Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brandon Lilly: My Journal

Wannabebig Member brandonlilly3's Avatar

Brandon Lilly: My Journal

Hey guys little background, I train at Guerrilla Squad Barbell in Richmond, KY. We follow a Westside template, with little variation from it ever. I most recently competed in the Pro/Am totaling 2150 missing 2205 on my deadlift. I am currently training for the Cell Block December 5th...

Video

Video

Video

Video

Best Lifts

Squat-900
    Bench-600
    Deadlift-700

Total-2150
    Last edited by chris mason; 11-03-2011 at 01:05 PM.

9/23/2009 Cambered Bench w/Dbl Monster Minis

Cambered Bench 1''+ Deficit w/Dbl Monster Minis (140+/- @ Top, 70+/- @ Bottom)

2 BD

Warm-Up

225 x 5

275 x 3

315 x 1

365 x 1

385 x 1

405 x 1 PR

High Board

225 x 10

275 x 11

Close Grip Pushups

30, 23

Actually gotta say I was happy with this, felt explosive for the first time in ever. I had hope to get 425 but my previous off chest was 375 so this is a big PR to go lower and add weight. I thought everyone did very well tonight, hopefully I can get things rolling Monday as I plan to start bulking, I have done a depletion diet and was 260.3 before the workout.... So we will see in two months how it all plays out...
    Last edited by brandonlilly3; 09-24-2009 at 08:14 AM.

Great work in your vids Brandon. Those Blue band Death squats look awesome. I gotta try those. Ill be following along your blog for sure.. GL.
    JERSEY IRON POWERLIFTING
    198/220 Pro
    Currenty ranked #1 198 Multiply
    Best meet lifts @220 840/650/575
    Best meet lifts @198 875/585/630
    Best Raw Lifts @198 650/425/575
    Journal:http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122706

Eater of: 61 Buffalo wings in 8 minutes
    20 hotdogs+buns in 30 minutes

Always listening & learnin lil' power's Avatar
    interesting accessories...yea blue band death squats look brutal, I'll have to lighten the load and give it a try.
    RAW/165's/ 365-215-360-940 ttl -Elite
    Single Ply/ 165's / 450-325-380 - 1155 ttl -Pro

9/25/2009

Box Squats w/225 lbs. Chain

Warm-Ups

325 x 2

375 x 2

425 x 2

375 x 2 x 2

425 x 2 x 2

Dumbbell Rows

80 x 50 reps each arm

Easy deload week in prep for Circa Max the next two weeks, everyone did excellent tonight. Felt really good to get back at it for the first "real" session after the meet. Things are looking up.

Good to see you keeping a log here!
    www.wildirongym.com
    Become a fan of Wild Iron on Facebook:
    http://tinyurl.com/WildIron

9/27/2009

Speed Bench w/80 lbs. Chains

Warm-Ups

185 x 3 x 3 Close Grip

185 x 3 x 3 Medium Grip

185 x 3 x 3 Competition Grip

Dumbbell Presses

80 x 15 x 4

Pull Ups

50 reps done over several sets

Lateral Raises

50 reps

Micro Band Pullaparts

50 reps

Well, after much discussion with people who are a lot stronger than me I am back doing speed work for my bench. If you have ever seen me bench raw I bench very controlled not ballistically and ballistic force is needed to bench big. I had stopped these workouts before because my joints got beat up, but looking back I had turned this workout into another heavy day by not being honest with myself and keeping the weight light. I am basing my bench off a 500 raw press, so I kept the weight at 40% or so, and will wave next week with 205, then 225 the next. I am excited for this new prospect of training, because I am training with Jake at 6 in the morning which doesn't cause any home grief because I get back about the time the wife and boy wake up. If my bench gets better or not, I believe I not to be doing this, and if I do it effectively it can only get better.

9/28/2009

Max Effort Squats

Warm-Ups

Suit Bottoms over Briefs

600 x 2

700 x 1

800 x 1

925 x Miss

925 x 1 PR (I was high, Jake called it an inch or so, in training I'll take it)

Lat Pulldowns

120 x 12 x 3

Man was this a bad idea? Since last Friday today was a planned deload in prep for Friday and our impending Circa Max. Well at 3:30 today my boss hands me a manuscript that informs me that I will be in training for work Friday evening, so I decided that I had to try and do something to help keep myself in the loop, and motivate the other guys. So I worked up as far as I could, and I cut the weight high, but I was starting to waiver in the hole and going any lower would have caused a dump, so I came up when I could still manage. It is what it is.... I was very very proud of Tim and Nick, they were able to push and get in some good work sets.

10/4/2009

Speed Bench w/80 lbs. Chain

Warm-Ups

205 x 3 x 6 sets

Dumbbell Bench

80 x 15 x 3 sets

Close Grip Triceps Pushdowns

80 x 100 reps

Barbell Curls

75 x 12 x 3 sets

Micro Band Pull Aparts

2 x A bunch of reps

Green Band Leg Curls

50 Reps

Very good day, quick work on all the sets. Felt a little slow on the first couple of sets but I am gonna chalk that up to being a little tired from the weekend travel. Jake and Tim looked great, this session provides me a little more flexibility to hit the accessory stuff. All in all I feel good about the potential that Sundays hold, just trying to keep it all in perspective.

10/5/2009

Sled Drags

2 plates x 180 feet

3 plates x 180 feet x 3 trips

Chest Supported Rows

90 x 15

140 x 12 x 3

Lat Pulldowns

120 x 10 x 3

GHR (Elevated)

50 reps

Pipe Curls

50 reps

I know I did some other stuff, but that stuff is top secret and I intend to keep it that way... Whatever, I just did so much **** I forgot it. We were halvsies last night Jake, myself, Matt, and Kyle did this bull****, and Rob, Adam, Nick and Tim pulled. Good night at the gym!

10/12/2009

Deadlift off 2" Deficit

Warm-Ups

405 x 5

495 x 3

585 x 1

635 x 1

500 x 5

Lat Pulldowns

200 x 10 x 3

Glute Hams

50 Reps

Back Raises

50 Reps

Reverse Hyper Rows

15 reps

Tonight was a good night for me, last few times I have deadlifted it has been ugly so the goal tonight was to get in some solid work and leave healthy. I did just that and feel like I can build from here. Glad to be back on the grind! Adam had a great night, Rob and Nick got in some heavy work too! Thanks for the vid Adam...

Sessions are super Brandon, major props.

Cell Block Review

First of all I want to say thank you to every single member at GSB... Every one of you pushes me in a different way, I would never attempt a meet without the support of you guys. Now for the breakdown.

Saturday morning got up at 6 a.m. felt pretty good, a little stiff and groggy but all in all I was feeling well, and like Jake and I talked, I don't know if it is the fact I have competed more recently than in the past, but I had no worries at all. We went to Cracker Barrell had a good breakfast and headed over.

Usually at this point I feel very nervous and almost sick, but I was calm, and looking forward to watching and hopefully lifting some very big weights. In the warm-up room the weight felt exactly how I had hoped, but my form felt off, I just didnt feel like I was staying as tight as I needed to. AJ Roberts and Louie gave me a couple of words of advice and that helped reset everything, and it was time to squat.

Squats

825- Good Lift, felt perfect! Got to depth fast, knees stayed out, and it came up fast.

910- Good Lift, meet PR. Again lift felt good, and it came up fast. I talked to Louie right after this lift and he said I needed to go for 950, bring my grip in a couple inches and "give it hell".

950-Good Lift, meet PR by 50 lbs. Felt good going down, started up and my torso got forward so I had to push really hard through a sticking point but on the video you cant tell so much. AJ, was really talking it up in my ear when I was on the platform, he was giving me cue after cue to really help me through the lift. Have to thank Matt for the knee wraps, on all 3 attempts they were perfect, tight but not painful, and even... Perfect job on the handling.

Bench

550- Good Lift, this is a solid opener for me, kind of lets me get a feel for where my strength is going to be. Felt ok, looked fast, but did not know how the next attempt would go.

610- Good Lift, meet PR, felt better, felt fast... AJ suggested 650

650- Good Lift, 50 lb. meet PR. Everything felt good here, just wish I had known how to set my shirt before the meet, AJ set it and adjusted it where he thought I needed it... Paid off!

Deads

660- Good Lift, felt bad, but it was quickly pointed out to me that my head stayed down, I think I was just thrown a bit that it was 660, I had written down 650, but whatever it was still an opener.

705- GoodLift, 5 lb. meet PR. I had some demons to wrestle with on this lift, 705 beat me twice at the Pro AM, and this lift would bust 2300. Everyone was pulling for me, and it paid off, came up fast and felt very strong.

725- Good Lift, 25 lb. meet PR. AJ called this one, and told me to turn my toes out to load my hamstrings. It went up solid, maybe had a little more left, but 725 was a great call.

Total

2325- From March of this year to Saturday, my total has gone up 300 lbs. (290 to be exact). I owe this to a lot of things, but it has really been a refocus and dedication to the sport that I love and having good people around me who push, and believe in me. I wanna give a huge shout out to Jake, he pushed me in and out of the gym all training cycle and it all came together at the meet, it was a pleasure competing with and against you.... Just gotta figure out to get that first place trophy from your hands just one time!! HAHA!! Rob, man I said all I need to say to you on the phone, it meant the world to me that you were there, because you understand what it meant to me. Adam, you have been the one guy who never lets me be satisfied, you keep getting in my ear about getting better, and staying true to my form and staying within myself, wished you were there but you are always there when it matters in training. Matt, Kyle, Tim, and Lance all you guys help me tremendously... Thank you all.

As to what I want to do from here, I want to squat over 1000, bench over 700, and get my dead rolling towards 800... I want 2500!!

Iron House Plan

Well I have set my sights squarely on the Iron House Classic on April 24th and have kinda mapped out my goals and ideas leading up to the meet. I'll break it down basically around each lift.

Squat- This lift has been going really well for me, I think that lots of band tension and repeated heavy attempts on speed days. I really think the ab/core work I do at home is paying dividends in keeping me upright so I am going to continue there as well. I think one thing I am going to do differently this time is how I work my lower back, I am going to add more reps to all my accessory movements to try and bulk my back up a bit... I really just need to keep pushing on the squat, I think my training has been very good here, just need to keep milking it until I stall...

Bench- I really need to work my lockout and full range in the shirt. My raw strength is going up well, and it is paying off in the shirt, I just need to maximize the carryover to the shirt. I really think I have a newfound confidence in the shirt based somewhat on having a shirt that I feel like works with my "natural" groove, and also adding in the speed work.

Deadlift- Basically I am only gonna pin pull against bands, and then every 5th week pull from a deficit, so the only time I will actually pull from the floor is the day of the meet. I have thought this out long and hard, and did not pull from the floor for 6 weeks prior to my last meet so this schedule will allow me to replicate that fact for much longer. Also more heavy shrugs.

Goals for the meet, I really want to break 2400. That is my only goal for the meet. If that means a 975 squat, 675 bench, and 750 deadlift so be it. I achieve what I think I will by then it should go down like this (with all 2nd attempts being meet PR's)

Squats- 900/960/1000

Bench- 600/660/700

Deadlift- 675/730/750

If I hit my 3rds that would be 2450, and a huge progression from my last meet. I am not saying that will happen, I am just saying that is what I am training for... The goal is 2400, the rest will be a bonus!!

I am going to go full bore in the 308 class, and try to keep my weight up around 305-310 and get comfortable there... I want to be the strongest I can be when the meet rolls around!

Gonna be keeping my log here again... Lots of people seem to be interested as to how my training has changed since Ive been at Lexen. You can keep up with what Im doing, Ill share a vid from today.

Quote Originally Posted by brandonlilly3 View Post
    Gonna be keeping my log here again... Lots of people seem to be interested as to how my training has changed since Ive been at Lexen. You can keep up with what Im doing, Ill share a vid from today.

Looking good buddy
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

good to see you back brandon, was a keen follower of yours and daves logs on pro power...
    Check out my training:
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...?144135-My-Log

My smolov blog '12 : start 475 - finish: 520
    http://jtrain-ing.blogspot.co.uk/

Lots for me to learn from here.

Great the way you write your thoughts out Brandon!!
    Squat briefs only 625 @ 210
    Bench geared 525 @ 210
    Deadlift geared 650 @ 220

Captains of Crush #3

Building Mighty Mitts...

Welcome back. Looking good.
    JERSEY IRON POWERLIFTING
    198/220 Pro
    Currenty ranked #1 198 Multiply
    Best meet lifts @220 840/650/575
    Best meet lifts @198 875/585/630
    Best Raw Lifts @198 650/425/575
    Journal:http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122706

Eater of: 61 Buffalo wings in 8 minutes
    20 hotdogs+buns in 30 minutes

Thanks. I am still rejuvenating Pro Power. I had to stop for a little bit, but things are gonna be happening there. Not to detract from here Lol! I will be keeping my log current at both places.

8/30/2011

Medium Stance Squats to Parallel Box

Warm-Ups

3 sets of 8 with 3 heavy boat chains, and 4 smaller chains (Estimate 400-450 in chain)

Speed Pulls w/4 Chains

5 x 2 Sumo

5 x 2 Conventional

Back Raises Holding Sandbag

3 x 8

Hyper and Abs Circuit

15 Hypers, 8 Weighted Sit Ups x 3

Grip (Hangs) w/Fat Grips

Bwt x 3 x 30 secs

Really good workout today. Im seeing a lot of improvement in areas I was previously lacking… Just gotta keep on moving up!

9/1/2011

9/1/2011 Shirted Bench

I was not able to train at Lexen due to a funeral I was attending, but here is what I did.

Bench Press

Warm-Ups

365 x 2

405 x 2

Shirt On

545 x 1 to 3 Bd

635 x 1 to 3 Bd

715 x 1 to 2 Bd

785 (Planned meet opener) x 1 to 2 Bd

825 (Planned 2nd attempt) x 1 to 1 Bd

Tricep Pushdowns

3 sets x 12

Lat Pulldowns

3 x 12

Abs and Grip

That was it… Quick in and out, feeling good, and strong. Cant wait to bench!!

9/3/2011

9/3/2011

Squats Into Hanging Chains Set 1-1 1/2 Inch High

Warm-Ups

6 sets x 2

(Last set Chains were dropped close to parallel)

1 set Added 2 Plates and Reverse Green Band

Pin 2 Pulls w/Quad Monster Mini Bands (250 @ Top)

Warm-Ups

315 x 3

365 x 3

405 x 3

455 x 3

495 x 1

Reverse Hypers

4 sets x 15

Abs w/Bands

4 x 10

9/4/2011

Speed Bench w/Hanging KB's

Warm-Ups

205 x 3 x 7 sets, 225 x 3

Lying Tricep Extensions w/Chains

4 x 12

1 x 20 (Chest Press)

Military Press w/SS Bar and Hanging KB

3 x 10

Face Pulls

3 x 15

Band Shoulder Raises

3 x 15

Awesome workout. The accessory work wasnt extremely hard today but we pushed the reps a little bit. Everyone is looking strong.

9/6/2011

Seated Goodmornings w/Dbl Monster Minis

Warm-Ups

185 x 6 x 3

Stiff Leg Deads On 2 Inch Mat

315 x 8 x 4

Hyper, GHR, Abs Circuit

15 reps per Movement x 3 circuits

Bodyweight Hangs

3 x 30 secs