enthusiasm and intensity. Stones are almost like deadlift in that if you are going to be methodical and careful you will not lift as much weight as if you "attack" the implement. Time under tension with stones will quickly depleat your energy and much of stone loading should be explosive. You want to rip the stone off the floor, roll it into your lap, then squeeze it into your body and fire your hips while driving the stone upwards. It is almost like a tripple extension on a clean - a proper stone load you are using hips, calves, and upper back to drive the stone onto the platform.

With your height this event should come natural to you. The fact that you are close to loading a 300# your second time out is a good accomplishment, but missing a low box like that means that your technique could use some adjustment. As others mentioned it may be helpful to hug the stone, and you really do want to squeeze it into your body and almost roll it up. The only guys who put their arms over the top are explosive stone loaders who are all hips. I am in between and can use hip power or can use quad/back power to front squat the stone up.

Here is an example of a max stone lift:

Video

Here is a stone run from a couple of years ago where I am loading to 54" which is a relatively high platform; as you will see with the lighter stones I am getting more hip power and on the heavier ones using more static strength:

Video

Hopefully this helps. Being that you are just getting started I am sure that they will be more comfortable once you have some more time working with the implements.
    Last edited by Tom Mutaffis; 09-16-2009 at 06:02 PM.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 235 lbs | Front Squat: 510 lbs | Overhead: 375 lbs | Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

those are BAD ASS vids tom!!

LuNa
    That is just amazing.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    Hopefully this helps.
    Yes, very good information, it's what I was looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    Being that you are just getting started I am sure that they will be more comfortable once you have some more time working with the implements.
    Yes, I'm sure. I think with some work, I could be pretty good at the atlas stones.