Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which should I compete in?

Which should I compete in?

I am just getting back into my training after a couple of intense contests, and noticed that there are some local events coming up. The problem is that they are on the same weekend and so I have to make a choice. Both events are on October 10th so I won't have time to train for either one really.

Option 1: Unsanctioned Strongman Contest - There is an unsanctioned strongman contest that is about a four hour drive each way. They have some good prizes and sponsors, but the weights are quite light compared to what I typically would look for. The promoter seems like a good guy and it would probably be a fun day.

Option 2: USAPL North Carolina State Championships - I haven't done any powerlifting recently but still think that I could hold my own. After checking the records I am confident that I could challenge the North Carolina total record for the 220 lbs open as long as I have a decent day on the platform. This meet is closer to my house, within about 1 hour drive but the entry fee is slightly higher than the strongman contest and I would not win any prizes here (other than a trophy).

I am kind of torn. Not sure if winning a USAPL title would mean anything in terms of building my credibility as an athlete and writer. I think that it would be fun to try something new, but then again strongman is my passion. Under most circumstances I would not even consider a contest when I am just bouncing back, but the weights are manageable enough that it should be fun.

What does everyone here think? Go to a strongman event and get back in action? Or should I try to break some USAPL records?
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 220 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Wannabebig Member
    I personally think you should try the USAPL. I kind of disagree that it wouldnt help you build your credibility because it shows that you are very well rounded athlete. Also as you said the strongman contest weights are light for you, so I think the PL comp would be more of a challange for you. As far as prizes, im sure you never got into competing in strongman for the prizes/money.

You do a ton of events Tom.

I say try the PL meet, be a nice change. Plus, as stated above, it'd be more of a challenge for you.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

break some USAPL records and hit a strongman next month!!
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

I'm going to go against the grain here and say strongman is where your heart is at. It's not about the drive, or the prize money, you obviously have a very strong passion for strongman. An event like this where the pressure isn't so much might be a nice relaxing event for you.

There is always another powerlifting meet. You also need to add in the cost of a membership card as the USAPL will require you to purchase a card in addition to the entry fee.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Judging from the fact that there is such a limited amount of strongmen on the forum, I dare say you are going to have a lot suggestions to jump into the USAPL.... So yeah, another vote from me

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    I'm going to go against the grain here and say strongman is where your heart is at. It's not about the drive, or the prize money, you obviously have a very strong passion for strongman. An event like this where the pressure isn't so much might be a nice relaxing event for you.

There is always another powerlifting meet. You also need to add in the cost of a membership card as the USAPL will require you to purchase a card in addition to the entry fee.
    This is what I am thinking, that I would probably have a lot more fun doing the strongman event since it is what I really enjoy.

You are right that I don't really care about distances or prize money (I woke up at 4 AM and drove 5+ hours each way to a contest on the same day two months ago just to compete). It is nice to have good quality trophies though - if you win an event you don't want some little plastic one that breaks on the way home. The strongman contest actually has trophies for each event winner as well as the overall placings I believe

The only reason for doing USAPL would be to build credibility as a drug-free lifter and to break records. I would not change my training or become a powerlifter so it is more just to prove a point I guess.

I just wanted to hear some opinions on here to see what everyone says.

Weight: 220 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Here is the information for the strongman contest. They have a max deadlift and I still have not hit 700 lbs yet so that would give me something to shoot for... although the jumps are 50 lbs so I guess I'd have to try 715 lbs

2009 Southeast Georgia's Strongest Man

Promoter-Tony Crawford
    Date: Oct. 10, 2009
    Time 10:00
    Location: All Body Fitness Center. 121 Main St. NW. Vidalia, Ga. 30474
    Weigh-ins-9:00-9:30
    Divisions: LW (220 and under) HW (221+)

Events:

1. Press Medley-dumbbell, keg, log, barbell. 75sec. time limit
    (LW) 75, 110, 170, 200 (HW) 95, 110, 200, 230

2. Deadlift-Last Man Standing. Both classes will start at 315lbs. Weight will go
    up 50lbs each lift.

3. Medley-Farmers, Frame, Tire sled. 75sec. time limit
    (LW) 200, 405, 250 (HW) 250, 455, 250

4. Crucifix Hold for time. 12lb Sledge Hammer in each hand.

5. Stone for Reps. 48” (LW) 200 (HW) 230 60sec. time limit

It will be more of a speed and conditioning event for me. I would hope to finish the press medley in under 20 seconds, pull 665 lbs, finish the medley in under 30 seconds, do alright on the hold, and then hit at least 10 reps with the stone.

The good thing is that based on the events it looks like a safe contest and I would not have to alter my training to compete. There are some strong guys down in Georgia / North Florida so it could be a good battle as well depending on who shows up.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    This is what I am thinking, that I would probably have a lot more fun doing the strongman event since it is what I really enjoy.

You are right that I don't really care about distances or prize money (I woke up at 4 AM and drove 5+ hours each way to a contest on the same day two months ago just to compete). It is nice to have good quality trophies though - if you win an event you don't want some little plastic one that breaks on the way home. The strongman contest actually has trophies for each event winner as well as the overall placings I believe

The only reason for doing USAPL would be to build credibility as a drug-free lifter and to break records. I would not change my training or become a powerlifter so it is more just to prove a point I guess.

I think you pretty much sealed the deal here. If the man reason you'd be doing the PL meet is to build credibility, then I wouldn't do it.

If strongman is where your heart is, go with the strongman comp!
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Quote Originally Posted by lonesXedge View Post
    I think you pretty much sealed the deal here. If the man reason you'd be doing the PL meet is to build credibility, then I wouldn't do it.

If strongman is where your heart is, go with the strongman comp!
    Thank you for the encouragement.

Strongman is my passion; that is why I love trying to help people get into the sport, talking about it here on the boards, and competing as much as possible.

I don't think many people stick with strongman unless they really love it. The beating that your body takes would not be worth it unless it is something that you truly enjoy.

That strongman comp does seem pretty easy, though. I think I would have no problem managing the weights for the lightweights so I'm thinking you would pwn everything in there. Doesn't seem like much of a challenge.

I'd go with the PL comp if only for the challenge alone.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

I vote Strongman Comp. Like you said, not much to change in training, and still something to shoot for...700. GL Tom
    JERSEY IRON POWERLIFTING
    198/220 Pro
    Currenty ranked #1 198 Multiply
    Best meet lifts @220 840/650/575
    Best meet lifts @198 875/585/630
    Best Raw Lifts @198 650/425/575
    Journal:http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122706

Eater of: 61 Buffalo wings in 8 minutes
    20 hotdogs+buns in 30 minutes

Where did you get that info at?

I wonder how many competitions near me that I'm missing out on because nastrongmaninc.com isn't showing them.. I looked on that site and didn't see the competition that you posted..

Is there a powerliftingwatch.com of strongman? (that all promotors log into and submit their events)
    Last edited by JSully; 09-22-2009 at 04:32 PM.
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

I've always wanted to do a strongman event because they look like an absolute blast. so i'm gonna vote for strongman, but then again, i feel like the colts waterboy trying to give peyton manning advice.
    stats:Bench: 285 goal: 305
    squat: 390 goal: 420
    dead: 405 goal: 445
    weight and height: 230, 6'2 age:18
    “No strength within, no respect without.”
    "Strength is not your physical capacity, its your indomitable will." http://freddy56.mybrute.com

NASA KY CHAIRMAN NASAKYCHAIRMAN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post

Go for the usapl record and get a top powerlifting ranking at the same time! I think it's a great feeling to have records. A record, pr or ranking lets you know that your hard work in the gym paid off. As far as credibility of being drug free. You can compete in a drug tested federations and still get accused of using banned substance. This continues to happen to me. Being drug free starts by looking in the mirror and being honest with yourself.

Have you ever competed with usapl?

Now, go break that record!
    Last edited by NASAKYCHAIRMAN; 09-23-2009 at 05:55 AM.
    TRAIN HARD

"BIG WILLIE" J.T. HALL

http://www.youtube.com/user/NASAKYCHAIRMAN
    http://www.houseofpain.com/blog.html?search_author=9

611 MISS ATTEMPT AT THE 2008 BP NATIONALS
    562lb DRUG-FREE COMPETITION BENCH PRESS
    491 COMPETITION UNEQUIPPED BENCH PRESS
    2008 & 2009 NASA PRO BENCH PRESS CHAMPION
    #1 DRUG-FREE BENCH PRESSER IN KY

I'd go with the PL for well-roundedness as the others have suggested.
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

Wannabebig Member
    just my opinion, but the USAPL is dumb! Go strongman, it does seem like thats where your heart is anyways

Banned
    Tom, you are 23 right? Go and enter the usapl meet and get some junior records in before you're too old!

Quote Originally Posted by Cmanuel View Post
    Tom, you are 23 right? Go and enter the usapl meet and get some junior records in before you're too old!
    Unfortunately I am a couple of years past the cutoff for the Juniors. The open records for North Carolina are within reach and as long as I had an alright performance I think that the total record could be broken.

Does anyone know if the USAPL has an "Elite" classification? This may give another reason for me to compete, simply to add to my strength athlete resume.

In terms of strongman contests I would be looking at doing additional events in November and December regardless of what I decide to do in October. There is still an outside chance that I could go to NAS Nationals in October but I have not trained for the contest and the turnout is looking to be very poor (Less than 1/2 the number of competitors from last year, and less than 1/4 the number from 2007).

Tom, I'm not familiar enough with your log to know what you are "bouncing back" from. I'm assuming an injury, and if so I would consider going to the event that is less likely to cause a set-back. Re-hab is bad enough the first time 'round ,lol.

Tom,

Yes, USAPL does have an Elite classification:

http://www.usapowerlifting.com/lifte...ipfclass.shtml

(they are lsited in kilos)
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Go Strongman! If they weights are light, you'll thrash the competition!

Quote Originally Posted by Beverly McD. View Post
    Tom, I'm not familiar enough with your log to know what you are "bouncing back" from. I'm assuming an injury, and if so I would consider going to the event that is less likely to cause a set-back. Re-hab is bad enough the first time 'round ,lol.
    I am just coming back from some overuse and moderate muscle strains. Competed in three heavy strongman contests over a period of five weeks (one of them was a two-day event) and it left me pretty beat up afterward. Am feeling good now and looking forward to pushing things with my training, but I also enjoy competing and figured that either one of these events should be "safe".

Quote Originally Posted by jp2 View Post
    Go Strongman! If they weights are light, you'll thrash the competition!
    That is kind of how I see it. In one contest earlier this year I actually went into the HW's just so that another LW could qualify for Nationals since I have already qualified 5 times this year. Ended up winning the HW's and qualifying as a HW as well!

The thing about this contest is that the weights in the HW class are actually light even for a LW competitor. There is another contest within driving range about two weeks later with some heavier events, so I may just hold out for that one.

Keep the opinions coming - it is very interesting for me to be able to see what everyone thinks.

usapl- go give em hell.

Do the USAPL meet. Getting an elite total, and breaking some PL records would be pretty damn nice to go along with all your strongman accomplishments.
    My Training Log

You want science and studies? **** you. I've got scars and blood and vomit. - Jim Wendler