The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 12 of 46 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    TJW
    Nice work for being sick man!

I like the recent sessions man. Looks like you're coming along nicely with the MMA. Seems like you are mostly into the boxing aspect of it right now though huh? That's my favorite too, but my MMA class doesn't give us the choice on what to learn each day. It's always something different and up to the instructors (I kinda like it that way though because it forces me to learn all the different styles of fighting). Good video too. I should focus more on rotational abdominal work myself.
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

TJW
    Oh, and good luck on your finals, mine begin today, so I know what you are going thru.

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoa View Post
    That's a pretty good video, glad you posted it.
    yea, i thought it was pretty neat and rob really knows his stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by brihead301 View Post
    I like the recent sessions man. Looks like you're coming along nicely with the MMA. Seems like you are mostly into the boxing aspect of it right now though huh? That's my favorite too, but my MMA class doesn't give us the choice on what to learn each day. It's always something different and up to the instructors (I kinda like it that way though because it forces me to learn all the different styles of fighting). Good video too. I should focus more on rotational abdominal work myself.
    thanks man! I dont know which i disciplines are my favorites yet. I like boxing and want to definitely make it one of my strong points as many fighters are week in that area. This week im gonna be doing mostly ground work, bjj and grappling. I want to get in some takedown work so maybe ill go to open mats tomorrow with some guys also. I like the striking and takedown stuff a lot. Its more violent than ground stuff

Quote Originally Posted by gatorman2k6 View Post
    Oh, and good luck on your finals, mine begin today, so I know what you are going thru.
    thanks bud! today was day one of three and i did fairly well i think on my chem and history portions. Its looking good for no school tomorrow. Our schools close if its below zero with wind chill and its supposed to be 3degrees in the morning and -20 to -30 degrees with wind chill. Plenty of time to hit up some mma classes and study.

lower accumulation week 2/3

deadlifts
    135x5
    185x3
    225x1
    225x1
    185x4x6
    -back is fried

zerchers off parallel pins
    135x8
    155x8
    185x2x8
    -holy crap, my back. Lots of rest between sets with that 185

single leg squats
    20 in ea. hand x10
    30^
    40^ except 2x10
    -that make sense?

back raises
    bwx3x10
    bw+25 2x10

Notes: decent day. MMA class tomorrow and saturday, the focus for both this week is grappling and BJJ. Im going to go to the gym and do some takedown work with a partner tomorrow also before mma.

TJW
    Nice work man and man do I miss school closing due to weather...

Looks perfect, bud. And yes, what you wrote made sense. I still get the snow days off because I'm a teacher. Pretty friggin' cool lol. We actually had off today because of flooding in certain parts of the county.

Super that you plan to put in extra time doing takedowns with dude...went through the paces with that effort.

Nice work man and man do I miss school closing due to weather...
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrin0tk View Post
    Looks perfect, bud. And yes, what you wrote made sense. I still get the snow days off because I'm a teacher. Pretty friggin' cool lol. We actually had off today because of flooding in certain parts of the county.
    Super that you plan to put in extra time doing takedowns with dude...went through the paces with that effort.
    Thanks fellas

upper accumulation week 2/3(from friday @ schools gym)

band dislocates and pull aparts

bench
    135x10
    155x5
    185x2
    130x5x6
    155x5

DB Bench
    30lbsx12
    40lbsx12
    50lbsx2x8

DB powercleans w/ DB skull crushers
    20lbsx12/20lbsx12
    30lbsx10/30lbsx10
    30lbsx10/30lbsx10
    20lbsx12/20lbsx12

DB Rows
    30lbsx20
    40lbsx10
    50lbsx10
    60lbsx10

pull ups
    bw 5x4

Notes:felt real good yesterday. flew through it my workout, i think it was like 40min total. I normally slow poke through my work at the school gym.

MMA(today)
    1 hour mma class-ground work, lots of north south chokes and kamoras. Just going over previous stuff to melt it into our heads.
    open gym 30min- went today instead of thursday cause roads sucked. Did some takedowns and takedown defense. Gotta love it.

Notes:lower workout tonight. i promise

Props on the high energy level you possess.

Props on the high energy level you possess.
    lol, i have to give the credit to monster and venom energy drinks. Im always tired.

TJW
    Nice work man! Glad to hear you drink Monster too. My best friend from home is a rep for them at college so I always get the hook up. I currently have 60+ in my room, so I'm always prepared for a workout.

Nice work man! Glad to hear you drink Monster too. My best friend from home is a rep for them at college so I always get the hook up. I currently have 60+ in my room, so I'm always prepared for a workout.
    if for some reason im ever near raleigh im counting on you to hook me up with some monsters

Great session, dude. Looks like you're right on track. Diaz - Malignaggi 2 on HBO tonight, by the way. Just thought I'd let you know.

Great session, dude. Looks like you're right on track. Diaz - Malignaggi 2 on HBO tonight, by the way. Just thought I'd let you know.
    thanks man. Ill try and see the the fight if i can.

Right on, man. No biggie. I just thought I'd fill ya in in case you were interested.

TJW
    Quote Originally Posted by slashkills View Post
    if for some reason im ever near raleigh im counting on you to hook me up with some monsters
    Sure thing man. When I go home on Tuesday, I should be picking up a few more cases and each one has 24 cans.

Right on, man. No biggie. I just thought I'd fill ya in in case you were interested.
    ok, i seen round 4-12 of malignaggi vs diaz. Malignaggi is good, fast, and a smart ass. He has a crazy style but he makes it work.

Sure thing man. When I go home on Tuesday, I should be picking up a few more cases and each one has 24 cans.
    what cost more a couple cases of monster or gas from chicago to raleigh? lol

MMA
    1 hour boxing class-going to class now but it will most likely be sit-ups,jump rope, and sparring the whole time. Ill be focussing on my head slips and counter strikes.
    also congrats to my instructor mike corey for winning by submission in his fight thursday night.

Haha, yeah, Paulie did a lot of clowning last night, but he looked the best I've ever seen him fight. He even hurt Diaz, which is saying something for Paulie. He needs to cut down on the clowning some, but I think it's like Lennox Lewis said, he was so in control out there that he knew he could get away with it. He's a very fast, slick boxer and Diaz had no answers for him. Good stuff, man.

Here is the run down from yesterdays boxing class

-jump rope
    -shadow boxing for 3*4min rounds
    -heavy bag work w/ some random kicks in the mix too
    -sit ups w/ 20lb medicine ball for a 2min round(i got roughly 150 in)
    -leg raises w/ med ball inbetween legs
    -pull ups with legs crossed behind holding 20lb ball 4x4,1x2 these are tough

decided not to bench tonight my back is sore from the basically ME pull ups i did and everytime i laugh i can feel my abs get tight. Will get it done tomorrrow. 4 days untill xmas break! cant wait to spend my whole day the gym over break.

weight-157(put on about 7lbs the past two months and my abs are noticable.)
    height-5'8"
    reach-cant remeber
    Last edited by slashkills; 12-14-2009 at 05:39 PM.

TJW
    Nice work man! I know what you mean about xmas break. Mine begins tomorrow after my 9:30am exam.

Haha, yeah, my Christmas break begins in 4 days, too! LOL good times. Good boxing workout, and good call on saving benching til tomorrow. Best to do it when you feel good and ready.

Quote Originally Posted by slashkills View Post
    ...put on about 7lbs the past two months and my abs are noticable.
    Great news bro.

Sounds like you're really making some progress with your MMA training man. Good to see that you're really into it. Stick with it, and you'll be a monster!
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

Nice work man! I know what you mean about xmas break. Mine begins tomorrow after my 9:30am exam.
    Haha, yeah, my Christmas break begins in 4 days, too! LOL good times. Good boxing workout, and good call on saving benching til tomorrow. Best to do it when you feel good and ready.
    Great news bro.
    Quote Originally Posted by brihead301 View Post
    Sounds like you're really making some progress with your MMA training man. Good to see that you're really into it. Stick with it, and you'll be a monster!
    thanks dudes

im gonna go eat a pizza then hit some benchin