The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 21 of 46 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
    TJW
    Nice job Slash! I'm looking forward to seeing what you hit.

Quote Originally Posted by KoSh View Post
    Good work man. Keep plugging!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by CoCoa View Post
    Nice job overall guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by gatorman2k6 View Post
    Nice job Slash! I'm looking forward to seeing what you hit.
    Thanks guys

lower realization week 1/1

free skwats
    135x5-flying and i just realised is about 50% of my max. I can remember when 135 sucked
    185x3
    225x1-belt here on out-smoke show
    250x1-smoke show
    245x1
    240x2 rep PR

band leg curls
    purple x plenty

crosshack squats

Notes: squats felt great today. everything felt light and even hit a planned PR on my drop set. I dont know what i want to hit next week yet. Im thinking 275+ depeding on how i feel. Ill decide what i want to hit on bench after i take my previous bench PR on thursday and then for deads ill see after i pull on saturday.

Great job, dude. That's friggin' awesome! Glad to hear that it sounds like things are going well for ya.

TJW
    Nice squat PR! Good luck next week!

Looking super bro.
    Last edited by Coke; 01-27-2010 at 01:08 AM.

What are crosshack squats?

Good session BTW.
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

Quote Originally Posted by jbrin0tk View Post
    Great job, dude. That's friggin' awesome! Glad to hear that it sounds like things are going well for ya.
    Thanks. Its great when things work out the way you had hoped

Nice squat PR! Good luck next week!
    Thanks dude!

Looking super bro.
    thanks bud!

Quote Originally Posted by brihead301 View Post
    What are crosshack squats?

Good session BTW.
    Thanks Bri!

They are actually cosshack squats but i couldnt remember what they were called. Here is a youtube vid. They really stretch the hips. They are a good mobility drill that may help you with MMA

Video

The varsity football coach at my school basically tried recruiting me today. He has seen me play and lift before and he said he wants me to play TE(which is what i was) I love football and would have played this past season had i not had a partial rotator cuff tear. I have a decision to make now. This would most likely be my last opportunity to play on an organized team and i love football. MMA or boxing will always be there. Im leaning towards dropping the MMA and training with my football team. The coach said ive made great gains on my own and said lifting wise i could continue doing my own thing. He wants me to atleast do the speed/explosive workouts with the team 2x a week though. They start next week so i would start then.

So im probably gonna drop boxing for now and focus on football. I just love football to much to not try and go out for the team.

TJW
    Cool stuff about the coach recruiting you. I'd say go for it, because you will regret not playing when you can always box afterwards.

Very interesting turn of events, take advantage of the opportunity man - good luck!!

Cool stuff about the coach recruiting you. I'd say go for it, because you will regret not playing when you can always box afterwards.
    Very interesting turn of events, take advantage of the opportunity man - good luck!!
    well it was an easier decision than i thought it would be. Football it is. Got my schedule for next year approved today.

AP econ/gov(1 semester ea.)
    AP psychology
    honors physics
    algebra 2
    weight lifting/kinesiology(1 sem. ea.)
    american lit I&II(1 sem. ea.)

physics is the only one that should be remotely difficult. All the classes minus english and algebra will be interesting.

No lifting tonight and its killin me. Im bored too, Can you tell?

TJW
    I know exactly what you mean about getting bored on off days. All I can think about is what I will do the next time I lift. Interesting schedule too. I wish my school had remained AP, but they screwed us over by switching to IB. I basically took Calculus my junior/senior year and got no college credit for it. Physics was the most boring class to me in high school, so I hope you enjoy it more than I did.

slash,

I am currently a football coach and the head strength coach... AT the High School I played for...

I say you definitely should play football. I miss every second of it. I had bad knees and didn't play until my junior year and I regret missing two years. Doctor advised me not to play and I didn't. Wish I didn't listen because my knees were fine. I miss every second of it. Went on to walk on at a D3 school, but messed up my rotator cuff in year one and partially tore my achilles in year two. Never played a down.

You may NEVER play football in pads again... Take the opportunity now to relish every second of it.
    "Donít fall for the crap that people are peddling on message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your **** in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesnít matter. Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? **** you. Iíve got scars and blood and vomit."
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

I know exactly what you mean about getting bored on off days. All I can think about is what I will do the next time I lift. Interesting schedule too. I wish my school had remained AP, but they screwed us over by switching to IB. I basically took Calculus my junior/senior year and got no college credit for it. Physics was the most boring class to me in high school, so I hope you enjoy it more than I did.
    I like science so im not too worried about physics. That sucks you didnt get AP classes. The credit will be sweet.

slash,

I am currently a football coach and the head strength coach... AT the High School I played for...

I say you definitely should play football. I miss every second of it. I had bad knees and didn't play until my junior year and I regret missing two years. Doctor advised me not to play and I didn't. Wish I didn't listen because my knees were fine. I miss every second of it. Went on to walk on at a D3 school, but messed up my rotator cuff in year one and partially tore my achilles in year two. Never played a down.

You may NEVER play football in pads again... Take the opportunity now to relish every second of it.
    Im definitely going out for the team this year. That blows you had all those injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by slashkills View Post
    Im definitely going out for the team this year. That blows you had all those injuries.
    I was #3 on the depth chart as a walk on OLB during spring ball. I hurt the achilles when they threw me in with the 1st team and I picked off a pass from the starting QB. When I landed I was in a very high degree of pain. Practiced on it for another week as the trainers told me it was a high ankle sprain and I convinced them I was alright by sucking it up and making it through their tests without showing any discomfort (even though I was really, really hurting). I got beat by every receiver I lined up against in the slot for that week and I was noticeably hobbling on film. It got me cut.

Went to the doctor three months later with a ton of pain... He told me there was a ton of built up scar tissue around my achilles and told me that I definitely had a partial tear and I'm lucky I didn't fully tear it by playing on it. Had to go to this chirpractor 5 times to start to get rid of the scar tissue that was building up. He did say I was an idiot for practicing on it with as much pain as I had to be in, but then he complimented me on being so tough hahaha.

But it's part of what put me where I am today. Can't say I'd want it to happen again, but I'm a strength coach and football coach today because of that happening. And I wouldn't trade those two things for anything (sans playing in the NFL, and at 5'8" 180 that's probably not happening )
    Last edited by KoSh; 01-28-2010 at 06:29 AM.
    "Donít fall for the crap that people are peddling on message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your **** in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesnít matter. Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? **** you. Iíve got scars and blood and vomit."
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

I cant believe you practiced through that. Im a pussy. I probably would have been calling for a wheel chair before i was totally on the ground.

Got a detention in school today for some friends singing happy bday to me in the middle of class. I didnt ask for it but apparantly i was distracting class. All spanish teachers are A holes. But **** it i dont care cause benching later... i gotta feelin 205 my past PR will fly up.

TJW
    Good luck with benching! Is today your birthday? If so, Happy Birthday! If not...disregard my comment.

Good luck with benching! Is today your birthday? If so, Happy Birthday! If not...disregard my comment.
    yea it is, lol. Thanks man

upper realization

bench
    135x5
    155x2
    185x1
    205x1-7RPE

Notes: it wasnt as easy as i had hoped but going from a very difficult 10RPE to a 7RPE is still decent. Im gonna hit 215 for sure next week and possibly more. Im really not sure as ive been awful at judging heavy weights after periodization.

Congrats to my neighbor who i trained with tonight at my house. He hit a 15lb PR for 245 and smoked it. Had 260 in him atleast. he worked with me on my powerclean technique. Im going to start doing them on light days for conditioning purposes only.

Haha, dude if it went from a 10 to a 7 you got significantly stronger, and there's nothing wrong with that. How many more reps do you think you could've gotten with it?

Haha, dude if it went from a 10 to a 7 you got significantly stronger, and there's nothing wrong with that. How many more reps do you think you could've gotten with it?
    3ish maybe 4. I dont know what i was expecting tonight. It went up well and i guess if im repping 205 3-4 times thats got to be roughly 220lbs right? I guess im alright with that. Im never happy with what i lift though. I always want more. Its what keeps me goin.

Quote Originally Posted by slashkills View Post
    3ish maybe 4. I dont know what i was expecting tonight. It went up well and i guess if im repping 205 3-4 times thats got to be roughly 220lbs right? I guess im alright with that. Im never happy with what i lift though. I always want more. Its what keeps me goin.
    Yeah, I'd say 220, 225 or so. I understand about always wanting more, though. Good work, bud.

Happy Birthday dude, nice benching.

Happy belated, slash!
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

Yeah, I'd say 220, 225 or so. I understand about always wanting more, though. Good work, bud.
    ill warm up to 215 then depending on how i feel ill shoot for 225 and more if i can or stay at 220.

Happy Birthday dude, nice benching.
    Happy belated, slash!

thanks guys