The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 46 12311 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Slashkills Quest for Dominance

Hey guys, im ryan. My routine is a little bit of everything but i think it will work well for my goals of becomming a powerlifter and a fighter. Ive been weightlifting since January 09 and training mma since august of 09.

routine
    mon: Matt rhodes for squat/deadlift
    tue: mma/conditioning
    wed: ME Bench
    thur: mma/conditioning
    fri: mma/conditioning
    sat: Plyos or DE work possibly mma some times
    sun: off

current PRs

squat: 245
    bench: 210
    deadlift: 305 all time and 285 max recently
    OH press: 95lbs

for 531 cycle
    bench 190
    OH Press 80

other stats
    height: 5'8"
    weight: 152lbs

Goals by jan 1, 2010
    bench: 235lbs
    squat: 265lbs
    deadlift: 350lbs
    military press: 135lbs
    Last edited by slashkills; 11-11-2009 at 04:32 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Playing catch up in here

ME Squat 9/21

free squat
    135x8
    185x3
    205x3
    225x2/3 1rep PR!
    185x7-2rep PR!

goodmornings from pins
    135x5
    155x5
    185x0 wasnt gonna happen

DB lunges
    30lbsx20 ea. leg

Notes: decent work out. I felt like doing it tonight instead of tomorrow cause its raining out tonight so im bored inside. Plus i felt great cause Da bears pulled off the upset over Pit.

9/23 mma
    1 hour boxing class-i need to work on my transition from hook to upper cut with my lead arm. Im to slow. Also my upper cut and hook defense could be better.

10min ss jog on treadmill

week 1 wave 1

bench
    135x10
    145x5(75%)
    155x5(80%)
    165x7(85%) possibly 2rep PR

2 board bench
    155x3x5

DB Bench
    30x3x10

DB Rows
    50x2x12

Notes: Does this look right? Does anyone else notice that their sticking point is different on max attempts compared to rep work. When im doing a single my sticking point is on my chest or near it. On rep bench its towards lock out.

Also i just got my drivers permit today. I have been waiting forever.
    Last edited by slashkills; 09-23-2009 at 04:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by slashkills View Post

Notes: Does this look right? Does anyone else notice that their sticking point is different on max attempts compared to rep work. When im doing a single my sticking point is on my chest or near it. On rep bench its towards lock out.

Also i just got my drivers permit today. I have been waiting forever.
    I take it your just trying to get your max bench up and your sticking point is your chest on max attempts. I would think it would be more beneifical to do full range of motion close grip over two board normal bench. I read in the powerlifting section you wear a belt...what lifts do you use it on and how much do you think it helps? By the way good job getting your permit its pretty cool to be able to drive around when ever you want when you get your licence.

I wear a belt occasionally when i get to about 90%+ on squats and deads. It may add 5-15lbs to my lift depending on where my back strength is. I found that when my back strength was a weak link in my squats that a belt helped. When my back got caught up the belt didnt help much. I wear it mainly to support my back if i get stapled or if my form falls apart on a heavy lift.

TJW
    Workout looks fine. I thought your reps were a little low on the rep out set, but I noticed you were using the tougher percentages. From what I've read from the 5/3/1 manual and the Q and A, just monitor your reps and if you just hit the prescribed amount, switch to the easier percentages. Good work though.

I think the reason the sticking point is different on a max lift vs. a rep out is because a rep out requires more endurance, whereas a single requires the brute strength. If it's too heavy for you, most times it won't move far (i.e. stuck off the chest), but if it's something you are repping out, it's obviously not too heavy for you and your triceps will probably tire out before your shoulders/pecs, thus making it harder to lock it out. I agree with Gator on the last set reps being a little low. You should think maybe about lowering your training max a little more. I think I got 13 on a 5+ set once, and I had great success with the program in terms of rep strength and maximal strength. Good work, though, Slash.

I actaully upped the weight 5lbs on my working sets today from what they actually should have been. That may have been why i didnt get more. Ill try next week and if i still dont rep more ill lower my training maxes. My endurance also sucks because i never really did a lot of rep work.

1 wave= 1 week correct? so if i stick with these percentages next week will be 80% 85% 90% for sets of 3.
    Last edited by slashkills; 09-24-2009 at 05:43 AM.

TJW
    I actaully upped the weight 5lbs on my working sets today from what they actually should have been. That may have been why i didnt get more. Ill try next week and if i still dont rep more ill lower my training maxes. My endurance also sucks because i never really did a lot of rep work.

1 wave= 1 week correct? so if i stick with these percentages next week will be 80% 85% 90% for sets of 3.
    Yep, those percentages are correct. Yeah, I wouldn't change what it says to do, or else you will stall a whole lot faster.

Good luck with the new plans...you got a lot going on and will be a monster at this rate.

New journal huh? Nice lifting so far. Surely training with Rhodes is gonna get you strong as hell man!
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

Quote Originally Posted by brihead301 View Post
    New journal huh? Nice lifting so far. Surely training with Rhodes is gonna get you strong as hell man!
    Im not training with rhodes im using his raw squat routine. Hopefully ill get strong as hell any ways.

coke-thanks for stopping in man i appreciate it

gatorman-ok thanks. I did the math in my head as i was working out and if you didnt know, i suck at math. I checked my numbers afterwords and they were all 5lbs over.
    Last edited by slashkills; 09-24-2009 at 03:54 PM.

Some things to help my shoulder before working out
    -dislocates
    -band traction
    -external/internal rotations
    -push ups with closed fist and fingers pointed in

gatorman-you recommended i do dips on my bench and shoulder day but i did 2 on my bench day and they are really rough on my shoulders right now. I will have to find something else for a while. Military press tonight

MMA

1 hour mma class- worked on shooting and takedowns. i broke my little toe. ouch.

i was busy last night so ill do military press now. no DE work today

MMA

1 hour mma class- worked on shooting and takedowns. i broke my little toe. ouch.

i was busy last night so ill do military press now. no DE work today
    Ya man, just training for MMA is painful even if you don't even fight. I f*** stuff up all the time. Learning takedowns and getting taken down, sparring, rolling, submissions,etc...it all takes a toll on your body. I love it though, but I feel like an old man sometimes after some sessions.
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

ME Squat-3RM day

free squat
    135x8
    155x3
    185x3
    205x3

sumo deads
    135x10
    185x10
    225x7-held last rep for roughly 30secs at top
    225x1-held for max time roughly 30secs

band leg curls
    bw x 2x alot

stair runs x enough to have me sucking air

Notes: Reasons for no PRs include allergies from big temp drop last night,my broken pinky toe is distracting, and no pre-wo meal. I never really eat before my workouts. When i work out most of the time its right when i get home from school at 4:00 and my lunch is at 10:30. My past two squat workouts where right after school but the only thing different was a pre-wo meal about 30min before and the varied ME attempts each week prior. Just some things for me to keep in mind.

TJW
    Good work man! I know what it's like to feel sick and still work out....it sucks. Keep up the good work!

Glad to see you're being a trooper dude, no joke.

Crazy that you eat lunch at 10:30. Good work though, man. Hope you feel better soon.

Quote Originally Posted by gatorman2k6 View Post
    Good work man! I know what it's like to feel sick and still work out....it sucks. Keep up the good work!
    Quote Originally Posted by CoCoa View Post
    Glad to see you're being a trooper dude, no joke.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrin0tk View Post
    Crazy that you eat lunch at 10:30. Good work though, man. Hope you feel better soon.
    thanks guys, i appreciate it. Ive been eating lunch at about ten for three years so you get used to it. I just have to start eating 30min before my workouts after school.

Lower acc. work

GHR
    bwx12
    bwx2x8

DB lunges -ss- 45degree back extensions
    30lbsx10ea leg/ bw+25x12
    repeat 3x
    -not a killer superset but i was running short on time before boxing so i had to hurry up

MMA
    -hour and fifteen min boxing class. Mostly cardio and combo work today. Nothing new. We did 3 3min rounds of jump rope to open class followed by 2 3min rounds of shadow boxing 2 3min rounds of jump rope. Then for the last what ever amount of time we had left we did sparring and every two mins we had to do sprawl and do ten push ups. Two guys threw up and im proud to say im not one of them. I saw the first guy barf and im like **** im next.
    Last edited by slashkills; 09-29-2009 at 07:59 PM.

TJW
    Nice work man! Your conditioning must be getting amazing with the workouts and MMA stuff.

week 2 wave 2 bench

bench
    135x10
    150x3 (80%)
    160x3 (85%)
    170x7 2rep PR (90%)
    155x5

incline bench
    95lbsx3x8

DB Rows
    30lbsx12
    50lbsx2x10

light band tricep press downs x a lot

DB Curls
    30lbsx2x10

Good work, dude. Bench is looking strong.

Quote Originally Posted by gatorman2k6 View Post
    Nice work man! Your conditioning must be getting amazing with the workouts and MMA stuff.
    thanks dude! my conditioning is getting there. Having good conditioning feels great

Quote Originally Posted by brihead301 View Post
    Ya man, just training for MMA is painful even if you don't even fight. I f*** stuff up all the time. Learning takedowns and getting taken down, sparring, rolling, submissions,etc...it all takes a toll on your body. I love it though, but I feel like an old man sometimes after some sessions.
    I hear that

Quote Originally Posted by jbrin0tk View Post
    Good work, dude. Bench is looking strong.
    thanks J!

I had wicked DOMS last week after benching and i can tell im going to be sore as a M***** F***** tomorrow again. Im not used this kind of volume so its brutal for me.
    Last edited by slashkills; 09-30-2009 at 08:03 PM.

Fine upper body day bro...your demeanor and confidence will be off the chain with the continued MMA work.