The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mission to Monster

I've finally decided to start a journal to keep me on the straight and narrow. About 3 weeks ago I bought a carb/protein mix and some creatine which I've been having morning, night and after workouts. I also have been going to the gym with a friend but haven't followed any strict routine basically because I just do what he's doing. 3 weeks on I have put on 5kgs (11lbs) and have chosen to start SS.

Workout 1
    Squats
    SOHP
    Deadlifts
    Chin-ups

Workout 2
    Squats
    Bench
    Power Cleans
    Dips

Thursday - Workout 1

SQUATS (work sets)

40kgs (88lbs) x 5
    50kgs (110lbs) x 5
    60kgs (132lbs) x 5

I'd never done squats before so I started off with just the bar and then put on 40kgs which was comfortable so I decided to keep on going till I was straining for that last rep, turns out that 60kgs was the limit.

STANDING OVERHEAD PRESS (work sets)

30kgs (66lbs) x 5
    32.5kgs (71lbs) x 5
    35kgs (77lbs) x 5

**** these were hard. Like the squats I'd never tried them so I did much the same but I didn't even think to add more than a few kgs/lbs at a time. I was pretty rooted after these but that's what I was looking for... a challenge.

DEADLIFT (work set)

75kgs (165lbs) x 5

I'd tried these before so I had a good idea of my limit. I started off with some warm-ups around the 40-50kg mark then went for gold on 75kgs. I was really struggling to get the last rep up but I did it and I'm happy with my effort.

CHIN-UPS (bodyweight)

BW x 7
    BW x 5
    BW x 3
    BW x 1

After everything I was pretty exhausted and ready to relax right after I hit up a protein shake.

Overall, for my first proper routine session, I am pretty happy with everything I'm doing. Looking forward to adding more weight to my SOHP's, they were easily the hardest thing for me but also the most fun.

I've been reading up on Rippetoe's books (SS and PP) so I'm pretty sure my form is correct.

If anyone can see anything wrong with the programming please let me know.
    Last edited by Jboy; 08-06-2009 at 04:22 AM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Continued on with workout 2 today. I went out last night for a friends 21st and had a few too many drinks so I really wasn't looking forward to a workout, I threw up during it but powered on like the trooper I am.

Saturday - Workout 2

SQUATS (work sets)

50kgs (110lbs) x 5
    65kgs (143lbs) x 5 PR
    60kgs (132lbs) x 5

These kicked my arse. Hit a PR at 65kgs/143lbs but I couldn't do it again so I dropped the weight and finished off. I feel like I can do better next time.

BENCH (work sets)

50kgs (110lbs) x 5
    55kgs (121lbs) x 5
    52.5kgs (115lbs) x 5

I've benched more than this before but I was being spotted so it was alot easier. I was struggling at 55kgs so I took a little off had a 1 minute rest and hit 52.5kgs without any troubles.

POWER CLEANS (work sets)

30kgs (66lbs) x 3
    40kgs (88lbs) x 3
    45kgs (99lbs) x 3 PR
    40kgs (88lbs) x 3
    42.5kgs (93lbs) x 3

First time ever doing these. It took me a while to get comfortable with the action but after watching a few Rippetoe clips and testing it out I was adding weight and getting my first PR (45kgs) for Power Cleans. After the 4th set last nights drinks and this mornings breakfast wanted to erupt out my mouth and say hello, not fun.

DIPS (bodyweight)

BW x 8
    BW x 6
    BW x 4
    BW x 3
    BW x 3
    BW x 1

After my second routine workout I am once again pretty exhausted.

Can't wait for the next

Video

This is my favourite part in 'Pumping Iron', it's what I think about everytime I lift weights now.
    Last edited by Jboy; 08-25-2010 at 12:34 AM.

Workout 1 today, still progressing. Had a friend with me so it made everything alot easier. I had a relatively quiet night last night so I was at the top of my game today.

Monday - Workout 1

SQUATS (work sets)

70kgs (154lbs) x 5 PR
    65kgs (143lbs) x 5
    65kgs (143lbs) x 5

Good day on the squats. Hit another PR then dropped it down to the previous workouts PR. I'm happy with the squats for now.

35kgs (77lbs) x 5
    35kgs (77lbs) x 5
    40kgs (88lbs) x 5 (last rep assisted) PR

Progress, progress, progress. I'm having alot of fun with these, can't wait for the next workout 1 day.

DEADLIFT (work set)

85kgs (187lbs) x 5 PR

Might keep it at this weight for the next workout. I felt that my form on the last few reps was ordinary so I might try to get comfortable with this before moving on.

CHIN-UPS (bodyweight)

BW x 10
    BW x 5
    BW x 5

Another workout over. So far I'm really enjoying the program and I find that I can't wait for the next WO just so I can try for a new PR. I was a little worried that I was finishing so fast but every workout has taken longer and longer.

The friend that I lifted with today used to be able to lift more than me 100% of the time but now I'm either on par with him or lifting heavier. Loving the improvements already and I've only just finished my first week.

Good work mate, you've chosen a fantastic program to get yourself started. Make sure you are going full ROM with all of the exercises and that you aren't using form that is going to hurt you in the long run.

How's your diet? What are your goals?
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

Quote Originally Posted by tomv View Post
    Good work mate, you've chosen a fantastic program to get yourself started. Make sure you are going full ROM with all of the exercises and that you aren't using form that is going to hurt you in the long run.

How's your diet? What are your goals?
    Hey tom, thanks for the support.

I had a mate come over the other day and had him look at my form. Everything was fine except for the deadlift, I arched my back at the end so I'll be working on that.

My diet consists of eating anything constantly. I wake up, have a protein shake and half an hour later I'll have breakfast and then I'll try to eat every 2 to 3 hours after that. Every second meal is a light meal. It's working great at the moment I was 71kgs(156lbs) about 3 weeks ago and now I'm almost 78kgs(171lbs).

My short term goal was to weigh 80kgs. I haven't really put any target weights I'd like to hit on my lifts but I think I might do that either today or very soon.

Alright I've come up with some target weights I'd like to be lifting by the end of the year / start of next year. They are as follows:

SQUATS - 100kgs (220lbs)
    BENCH - 90kgs (198lbs)
    DEADLIFT - 120kgs (264lbs)
    SOHP - 60kgs (132lbs)
    CLEANS - 75kgs (165lbs)

I don't think they're too out of reach but only time will tell I guess.

Some stats about me:

6'2
    21 years old
    77.5kgs (170lbs) - BULKING

Workout 2 today. I know I was supposed to have 2 days of rest but the thurs/sat/mon split was not doing it for me, I wanna have my 2 day rest during the weekend not the middle of the week.

Wednesday - Workout 2

SQUATS (work sets)

70kgs (154lbs) x 5
    65kgs (143lbs) x 5
    67.5kgs (148lbs) x 5

For some reason these were really hard today. Maybe because I was supposed to be resting?

BENCH (work sets)

60kgs (132lbs) x 5 PR
    60kgs (132lbs) x 5 (last 2 reps assisted)
    60kgs (132lbs) x 5 (last 4 reps assisted)

I hit a PR but then needed assistance for the last 2 sets. Should I have dropped the weight?

POWER CLEANS (work sets)

50kgs (110lbs) x 5 PR
    50kgs (110lbs) x 5
    40kgs (88lbs) x 5

PR again on these but my form towards the end was a little off so I dropped the weight for the 3rd set.

DIPS (bodyweight)

BW x 9
    BW x 5
    BW x 5

I was getting headaches throughout the workout. At first I thought it might've been my breathing but it wasn't that. Anyone have anything similar to this happen?

Few PR's and some things to work on, workout 2 over.
    Last edited by Jboy; 08-12-2009 at 01:39 AM.

Lookin good man! Getting real strong real fast in here!!

Dont forget that squats are sets across too... all the same weight.
    Sarvamangalam!

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMonkey View Post
    Lookin good man! Getting real strong real fast in here!!

Dont forget that squats are sets across too... all the same weight.
    Thanks ZenMonkey, always good to get a bit of praise.

Yeah I forgot about that. I've just been adding weight to the squats each time I do them, no wonder I found it hard last session. I stuffed up with the power cleans as well, 5 sets of 3 reps I did it the other way round.

2nd round of workouts through. I'm bloody exhausted from this one, I pushed myself as hard as I could cause I now have 2 days of rest and **** I'm looking forward to it.

Friday - Workout 1

SQUATS (work sets)

70kgs (154lbs) x 5
    70kgs (154lbs) x 5
    70kgs (154lbs) x 5

Pretty much a normal day for squats. I managed to do three sets of 70kgs (154lbs) today which was great.

35kgs (77lbs) x 5
    40kgs (88lbs) x 5
    40kgs (88lbs) x 5

Managed two sets of 40kgs (88lbs) which is my PR (only did one set last time).

DEADLIFT (work set)

85kgs (187lbs) x 6

Nothing new here just getting my form down. Did an extra rep to drain that last bit of energy.

CHIN-UPS (bodyweight)

BW x 10
    BW x 6
    BW x 4
    BW x 1

Today wasn't anything special I was mainly focusing on evening out the weight I can do for each set. My form on the deadlift is getting better, I might keep it on 85kgs (187lbs) for one more session.

EXHAUSTED!
    Last edited by Jboy; 08-15-2009 at 08:52 PM.

I had a massive day at work, 80+ trips up and down stairs with 30kgs (66lbs) of concrete on my shoulders each time, trench digging and jack hammering. I took it easy with the workout because of this.

Monday - Workout 2

SQUATS (work sets)

50kgs (110lbs) x 5
    60kgs (132lbs) x 5
    70kgs (154lbs) x 5

Slowly worked my way up to my current PR.

BENCH (work sets)

50kgs (110lbs) x 5
    55kgs (121lbs) x 5
    55kgs (121lbs) x 5

No asisstance today but I felt I did alright, I'll definately try to go bigger and better next time.

POWER CLEANS (work sets)

50kgs (110lbs) x 3
    50kgs (110lbs) x 3
    50kgs (110lbs) x 3
    55kgs (121lbs) x 3 PR
    55kgs (121lbs) x 3

Hit a PR so I'm stoked with the power cleans.

DIPS (bodyweight)

BW x 10
    BW x 6
    BW x 5

I'm going to have the best sleep tonight. Also got on the scales and was 80kgs (176lbs) - 4 weeks ago I was 71kgs (156lbs).

Big days at work can be a bastard sometimes but I honestly prefer labouring to driving a desk all day. After I've done labouring I'm a bit tired but after sitting down at a desk all day I feel tight and terrible.

Good work on P/C PR
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

Quote Originally Posted by tomv View Post
    Big days at work can be a bastard sometimes but I honestly prefer labouring to driving a desk all day. After I've done labouring I'm a bit tired but after sitting down at a desk all day I feel tight and terrible.

Good work on P/C PR
    Cheers tom.

I'm mixed really, there are some days where I'd like to be seated with the a/c blasting and there are some where I want to be under the sun. As long as it pays well haha.

Can't believe this weather we are getting for winter... wonder how summer will go?

Haha yeah man I'm loving the warmth in my bones in wintertime but has me a bit worried for summer. I've got a mate who trains up in WA (Karratha I think it's spelt) in 40 degree heat. He squats something like 350kg...

Guess I should mix a glass of cement and harden the f**k up haha.
    My Journal

Lately I've been doing a bit of labouring so in the arvo I'm usually tired but today I decided that it won't get in the way of a workout and I'm glad to say that I got four big PRs.

Wednesday - Workout 1

SQUATS (work sets)

75kgs (165lbs) x 5 PR
    75kgs (165lbs) x 5
    75kgs (165lbs) x 5

Was so ****ed after these I had to just sit down and think about life, screw meditation.

40kgs (88lbs) x 5
    45kgs (99lbs) x 5 PR
    40kgs (88lbs) x 5

I thought that 45kgs (99lbs) was my PR, apparantly it wasn't... it is now though.

DEADLIFT (work sets)

90kgs (198lbs) x 5 PR
    100kgs (220lbs) x 5 PR

I did 90kgs (198lbs) which was a PR but something in the back of my head said do an extra 10kgs (22lbs) so I did.

CHIN-UPS (bodyweight)

BW x 12
    BW x 7
    BW x 5

I'm really tired after this one. Four PRs (two work sets of DL) and a fair few Chins... I gotta say that I'm happy with my wednesday.
    Last edited by Jboy; 08-19-2009 at 07:47 AM.

Good work buddy, plenty of milk and peanut butter before bed tonight and wake up a bigger, stronger man!
    My Journal

Yeah I felt like I was on a roll yesterday. I'm stoked with the way things are going.

Friday - Workout 2

SQUATS (work sets)

75kgs (165lbs) x 5
    75kgs (165lbs) x 5
    75kgs (165lbs) x 5

Felt solid.

BENCH (work sets)

55kgs (121lbs) x 5
    57.5kgs (126lbs) x 5
    57.5kgs (126lbs) x 5

Same as squats

POWERCLEANS (work sets)

55kgs (121lbs) x 3
    57.5kgs (126lbs) x 3 PR
    55kgs (121lbs) x 3
    55kgs (121lbs) x 3
    50kgs (110lbs) x 3

Dropped it to 50kgs (110lbs) on the last set because my shoulder started to hurt a little.

DIPS (bodyweight)

BW x 9
    BW x 8
    BW x 5

Had to squeeze this workout in because I'm heading out fairly soon for a night of booze and babes.

I had a big session with a mate yesterday where I did all the excercises in the SS program plus some ab work. The workout went for about 2&1/2hrs with plenty of resting between sets. I hit a few PR's and managed to equal in everything else.

Sunday - Super Session

BENCH (work sets / assisted)

50kgs (110lbs) x 5
    60kgs (132lbs) x 5 (last rep assisted)
    65kgs (143lbs) x 5 (last rep assisted) PR
    70kgs (154lbs) x 5 (last 3 reps assisted) PR

SQUATS (work sets)

75kgs (165lbs) x 5
    75kgs (165lbs) x 5
    80kgs (176lbs) x 5 PR

45kgs (99lbs) x 5
    40kgs (88lbs) x 5
    40kgs (88lbs) x 5
    40kgs (88lbs) x 5

POWERCLEANS (work sets)

55kgs (121lbs) x 3
    50kgs (110lbs) x 3
    50kgs (110lbs) x 3
    50kgs (110lbs) x 3
    50kgs (110lbs) x 3

DEADLIFT (work sets)

100kgs (220lbs) x 5
    100kgs (220lbs) x 5
    110kgs (242lbs) x 5 PR

WEIGHTED AB WORK

5kgs (11lbs) x 15
    5kgs (11lbs) x 15

I decided to go all out and see how I recovered. I'm noticing I'm getting bigger in the legs and I have a thicker upper body but I just can't help but notice that my arms are not keeping up. Today I feel fine so I might add barbell curls to workout 1 and the narrow grip bench press to workout 2, the new routine will look like this.

Workout 1
    Squats
    SOHP
    Deadlifts
    Chin-ups
    +
    Barbell Curls

Workout 2
    Squats
    Bench
    Power Cleans
    Dips
    +
    Narrow Grip Bench Press

This will be a trial and if it is hindering my performance I will drop the extras immediately

-edit-
    Last edited by Jboy; 08-31-2009 at 06:24 PM.

31/08/09

Workout B
    Squats
    Military Press
    Power Cleans
    Chins+Curls (supersets)

SQUATS
    20kgs (44lbs) x 5 x 2
    40kgs (88lbs) x 7
    50kgs (110lbs) x 7
    60kgs (132lbs) x 7
    70kgs (154lbs) x 7 x 3

MILITARY PRESS
    20kgs (44lbs) x 5 x 2
    25kgs (55lbs) x 7
    30kgs (66lbs) x 7
    35kgs (77lbs) x 7
    45kgs (99lbs) x 7 x 3

POWER CLEANS
    20kgs (44lbs) x 3 x 2
    30kgs (66lbs) x 4
    40kgs (88lbs) x 4
    50kgs (110lbs) x 4
    55kgs (121lbs) x 3 x 7

CHINS + BICEP CURLS (superset) x failure x 3

Workout A
    Squats
    Bench Press
    Deadlifts
    Dips
    Close Grip Bench

SQUATS
    25kgs (55lbs) x 5 x 2
    45kgs (99lbs) x 7
    55kgs (121lbs) x 7
    65kgs (143lbs) x 7
    70kgs (154lbs) x 7 x 3

BENCH
    25kgs (55lbs) x 5 x 2
    45kgs (99lbs) x 7
    55kgs (121lbs) x 7
    65kgs (143lbs) x 5
    70kgs (154lbs) x 7 x 3

DEADLIFTS
    50kgs (110lbs) x 5 x 2
    60kgs (132lbs) x 7
    80kgs (176lbs) x 7
    90kgs (198lbs) x 7
    110kgs (242lbs) x 7

DIPS
    BW x failure x 3

CLOSE GRIP BENCH
    30kgs (66lbs) x failure x 3

LuNa
    Your deadlifts look really strong mate! And your bench is a lot better than mine. Keep up the awesome work!

Thanks Luna, I'm still jealous of your squats though haha. Where abouts in Sydney are you from?
    Last edited by Jboy; 09-02-2009 at 07:29 PM.

LuNa
    Im from The Netherlands but i am currently doing a Masters degree at The University of Sydney. I live close to central station. You?