Thread: Work boots for squats and deadlifts?

Work boots for squats and deadlifts?

Ive got a pair of CAT steel toe boots, do you think they would work better for deadlifts and squats than a pair of running shoes?

height: 6'3

weight: 175

short term goal: 200

Long term goal: Lean 225

I prefer my work boots(Red Wings) for squats or deadlifts to any running shoe that I have ever had. More secure footing. I haven't yet got a pair of squatting shoes, so I use my work boots. Sometimes I use my Birkenstocks, as they conform to the foot and give good footing, but the boots are better, certainly.

I would wear the work boots for squatting (good ankle support, solid heel) and then just go with socks for the deadlift.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 218 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    I would wear the work boots for squatting (good ankle support, solid heel) and then just go with socks for the deadlift.
    I wish I could. The gym I go to has a rule that you have to wear closed toe shoes.

I wear the old skool converse all stars. They are SUPA for squats and deadlifts i find. I have the same probelm - we must wear in closed footwear which is homo.

Quote Originally Posted by bass slayer View Post
    I wish I could. The gym I go to has a rule that you have to wear closed toe shoes.
    I would go to Ross/Marshalls and get a cheap pair of chuck taylors or any kind of skateboard shoes with a flat sole.

Last week I picked up a pair of reebok skateboard shoes for $15 that have good support and flat soles (perfect for deadlifting, beginner OLY lifting, OHP, etc.).

Weight: 218 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    I would go to Ross/Marshalls and get a cheap pair of chuck taylors or any kind of skateboard shoes with a flat sole.

Last week I picked up a pair of reebok skateboard shoes for $15 that have good support and flat soles (perfect for deadlifting, beginner OLY lifting, OHP, etc.).
    Yeah I have a pair of skate shoes I could wear. Will they work for squating also, or will the boots still be a better choice?

Yeah I have a pair of skate shoes I could wear. Will they work for squating also, or will the boots still be a better choice?
    Skate shoes for deadlifting and boots for squatting. The heel will give you better flexibility on the squats (same reason that people like to squat in olympic weightlifting shoes).

TBH, I would go with the skate shoes with a very flat sole. Just my 2 cents.

Alright, thanks Tom. I dont know why I didnt think of this sooner. Hopefully it will make a huge difference.

Depends on what type of work boots you are using, lace ups, pull ons. Alot of the more expensive ones have alot of comfort padding in the bottom (I crush mine done with BW within a week), and the cheaper ones have very little ankle support and can allow your heels to 'wander', if you don't wear thermal/explorer socks. Elevated heels can be a little bit of problem too for DLing, but I've seen guys do well with an elevated heel too...

I'd stick with some chuck T High tops, solid base - great ankle support, and cheap.

I have these
    http://www.safetybootsuk.co.uk/image...Dark-Brown.jpg

Just a question, can you see the picture in the post or does it show an X where the pic should be?
    Last edited by bass slayer; 09-22-2009 at 11:14 AM.

I have these
    http://www.safetybootsuk.co.uk/image...Dark-Brown.jpg

Just a question, can you see the picture in the post or does it show an X where the pic should be?
    It shows a link-

You can always just wear the skatebording shoes for everything, or the chucks are good as well.

Try out the workboots and see how they feel - if you like them then stick with them and if not then try out some other shoes. My gym bag generally has between 3-5 different pairs of shoes depending on what I am doing (wrestling shoes, oly shoes, chucks, cross trainers, hiking shoes, etc.)

Am I stupid/naive for going barefoot for my whole workout? I was under the assumption that it was better for stability/safer. Am I wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by devongarver View Post
    Am I stupid/naive for going barefoot for my whole workout? I was under the assumption that it was better for stability/safer. Am I wrong?
    I do deadlifts in socks, but prefer something with an elevated heel for squatting (olympic shoes).

There is nothing wrong with training barfoot although you may want shoes for added ankle support when squatting.

I like chucks for both. Wrestling shoes could work too, though they are a bit pricey.

I've gone barefoot for all my lifting before. Now I'm boots for squats and running shoes for bench. For almost all my other lifts I'm barefoot.

I have been doing squats and deads barefoot but I just picked up a pair of chuck taylors to see how it goes.

Iron Junkie
    Anything would work better than running shoes for squats and deadlifts (even no shoes at all). They have a lot of padding to handle the repetitive foot-to-ground contact of running or other forms of cardio training. This combined with little lateral support causes some power output to be lost throughout movements like squats or deadlifts. Cross training shoes are a bit better but work boots or weight lifting shoes are your best bet because of the flat sole (solid contact with the floor) and excellent lateral support. Skater shoes would also be a much better option than running shoes.
    Weaves
    Iron Junkie - Go Hard Or Go Home