3 x 10

DB Press for Reps

3 x 25

Wannabebig Member brandonlilly3's Avatar
    10/18/2011

Deadlift for Reps

Warm-Ups

405 x 5 x 5

315 x 8 x 3 (At top of Deadlift do a Shrug and hold)

Leg Curls

3 x 8 (Negative on the way down, explode up and squeeze at the top)

KB Swings and Hyper

50 lbs x 24 reps (One set, 6 shoulder width, 6 wide, 6 ultrawide, 6 narrow)

Hypers 3 x 12

Bamboo Bar Ab Crunches

(Hold the bar at your neck like a front squat and go sit ups)

60 x 16 x 4 sets

Grip Work

3 x 15

Article I just wrote...

The number one most asked question I have gotten since I have been training at Lexen is, "What is it like training with Chuck?" The simple answers are "its great" or "really intense". But a more in depth answer is hard to put down on paper. Chuck trains like every session is potentially his last, and definitely the most important. He has such an understanding of what it takes to succeed over and over in this sport. He has pushed himself to higher and higher levels as the gear and the times have changed. He was the first man to squat 1000 lbs. weighing under 275 lbs., he did it at 220. He has set numerous World Records and for that he is scarred, muscles torn, body bruised and surgically repaired. But one thing you will never see or hear from him, is the expectation that we adapt our training to accommodate his latest ache or pain. He pushes the limit every single workout.

Sometimes I wonder what drives him. He answered that when we were talking about the upcoming XPC Coalition meet, I asked "Do you think youll squat 1200 lbs.?" He never missed a beat and said "If thats a world record, I just want a world record, why else do you compete?" That marked a serious realization in how differently I view my own training, and myself. I tend to focus solely on "me" and tell myself to push for PR's and let that motivate me. But Chuck has a desire to not only compete, but to hold World Records, and all that goes along with that. He strives to beat himself and others. He lives to win. He lives to compete. In training, of course, coming from my background of using the Conjugate Method I fully expected a system much like what I was used to when I began training with Chuck. What I found was something familiar but totally different. We do waves and so on, but with a much different approach. Chuck is a huge believer in making things as difficult as possible. If something you are doing is coming easy, he will encourage you to change the position of the bar to make the movement harder. He wants every rep to be a physical and mental challenge.

"Lifting the weight in the best line, is not always the best way to get strong."- Chuck Vogelpohl

We do squats with hanging chains to make the lower portion of the squat extremely unstable, as most guys break down horribly in the hole, this makes you focus on staying tight even more because if you rush the down portion the chains sway, if you explode to hard the chains sway, so a simple squat becomes and exercise in tightness and timing. Sure a million other methods will work, but when you look at guys across the board where do they fall apart? In the hole. We do deadlifts with the bar way out in front, or with a Strongmans log, to change body position, anything that can break the movement up. Chuck has dedicated himself to figuring out what makes you stronger in and out of position. We are all experiments in understanding how things work, but we all push, because we all know that from 1000 failures, we find ourselves closer to understanding what WILL work.

Training with Chuck for me was not an opportunity to train with a man, but to train with a Powerlifting God, and Legend. Every single Tuesday (our lower accessory day) I find myself crawling on the floor, searching for understanding in how my body can hurt this badly without an open wound being exposed. I look around and I see Chuck still going, still pushing himself, all the while he is encouraging all of us to keep going, keep pushing beyond our previous bests. Training with Chuck comes a great expectation that you will push yourself as hard as he does. The sad reality is, that no matter what you do, he will do more, he will push harder, and you will be left feeling defeated workout after workout, but if you keep at it, and push yourself to YOUR limit day in and day out like Chuck does, you may not become a World Record holder, but you might find yourself a lot further along than you believed you ever could be. And in the end that is all Chuck expects of himself or anyone. The ability and heart to find a way to become better than you ever believed you could.

brandon, i have been meaning to ask you this for a while and im glad you post back on here, didnt want to do it on facebook

anyway, what is the main goal of your lower body accessory days (muscles targetted/weaker area's/technique etc)... I want to adopt the way you guys have altered the system so to speak as I think it will benefit me more than DE work~!

very nice article too
    Check out my training:
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...?144135-My-Log

My smolov blog '12 : start 475 - finish: 520
    http://jtrain-ing.blogspot.co.uk/

Good article. Nice to have you aboard.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Hey guys been talking with Chris some and I will be keeping a dedicated journal here from now on, I just want to know what is the best way to reach you guys? What info are you looking for in my journal?

I along with others really enjoy the videos you have posted on other sites and just your general information of daily sessions. I really appreciate seasoned lifters offering the chance to see what they do on a daily basis.
    Last edited by blong; 01-25-2012 at 05:26 AM.

I think just giving your training daily and then some narratives on training, diet, recovery, etc once in a while is great. Videos on occassion are excellent also.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    I think just giving your training daily and then some narratives on training, diet, recovery, etc once in a while is great. Videos on occassion are excellent also.
    I agree with Vin.
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

Sponsored By:

10/20/Life
    Vanilla Gorilla

You posted a sample days food on Outlaw a while back. It would be great to hear a bit more about your thoughts on diet/nutrition. There seems to have been a large shift in the idea that powerlifters should just be eating everything in sight.
    Last edited by -JM-; 01-25-2012 at 11:59 AM.
    This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; the being thoroughly worn out before you are thrown on the scrap heap; the being a force of Nature instead of a feverish selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy - George Bernard Shaw

Pretty much anything you can offer in here is awesome Brandon. Training videos, stories about training with Chuck V, diet are all cool to hear about.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!