Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Space thread

Space thread

Discuss whether or not life exists in the universe.

Post links to interesting articles or research papers.

Put up youtube clips.

Debate topics relating to the universe.

-------------------------------------------------

For anyone interested... PARALLEL UNIVERSES.

Video

-------------------------------------------------

Intelligent Life is yet to surface in the universe.

Smeagol on Steroids Mercuryblade's Avatar
    If you could take the universe, and put it in a tube, you'd have a tube, well... about twice as long as the universe.

http://www.woodstock.com/tim-and-eri...o/xKzaYHq8hbM/

I'd embed youtube but adultswim takes town youtube submissions about as fast as they go up.
    http://www.senseaboutscience.org.uk/

Starting Current
    Bench: 45 lbs Bench: 235 lbs
    Squat: 95 lbs Squat: 285 lbs
    Deadlift: 100 lbs Deadlift: 330 lbs

Yes, of course, there's other life in this world. It's 2009, I don't know why people would still not know this.
    23 years old
    5' 6"
    153 lbs

Bench: 315
    Deadlift: 400
    Squat: 425

"I'd be extremely ignorant if I were to think that 'we have searched the vast universe' for life, we haven't but based upon our own circumstances we are able to eliminate large amounts of planets from the equasion. The fact that the universe is unknown paints a nice theory that giant planet eating space monkeys can exist. Unknown does not = life."

You completely missed what I was saying. There are many things that contribute to my answer.
    1) The abundance of planets
    2) The versatility of life on our own planet (especially extremophiles)
    3) The abundance of the essential building blocks for life in the universe
    4) The amount of time that has passed since the big band
    5) The speed at which life started after the creation of Earth. The Earth is about 4.5 billion years old and there is evidence that life existed 3.8 billion years ago (although this is considered to be the upper limit... most scientists agree that life started around 3.4 billion years ago). Now 1 billion years for life to start may seem like a long time but for that 1 billion years the Earth was not static. Objects the size of our Moon would hit the planet often and even a Mars sized object hit the Earth creating our Moon. Life may have started many times but got destroyed. So perhaps it seems that once the Earth settled down life began to flourish quite easily.

"Where does this information come from? Any links?"

Research extremophiles and you will see what I mean. Talk to a biology teacher about it. Some life flourishes in water so acidic it can easily dissolve flesh. Some bacteria can exist within radiation chambers for extended periods of time. Bacteria can live in space for extended periods of time and not die. Multi-cellular life can even exist in places that require state of the art engineering just to see them. Life can even exist without the sun! That alone basically redefines where we think life can live. There is even promise for life to exist on Titan for this single reason.
    Brad08 has some insight for people who don't understand... anything.
    This is so ****ing ******ed it's almost beyond belief. So, if you eat 3k, you will automatically gain 3k worth of fat or muscle? Incredible. And here I am eating all this food, yet maintaining my weight. Fascinating.

You're one of those pussies that counts his almonds I bet.

This sort of has to do with space.

Video

This is a useless quote that means nothing but yet defines me as a profound intellect.

6'1", 220@9%
    Bench 420
    Deadlift 710
    Squat 610

Looking for the best supplements?
    http://www.atlargenutrition.com/

I've read a couple of the Michio Kaku books about Parallel Worlds. It's pretty interesting, but I'm not sure I can go for something like that. I think by means of sheer volume there has to be other habitable planets in the universe. Whether or not they are being habitated now I have no clue. I tend to think we'll be the visitors though, and not the other way around. In 3 or so years Kepler will tell us a lot.

Video
    Last edited by SDS; 08-28-2009 at 01:37 PM.

If this isnt proof enough than I dont know what is...

- Slave & Master At The Same Damn Time -
    Hoping To Compete Natty Early 2011

Maybe these guys can shed some light on it

http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/

enjoy
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 08-28-2009 at 03:58 PM.
    Sarvamangalam!

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Pilot View Post
    If this isnt proof enough than I dont know what is...

alien vs. predator ?????
    "Theres times when I feel like im carrying a heavy weight on my shoulders, but i dont let it put me down I lift it up high over my head and yell, IS THAT ALL YOU GOT? GIVE ME MORE WEIGHT I WANT MORE!!!" -JUAN(me)

if you guys have time go to yahoo.com and search "zeigiest the movie" its pretty good and keeps you thinking

it will even scare the crap out of you, kinda makes you feel like your helpless
    "Theres times when I feel like im carrying a heavy weight on my shoulders, but i dont let it put me down I lift it up high over my head and yell, IS THAT ALL YOU GOT? GIVE ME MORE WEIGHT I WANT MORE!!!" -JUAN(me)

great video on parallel universes. cosmology and the stars make me wish i studied harder and was able to go into a field like that.

zen, FES is amazing. it has to be an ongoing complex trolling campaign

Quote Originally Posted by BFGUITAR View Post
    "I'd be extremely ignorant if I were to think that 'we have searched the vast universe' for life, we haven't but based upon our own circumstances we are able to eliminate large amounts of planets from the equasion. The fact that the universe is unknown paints a nice theory that giant planet eating space monkeys can exist. Unknown does not = life."

You completely missed what I was saying. There are many things that contribute to my answer.
    1) The abundance of planets
    2) The versatility of life on our own planet (especially extremophiles)
    3) The abundance of the essential building blocks for life in the universe
    4) The amount of time that has passed since the big band
    5) The speed at which life started after the creation of Earth. The Earth is about 4.5 billion years old and there is evidence that life existed 3.8 billion years ago (although this is considered to be the upper limit... most scientists agree that life started around 3.4 billion years ago). Now 1 billion years for life to start may seem like a long time but for that 1 billion years the Earth was not static. Objects the size of our Moon would hit the planet often and even a Mars sized object hit the Earth creating our Moon. Life may have started many times but got destroyed. So perhaps it seems that once the Earth settled down life began to flourish quite easily.

"Where does this information come from? Any links?"

Research extremophiles and you will see what I mean. Talk to a biology teacher about it. Some life flourishes in water so acidic it can easily dissolve flesh. Some bacteria can exist within radiation chambers for extended periods of time. Bacteria can live in space for extended periods of time and not die. Multi-cellular life can even exist in places that require state of the art engineering just to see them. Life can even exist without the sun! That alone basically redefines where we think life can live. There is even promise for life to exist on Titan for this single reason.
    Yeah sorry I missed it. I agree with you about extremophiles though but that's life at it's base not intelligent life and that's the life that I think we would find if we were to venture out.

Yes, of course, there's other life in this world. It's 2009, I don't know why people would still not know this.
    As long as people still believe the bible my statement is still credible.

Earth as seen from 6 billion kilometres away (3.8 billion miles). Pretty humbling.

Quote Originally Posted by Jboy View Post
    Yeah sorry I missed it. I agree with you about extremophiles though but that's life at it's base not intelligent life and that's the life that I think we would find if we were to venture out.

As long as people still believe the bible my statement is still credible.

Earth as seen from 6 billion kilometres away (3.8 billion miles). Pretty humbling.
    Extremophiles evolved because they were always in extreme environments. If all life evolved under intense radiation perhaps every life form would be an extremophile according to us.

Extremophiles may or may not be the first kind of life we find. It all depends. If we find life on Mars chances are they wont be extremophiles. If we go to Europa to find life than the chances of finding an extremophile increasing dramatically.
    Brad08 has some insight for people who don't understand... anything.
    This is so ****ing ******ed it's almost beyond belief. So, if you eat 3k, you will automatically gain 3k worth of fat or muscle? Incredible. And here I am eating all this food, yet maintaining my weight. Fascinating.

You're one of those pussies that counts his almonds I bet.

My journal
    Goal(Current):
    400(335) Bench Press
    600(520x3 2xBW) Dead Lift
    500(495x1) ATG Squat
    Total: 1500(1350)
    365 Front Squat
    consistency and intensity.

The Pascagoula Abduction really got me into thinking about "aliens". It's a creepy story.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pascagoula_Abduction
    Name: Justin Height: 6'2" Weight: 205 lbs. Age: 25

"Pick the right door, and you'll go free ... pick the wrong door, and there he'll be ..."

"It's the most fun in the park, when you're laughing in the dark!"

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMonkey View Post

enjoy
    why did you post that? i spent over an hour reading mindless babbling!
    ain't nuttin but a peanut.

You will have gotten stronger when the weight that feels heavy is actually heavier than the weight that feels heavy now. Then the weight that feels heavy now will be a warmup for the weight that feels heavy then. But the weight will always feel heavy or you're not lifting enough weight. Clear? -Rippetoe

^--Sadly, so did I

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMonkey View Post

enjoy
    lol those guys don't seem to be able to shed light on anything except their own ignorance. i think some of them are just in it for ****s and giggles but others... damn.
    My Journal My FatDay

so how many of you hardcore space junkies watched the space shuttle launch last night?...

This is a useless quote that means nothing but yet defines me as a profound intellect.

6'1", 220@9%
    Bench 420
    Deadlift 710
    Squat 610

Looking for the best supplements?
    http://www.atlargenutrition.com/

i stopped paying attention after the first 20 delays/postponements. i did goto the one last year at Cape Canaveral though.

I'd love to watch a shuttle launch in person one day. Australia have got to start making space craft.

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Beast View Post
    The Pascagoula Abduction really got me into thinking about "aliens". It's a creepy story.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pascagoula_Abduction
    That was a pretty interesting read.

Quote Originally Posted by Jboy View Post
    I'd love to watch a shuttle launch in person one day. Australia have got to start making space craft.

That was a pretty interesting read.
    It was kind of cool. i brought a spotting scope to get a better look. you're not actually allowed on the island unless you have special access due to security restrictions. given that you're observing the launch across a mile or so of water, its quite loud and impressive. it was a good experience but i wouldnt goto another unless i could get onto the island for the VIP liftoff experience

Short clip to blow you mind.
    Video

^--Incredible.

That's awesome.