The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    life, one rep at a time

my first olympic lifting meet recap

olympic lifting meet at ETSU

first ever olympic lifting meet attended and/or lifting in so this was interesting. weighed in at 90.4kgs just barely making the 94's by 8 or so pounds haha. only real goal was to total 215kgs to qualify for collegiate nationals which would probably require 4 attempts made. also made a bit of a culture clash with the others as i was a fish out of water wearing an inzer shirt, house of pain singlet and bright red chuck taylors :P anywho, onto the important stuff.

snatch
    warm ups everything is in kilos
    20 2x complexes
    40 2x3 felt horrible
    60 1x2
    70x1
    80x1
    85x1

1st attempt
    88kg - easy openers ended up in a power snatch because it came up so fast
    2nd
    95kg - easy again same deal
    3rd
    100kg - just as easy, felt like i left 10k on the platform here 250 snatch isn't too far away

clean and jerk

figured this would be very interesting since i haven't done a jerk over 50% in many months that recollect anyway. had no idea if i was gonna split jerk power jerk or squat jerk haha

warm ups
    20 2x complexes
    40x3
    60x2 ended up going with a modified power jerk that i'll just call a sumo power jerk *a wilcox original*
    70x1
    85x1
    100x1
    110x1

1st
    115kg - easy opener and gave me my qualifying total for collegiate nationals.
    2nd
    125kg/130kg - solid clean and solid jerk but felt heavy and for good reason, was told after by the table that it was a misload and was actually 130kg instead of the 125k i called for haha
    3rd
    X137kgX - had an awesome clean on this and the bar hit me right in the throat and stayed there. cut off too much blood to my head so on the recovery the ceiling was moving in circles while i'm trying to regroup for the jerk, it never did. tried to jerk it anyway got it to lockout but lost my balance. should have had it but thats just the way of it.

5 for 6 in my first meet without really training for it at all. honestly i should give all the credit to naomi aka "nomey the wonder coach". she planned all my warm ups and attempts perfectly and basically held my hand and walked me through the whole meet. didn't have to think about anything aside from the one time i did math which was 100k+115k=215k. had a lot of fun even though it almost as boring as usapl meets with no one saying a word in the crowd but it was a very different experience and i just cracked jokes with friends the whole time and made fun of a few people (mostly myself). i don't know if i'll do collegiate nationals or not but i know one thing, i enjoyed getting the weird looks and comments of "that powerlifting guy in the chucks is probably slow" among other things and outlifting several of them and ruffling feathers of the others .
    Derek Wilcox
    181 class 935lb WR squat
    best meet lifts
    squat 935 bench 500 deadlift 700
    best totals 181 2050 198 2065

journal
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=128030

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

sweet good job! were the oly lifters all soft? I hear bumper plates made the oly lifter soft since they no longer had to lower the weight, thus eliminating half the work.
    My journal
    Goal(Current):
    400(335) Bench Press
    600(520x3 2xBW) Dead Lift
    500(495x1) ATG Squat
    Total: 1500(1350)
    365 Front Squat
    consistency and intensity.

Good job. Just goes to show you what a good strength base will do with some basic technique. What's strange is that you are actually in one of the upper weight classes in olympic lifting.

Quote Originally Posted by dynamo View Post
    sweet good job! were the oly lifters all soft? I hear bumper plates made the oly lifter soft since they no longer had to lower the weight, thus eliminating half the work.
    Whatthe****...???

Anyways, solid job man. Thats a killer total for a 'non-weightlifter'. I always thought you were a little guy though... 200lbs...???

Nice job man! What did your routine look like leading up to this? Did you teach yourself form or did you have a coach? From your sig it looks like you've got a pretty heavy powerlifting background XD
    Stats: 11/15/07-First-meet--2nd Meet----3rd meet
    Weight: 185-----187---------198---------198
    Max Bench: 255---220-----------280------300
    Max Squat: 405----395----------440------460
    Max Dead:475-----485----------551------570
    CHINUPS - Bodyweight + 135, x1, dead hang. Still working on the one arm chinup.

Pro Strongman | Moderator Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    Nice job out there, where was the meet?
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 235 lbs | Front Squat: 510 lbs | Overhead: 375 lbs | Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Always listening & learnin lil' power's Avatar
    good job Derek, we're not going to lose you from PL'ing now, are we....lol
    RAW/165's/ 365-215-360-940 ttl -Elite
    Single Ply/ 165's / 450-325-380 - 1155 ttl -Pro

Awesome work!!
    Sarvamangalam!

I think he's asking if Oly lifters have less muscle/definition, because bumper plates eliminated the eccentric motion of the lift (the part that engages the most hypertrophy).

I'm sure they looked about the same though man lol.
    Stats: 11/15/07-First-meet--2nd Meet----3rd meet
    Weight: 185-----187---------198---------198
    Max Bench: 255---220-----------280------300
    Max Squat: 405----395----------440------460
    Max Dead:475-----485----------551------570
    CHINUPS - Bodyweight + 135, x1, dead hang. Still working on the one arm chinup.

Nice job dude!

life, one rep at a time
    thanks, and no they weren't soft. their upper bodies were smaller than powerlifters of course but they were real bottom heavy. i actually had one of the bigger upper bodies which is a complete 180 from normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean S View Post
    Good job. Just goes to show you what a good strength base will do with some basic technique. What's strange is that you are actually in one of the upper weight classes in olympic lifting.
    yeah i was fatty mcgee for once, thanks man

Quote Originally Posted by Judas View Post
    Whatthe****...???

Anyways, solid job man. Thats a killer total for a 'non-weightlifter'. I always thought you were a little guy though... 200lbs...???
    i've been 195-200for the last year even though i just moved up from 181 in pl. thanky

Quote Originally Posted by Hazerboy View Post
    Nice job man! What did your routine look like leading up to this? Did you teach yourself form or did you have a coach? From your sig it looks like you've got a pretty heavy powerlifting background XD
    i didn't train for this aside from 1 snatch workout and 1 session for cleans. i have had the extreme luck to have a former female national champion coach me on tech in the past. thats the nomey the wonder coach i spoke of.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    Nice job out there, where was the meet?
    ETSU

Quote Originally Posted by lil' power View Post
    good job Derek, we're not going to lose you from PL'ing now, are we....lol
    haha no way
    Derek Wilcox
    181 class 935lb WR squat
    best meet lifts
    squat 935 bench 500 deadlift 700
    best totals 181 2050 198 2065

journal