Thread: Shoulder press grip (Dumbbell) is this wrong??

Hybrid View

Shoulder press grip (Dumbbell) is this wrong??

I was told by a fitness instructor that i was making a "big mistake" to do dumbbell shoulder press with my palms facing in towards my head instead of away from me to the front

i would like to know if this is true as i couldnt see why

i also had my arms tucked in close to my body too, kinda like with the weights directly infront of my shoulders instead of out to the side

i really cant see why this would be wrong though

Was there a particular reason that you were doing them palms facing and out in front of your body (Injury or ROM limitation)?

I would perform them as shown in this illustration.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 225 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    Was there a particular reason that you were doing them palms facing and out in front of your body (Injury or ROM limitation)?

no i was doing them palms facing in, like if i was doing a dumbbell hammer curl then just carried on going up, with the weights either side of my head, close to my head and not out to the side

i find i can lift a lot more like this, as im using pure shoulder to press upwards and not supporting my outstretched arm at the same time. and it doesnt put any strain on my shoulder joint, it feels like its just the muscle its working

now that i think about it im sure iv seen people doing them like that, doing a hammer curl, then pressing upwards to do the shoulders aswell, but i wasnt actually doing the curl first, just resting them at my shoulders and pushing them up
    Last edited by Mr_Banger; 09-18-2009 at 09:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post

I would also do them the same way.
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

Sponsored By:

10/20/Life
    Vanilla Gorilla

I'm curious about this too. I always do them with palms forward, with the same basic movement that's used with a barbell press, but I've seen guys do them with a 90 twist on the way up, and then again on the way down. I've always wondered what the point is with that.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SDS View Post
    I'm curious about this too. I always do them with palms forward, with the same basic movement that's used with a barbell press, but I've seen guys do them with a 90 twist on the way up, and then again on the way down. I've always wondered what the point is with that.

Arnold Presses?? Or would Arnold presses be considered 180 degree twist....Anyway I remember being told that really grinds up your ball and socket joint in ya shoulder when using heavy weights.

Mr. Banger - Part of the reason that you may be able to move more weight with a neutral grip, out in front shoulder press is that this variation actually involves more triceps and chest (less deltoids). It would definitely take some focus away from the medial deltoids which are typically what make your shoulders look "big".

I would say to stick with the standard form like the picture that I posted, unless you have some type of injury or flexibility issue that prevents you from doing that exercise.

Rememeber, just because you are using more weight does not mean that you are building more muscle or more strength. I can do quarter squats all day long but we all know that it is not the key to leg development (not that your movement is the same as quarter squats; just an example).
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 225 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com