The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    LuNa

Weightlifting Belt

Im looking into buying a weightlifting belt. I feel that it could provide me with a bit more security on my Squat, Deadlift and OH Press. However, i do have a couple of questions:

Do you think i should keep training without a belt seeing as i have only been training for five months. My current numbers are (in pounds), however i am pretty sure they will be higher in a couple weeks:
    Squat: 264x5
    Deadlift: 365x5
    OH Press: 110x5

I was looking at a lever belt. Risk here said that it was easier to get it tighter by yourself. What is your take on this?

Last, i was looking at a Titan Toro lever belt. Do you think this is a good option to begin with? I noticed it is 4 inches wide which i understood to be the normal width of a belt.

Also, instructions on the use of a belt, tightness etc. would be helpful.

Thanks!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Using a belt would be fine. I recommend using when your sets start getting closer to your max. If you use it all of the time your core will get weaker. As for the tightness of the belt, find what you are comfortable with. I like to crank it down all the way and others like to keep it a little loose to push their stomach into it. Nice numbers also considering you have only been training for five months.

I don't use a belt until I get close to a max. For all 3 of my geared lifts I use a lever belt and I love it. The only thing I hate is when I have to adjust it. As far as tightness goes, I think it comes down to being comfortable.
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

Sponsored By:

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements
    Vanilla Gorilla

Like most, I don't put the belt on until the weight gets heavy. I switched to lever belts because they're much easier to get tight, especially with gear on. I also have a Toro bench belt. They are pretty nice belts.

Single-prong 10mm Inzer Forever Belt. It'll last you a lifetime. Easy to adjust and fairly comfortable once broken in.
    My Training Log

You want science and studies? **** you. I've got scars and blood and vomit. - Jim Wendler

I have a single prong Inzer Forever belt also. My weight fluctuates too much to hassle with the lever belts. I can get it cranked pretty tight with my training partners help.

I'm into the single prong buckle as well. I like my belt much tighter when I bench than when I squat or pull, so its a lot easier to adjust in that sense. If I was a bench only guy I'd probably get a lever belt, it'd be a lot easier
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

The Inzer Forever belt is great. The one's from APT have been just fine for me too. However, if you are over 200lbs I would recommend the 13mm or 12mm belt. People under 200lbs seem to find them too stiff in my experience while those larger like/need the extra support. That being said, its all a matter of personal preference. And its really hard to tell what belt you'd like quickly because they take a pretty long time to completely break in. A buddy of mine that I lift with 4 days a week just announced, after a year, that he thought his belt was completely broken in...

Death to the World!
    I go with the Inzer lever belt. Great design and function. I find I really need a bench belt that will hold the shirt in place. Because I don't want to crank it shut like I do when I am squatting. Simply too much pressure to close it when DL or Benching. I have heard that the Titan belts are not that great. Don't know if that is true, but the Inzer are supposed to be better.
    SOLI DEO GLORIA!

5'6" 195#
    Raw maxes:
    BP 280ish
    SQ 400ish
    DL 495ish

I recently got an APT 11mm single prong belt. I usually wear it on my last 3 or 4 singles on ME days and I'm loving it so far. The buckle on it is nice, I have no problems getting it as tight as you could ever need.
    Last edited by Justin R; 09-23-2009 at 11:30 AM.

I just got an APT belt a few months ago and love it. I use it when I get around 85% or higher of my max. The belt has helped a lot. I think APT is a great company and will be using them a lot in the future. I just got my singlet from them as well. This is belt I am using:
    http://www.prowriststraps.com/inc/sdetail/87153
    BW SQ BP DL Total
    283 455 365 475 1295
    272 425 345 495 1265
    229 408 275 551 1235 <---1st Meet
    Raod to 1607 Elite Total Log- http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=131363
    http://www.facebook.com/#/AndredeJesus?ref=profile

I have an inzer lever belt, its great for squatting, but the tightness I have it for squatting is a little loose for deadlifts, makes it want to move around, I gained a little weight recently so now it is tight enough for deadlifts but soon I will have to make it a little larger. I've been tempted to buy another belt for deadlifting but for now my lever belt works just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre518 View Post
    I just got an APT belt a few months ago and love it. I use it when I get around 85% or higher of my max. The belt has helped a lot. I think APT is a great company and will be using them a lot in the future. I just got my singlet from them as well. This is belt I am using:
    Nice belt. I got this one because some of the stitching was messed up and I got like 40% off. http://www.prowriststraps.com/inc/sdetail/87172
    My wife got this one and loves it: http://www.prowriststraps.com/inc/sdetail/153108. I think in someways she made a smart choice. The ones with white or grey on the inside of the power belt are much less likely to bleed color into your workout shirts (if you care, like she does)! On days when I sweat alot and have the belt on alot some maroon bleeds onto my shirts although it has never stained. It always came out in the wash.

That is the same belt I have, great belt. Is yours double or single prong? Mine was pictured as a double but came single, which is what I prefer anyhow.

Wannabebig Member
    like my belt much tighter when I bench than when I squat or pull, so its a lot easier to adjust in that sense.

Banned
    I use this: http://www.bobsbelts.com/belts.htm
    They're custom jobs.

LuNa
    Thanks for all the information guys. The only problem i have now is that Inzer does not have a distributor in Australia. This would mean that there is probably a big difference in prize between the Inzer belt and the Titan belt. Do you think this would still be justified by the difference in quality?

Quote Originally Posted by KarlMarx View Post
    Nice belt. I got this one because some of the stitching was messed up and I got like 40% off. http://www.prowriststraps.com/inc/sdetail/87172
    My wife got this one and loves it: http://www.prowriststraps.com/inc/sdetail/153108. I think in someways she made a smart choice. The ones with white or grey on the inside of the power belt are much less likely to bleed color into your workout shirts (if you care, like she does)! On days when I sweat alot and have the belt on alot some maroon bleeds onto my shirts although it has never stained. It always came out in the wash.
    The maroon one is the one I was gonna get but it was out of stock when I ordered. APT is a brand and really fits my budget.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin R View Post
    That is the same belt I have, great belt. Is yours double or single prong? Mine was pictured as a double but came single, which is what I prefer anyhow.
    I had the same thing happen. The pic was double but I got a single. I contacted APT and they said that it was an old picture and I could send it back for a different double prong belt if I wanted too. But I opted to keep the single and I love it.
    BW SQ BP DL Total
    283 455 365 475 1295
    272 425 345 495 1265
    229 408 275 551 1235 <---1st Meet
    Raod to 1607 Elite Total Log- http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=131363
    http://www.facebook.com/#/AndredeJesus?ref=profile

Wow... i'm starting to think i'm on the wrong forum. I cant agree with anyone on anything here....

For what its worth, i'd put off trying the belt as long as you can. It is a (oh i'll get **** for this...) a crutch. Yes, it has its uses, and yes, a LOT ov very good lifters use one, but you dont NEED it (using it as part ov a geared lift is a different animal however, i'm talking raw), especially now. I always figured i'd try the belt when i hit 3 plates in my squat, or 4 in the dead. That day came and i didn't see the need. So i figured, when i'm working with four plates, i'll try it. Still didn't see the need. Okay... when i hit five plates, i'll try a belt. Well, i've passed that in both lower body lifts, and no need for a belt in sight. I dont think i'll even bother. I'll tell you one thing, you build one hell ov a core working heavy without a belt.

There are world champion olympic lifters who still dont wear a belt, and that is as demanding on the core as a bad car accident. So if they dont need one, neither do i, nor do you. BUT... having said this, the absolute KEY to making this work is to never ever try one out. Once you get used to that support, its near impossible to do without it and still do the same work. So far i've never known ov an experienced lifter who uses a belt ever being able to lift what they could with one, without it.

illinois fattest lifter theBarzeen's Avatar
    I loved my lever belt until I started getting in to heavier squat gear.... now I can't use the same size belt raw as I do geared..... if you compete raw then a lever is nice...... but if yu compete geared or if your weight fluctuates the pronged belts are easier.....

either way

I just got in my wife and my belts from bobs belts..... I almost cried when I opened the box...... they're so... beautiful.... *sniff*

Quote Originally Posted by Judas View Post
    Wow... i'm starting to think i'm on the wrong forum. I cant agree with anyone on anything here....

BUT... having said this, the absolute KEY to making this work is to never ever try one out. Once you get used to that support, its near impossible to do without it and still do the same work. So far i've never known ov an experienced lifter who uses a belt ever being able to lift what they could with one, without it.
    This is utter nonsense.
    Squat...Eat...Sleep...Grow...Repeat

Pro Strongman | Moderator Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    I have this same belt in single prong except mine says "Strongman" on the back. They have ones that say powerlifter as well. Previously I did have one of the double prong APT's but I find that the single is much more convenient to get on/off.

So far I have had the belt for over a year and I love it. Another great thing is that it comes 'one size fits all' so it will always fit no matter what type of clothing/equipment you are wearing (or if you put on some size).
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 235 lbs | Front Squat: 510 lbs | Overhead: 375 lbs | Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Quote Originally Posted by xMeat_Headx View Post
    This is utter nonsense.
    How so?

Hey Luna; Try Titan-australia.com.au for a belt, Ming is really fast with his shipping (2 day turn-around, often less). I think he only has the lever and a standard single prong, but they are both nice.

illinois fattest lifter theBarzeen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Judas View Post
    How so?

it's like saying that a squat suit is worthless because nobody can squat the same without one as they do with......

and really, even the 1,000,000% RAW!!!! guys use a belt........