The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 10 of 46 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    here is the routine i layed out and asked rob if it was ok

sun-grappling and boxing
    mon-lightest bench day
    tue-boxing
    wed-med intensity bench day and lower body
    thur-off
    fri-heavy bench day
    sat-off

Good work in here Slashkills. Congrats on the 3 plate DL.

I like that routine. I bet you'll put some weight on your squats and deads too only having 1 lower day per week.

TJW
    Layout looks good and I'm interested in what you hear back. I found the question, but it wasn't informative. It just said to focus on kickboxing and structure your training to not hinder kickboxing. So no help.

Quote Originally Posted by PIERCEY View Post
    Good work in here Slashkills. Congrats on the 3 plate DL.

I like that routine. I bet you'll put some weight on your squats and deads too only having 1 lower day per week.
    thanks man!

Quote Originally Posted by gatorman2k6 View Post
    Layout looks good and I'm interested in what you hear back. I found the question, but it wasn't informative. It just said to focus on kickboxing and structure your training to not hinder kickboxing. So no help.
    Thanks for taking a look at that for me, i appreciate it

Ryan, I don't know if it'll work, if your eating habits are ideal, supplementation, and lifestyle in check, it'll certainly help, you're just going to have to tweak the intensity/volume of the boxing/grappling workouts so as to not take away from your bench goals since that is your priority right now, I don't know what else you are doing besides benching of the two non max effort days.

You are training four days in a row so you have to manage the training stressors to the cns as something will give in either workout as the fatigue accumulates.

If your bench continues to stall, tweak your boxing workouts to support your goal of a bigger bench, enough to see the gains you want, since that is your priority in training now.

Keep me posted on your progress and let me know if you need anything else.
    well... i got an answer

also if anyone is interested this is Rob's blog. There is some informative stuff in there.
    Last edited by slashkills; 11-25-2009 at 05:07 PM.

I think that makes sense. I think he's trying to say that you have to focus on one or the other to some extent, and that by doing so many other things you are pulling yourself in a lot of directions. I think you know that, though, and you seem to be coping with it pretty well.

It's kinda like when Wendler says you can't serve too many masters. You have to make one your main priority. Try it for awhile and see how it works.

Yea i know what he is saying. Im right on the border of making mma and powerlifting work. Im just barely doing it i think. My original template was doomed from the beginning because boxing is way to rough on my shoulders and any benching will suffer. 4 straight days of that is craziness. Ill have to keep listening to my body and doing what i can when im feeling good.

here is my revised plan
    sun-boxing,conditioning,grappling(3hours of training)
    mon-light boxing
    tue-off
    wed-medium intensity bench and boxing afterwords
    thur off
    fri-heavy bench and lower
    sat-off

just so i dont have as many consecutive days of training.

Im going to think this over for a while and if im not sure about it ill just stick with westside.

I think I like that better because you have more days to recuperate, but Sunday would totally kick my tail. Keep at it, bud. I like your determination.

Oh, and Rob Pilger's site is actually www.robpilger.com. That other site is old. You are right though, Rob has a lot of great stuff on his site.

He is also associated with and works on www.boxingperformance.com. I think that you would really like that site, Slash.

Ill take a look at the newer site. I seen boxingperformance.com earlier but i didnt have time to sign up for it(got to pay) i may sign up later because it looks like it has a ton of valuabe info.

Ill give that latest routine a try and see how it goes. If im feeling busted up more than usual im going to pull the plug pretty fast i think and go back to westside. Something ive noticed about my bench is that Heavy sets of DB bench really help and so do board presses. Nothing else compares to either of those. Im going to do some heavy DB inclines for reps as well now.
    Last edited by slashkills; 11-25-2009 at 09:55 PM.

Recovery day
    DB Bench
    20lbsx2x10

DB Flyes
    5lbsx2x10

DB Inclines
    10lbsx2x10

DB Rows
    20lbsx2x12

DB Curls
    10x like 30 in ea. arm

Happy Thanksgiving
    Last edited by slashkills; 11-26-2009 at 08:33 AM.

Solid recovery day man...one thing to remember, 'diet is key' - especially with you being on a limb with the weights and cardio on top of the MMA training.

You've done well with everything up to this point and tweaking your diet to serve your needs is what will put you over the top with it all imo, along with solid periods of rest/sleep, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoa View Post
    Solid recovery day man...one thing to remember, 'diet is key' - especially with you being on a limb with the weights and cardio on top of the MMA training.

You've done well with everything up to this point and tweaking your diet to serve your needs is what will put you over the top with it all imo, along with solid periods of rest/sleep, of course.
    Thanks for the advice coke. Ill definitely focus on diet a lot more than i have been.

DE Bench

DE bench
    105x3x3cg
    115x3cg-cause 105 felt good
    105x3x3mg
    105x3x3wg

light DB Bench, incline presses, DB Rows, curls, wrist rollers

lots of dynamic and static stretching
    5min walk on treadmill

Notes: i did a lot of stretches for me legs and hips becuase for the past two days my knee hurts when ever sit in a chair or bend to parallel ish. I think i hurt it playing football on thanksgiving. So i tried stretching out my legs thinking that maybe tight legs were putting pressure on my knee... nope. I put a heating pad on last night for 20min and that made it feel great for about 20min afterwords. Im gonna go use heating pad again now. I dont think its anything too serious. Grappling, conditioning, and boxing classes tomorrow. Im also going to stick with westside. 3 pressing days and mma is to much.

Christmas lights are a giant pain in the ass. I spent 2 hours this morning fixing lights. I took a 9volt battery and tested every light in the strand. I finally found a loose wire and ghetto rigged it with some electrical tape.
    Last edited by slashkills; 11-28-2009 at 10:58 AM.

well i just played 2 hours of football and my knee was sore at first but it feels fine now. Guess it was just a fluke. A painfull fluke though.

Awesome how you always stay so active, you don't be stopping for ****, lol.

TJW
    Nice work and I'm glad that the knee was a fluke!

Awesome how you always stay so active, you don't be stopping for ****, lol.
    Nice work and I'm glad that the knee was a fluke!
    thanks dudes

MMA
    boxing for 1hour- i got to spar with one of the more experienced guys today. It went pretty well. I My offense is really comming together nicely and today my defense was pretty good. I was slipping shots and i wasnt so tight today. I was sitting down a little more instead of standing straight up. My instructor said if i keep this up ill be in the actual mma fighting class which they said normally takes guys 6-8months to get into. Ive been doing this for 4ish months.

1 hour cardio class-holy crap this killed. Lots of suicides, med ball circuts, dummy punch out drills, bag work, muay thai sparring, ab stuff.

was gonna do grappling but F dat

now off to watch cutler and the bears o line get put on their ass repeatedly by the vikings d line
    Last edited by slashkills; 11-29-2009 at 02:13 PM.

After a lot of though i decided to give block periodization a run. With quite a bit of help from Jbrin0tk i think i understand what the deal is. Im pretty confident that this will boost my lifts and help build up my endurance. Here is my new routine
    monday: off
    Tuesday: Lower
    wednsday: upper
    Thursday: off
    friday: lower
    Saturday: Upper
    sunday: off
    *all off days can become mma days depending on how i feel and class schedules

So here is my first workout, any critiques are welcomed.

Accumulation phase week one, upper

bench
    barx10
    95lbsx10
    125lbsx6x5 (60% of max)
    125lbsx12-not to failure, i could have gone 8ish more

floor press
    135lbsx3x8-not heavy but enough to feel a decent pump (65% of max)

DB Incline press
    30lbsx3x10

light band pull aparts x alot

DB Rows
    40lbsx3x10

Ghetto t bar rows
    2plates 2x10

Notes: my schedule is a little messed up this week but it will be fine
    Last edited by slashkills; 11-30-2009 at 05:13 PM.

TJW
    Good work man! I don't know much about block periodization, so I'll leave the critiques to someone else, but it looks like you got some good work in. Keep up the good work!

It looks good, bud. Try more of 4 or 5 x 10 on the assistance work. If you continue with DB rows, try throwing in a high rep (20+) set here and there at the end with a heavy weight. It's a great way to develop grip. Remember, the goal is conditioning, hypertrophy, and technique. And remember to keep up with the eating. If you are trying to get stronger, you probably don't want to lose weight.

Keep it rolling bro, did very nicely with sparring and the new program.

Good work man! I don't know much about block periodization, so I'll leave the critiques to someone else, but it looks like you got some good work in. Keep up the good work!
    Thanks gator

Quote Originally Posted by jbrin0tk View Post
    It looks good, bud. Try more of 4 or 5 x 10 on the assistance work. If you continue with DB rows, try throwing in a high rep (20+) set here and there at the end with a heavy weight. It's a great way to develop grip. Remember, the goal is conditioning, hypertrophy, and technique. And remember to keep up with the eating. If you are trying to get stronger, you probably don't want to lose weight.
    Ok ill up the volume more and do the 20+ on the rows. I will definitely be keeping the DB Rows in my routine because they are the simplest movement for me to do for lats. Trust me, i dont have to be told twice about eating. I like food to much to ever slip into a calorie or protein defecit.

Keep it rolling bro, did very nicely with sparring and the new program.
    Thanks coke

NOTE TO ANYONE-if you have a famous daves bbq around you, go eat there. They have some of the best ribs and burgers ive ever had. My dad got the bbq chicken and said it was phenomenal as well. I got a bacon burger with pulled beef on it. It was heaven

Nice work man. I'm real interested to see how your block periodization works out. Good luck.

NOTE TO ANYONE-if you have a famous daves bbq around you, go eat there. They have some of the best ribs and burgers ive ever had. My dad got the bbq chicken and said it was phenomenal as well. I got a bacon burger with pulled beef on it. It was heaven
    Your right. Famous Daves= Win

Famous Dave's is the shiznit. My wife and I went there this summer. I ate 2 full racks of ribs, 2 corn on the cob, 3 pieces of corn bread, and two bowls of mac and cheese. I can't wait to go back lol.

Sqwatz

free squat
    135x8
    185x3
    225x1
    160x5x6

box squats(paused not tap and go)
    135x3x10-was gonna do 4 sets but it wasnt happening tonight, ill be able to do this soon

DB Lunges
    30lbs in ea. hand 4x10
    up weight next week

rack pulls(right below knee)
    225lbsx4x10