Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2009 Mr Olympia - all you need to know!

Jay deserved it, great Olympia last night.

Branch looked great. Dexter need to build a bridge and get over it.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!

Here is the video:

http://www.rxmuscle.com/videos/c-int...dybuilder.html

Hmm, White needs to rethink his talk...

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

man, i wish stan was able to top their lifts on the spot. that would have been great.

Working toward the next.
    Is it just me, or did it not look like JoJ locked out his 2nd deadlift attempt?

Wannabebig Member
    i agree it looks as though he could have but it didnt seem locked
    Chuck Norris can slam revolving doors.

If people didn't know who Stan was before, I think he just made a big splash into the lime light... my favorite exchange:

JOJ: come back and talk to me when you've won a show

Stan: and what show did you win...

It was probably for the best they didn't let Stan lift... doubt JOJ would have taken the challenge, and now Ben is buggered either way - has to make up 200lbs on his dead alone, and what will they squat????

This only got better!!!!!!!!
    He who gains victory over other men is strong; but he who gains victory over himself is strong(er)

"Get rid of all excess in life. The more you own, the more that owns you. Strip yourself of all things, of all the fat, and leave nothing but brain, muscles and cock. That is life." - Jim Wendler

My Journal

Quote Originally Posted by twm View Post
    man, i wish stan was able to top their lifts on the spot. that would have been great.
    And then after that the lights would have shut off in the building and the Undertaker would have come out and choked slammed him through the floor. That entire banter between them seemed so unnatural. It will be intersting to see if Johnnie trains for a meet and then meets Stan like he said he would. I think the next focus for them is the Ironman, so it will be awhile until there are any head to head meetings. For now, Stan is the man.

Jay looked great. I can't get over how much he has reined in his waist. Conditioning was great.

My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

And I'm glad Kevin won. This guy is huge for 202

My Journal

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

Jay's lower back is holding on a fiar bit, and his lats seem un-even in a few shots - he must of been even leaner in the pre-judging!!

Quote Originally Posted by Risk10k View Post
    Jay's lower back is holding on a fiar bit, and his lats seem un-even in a few shots - he must of been even leaner in the pre-judging!!
    That's just some good ol' fashioned thick muscle right there my boy

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    That's just some good ol' fashioned thick muscle right there my boy
    Ain't nothin' old fashioned about that back, that thing is freakin' 4 feet wide!

Quote Originally Posted by Risk10k View Post
    Ain't nothin' old fashioned about that back, that thing is freakin' 4 feet wide!
    Agreed. His back is second probably only to Coleman. Absolutely massive.

I was really impressed with Jay this year. Like CP said, his waist is way smaller than last two years! He honestly is the first guy I can think of who has been able to accomplish that. Most of the mass monsters I can think of, once they got a huge waist, it never went away.

Jay's did.

Plus, he's the first IFBB pro ever to have held the Olympia title, lost it, and then regained it! Very cool.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Oh, and I guess the word is that Heath was super sick Thursday night. Violent vomiting and such, so I'd imagine that had something to do with his lackluster showing, although Wolf was probably the biggest surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    Oh, and I guess the word is that Heath was super sick Thursday night. Violent vomiting and such, so I'd imagine that had something to do with his lackluster showing, although Wolf was probably the biggest surprise.
    Have you even seen Wolf train? Looks so lazy. Has freaky genetics.
    My Journal

CP, Do you think Wolf will fade into obscurity after this?

Quote Originally Posted by joey54 View Post
    CP, Do you think Wolf will fade into obscurity after this?
    He could. Like that Russian guy a few years back that was supposed to be the next big thing. Bit different since he got hurt, but nothing has been heard of him since. Also reminds me of Chris Cook. Won his pro card and looked great. Just never really got it together and stopped competing. I really hope it motivates the hell out of him. He has the good, just needs to bring it condition wise.
    My Journal

Even Victor did not look great, but aparently he was battling some adversity coming into the contest.

Bodybuilding can be hit or miss... a few mistakes in the prep and at this level it can fall apart in a hurry. It doesn't mean that they won't be back. Look at guys like Tony Alves who pretty much disappeared and is now back in action over 40 years old and looks better than ever.

There were a lot of impressive 202's. I had heard that one of the guys who I used to train with once in a while was competing - Jason Arntz. Does anyone know how he placed?
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 220 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    There were a lot of impressive 202's. I had heard that one of the guys who I used to train with once in a while was competing - Jason Arntz. Does anyone know how he placed?
    The 202 class was the better of the class imo. The guys really brought it. Jason looked great. Placed 8th.

My Journal

Quote Originally Posted by cphafner View Post
    He could. Like that Russian guy a few years back that was supposed to be the next big thing. Bit different since he got hurt, but nothing has been heard of him since. Also reminds me of Chris Cook. Won his pro card and looked great. Just never really got it together and stopped competing. I really hope it motivates the hell out of him. He has the good, just needs to bring it condition wise.
    Wow, I haven't heard of that russian guy for awhile!

Wasn't he the one who trained under a cemetery? That guy was pretty cool. Too bad he tore his pec.

You're right, Wolf's videos aren't super impressive. I think next years Olympia will be really interesting to see if a few of the guys who have the genetics, but didn't bring the total package this year, turn things around and shape up for next year.

Who thinks Jay is going to retire after this year?

Alexander Federov, that was his name.

Yep, the year Federov went head to head with Ronnie and Jay at the Russian Grand Prix he definitely held his own on the size and conditioning front. He was a MASSIVE guy.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Federov actually bought the gym where I used to train in New Jersey. I remember seeing him and he was pretty huge; didn't know about the injury though.

http://www.apollongym.com/

The gym was a converted fire house... pretty cool place to train.

Weight: 220 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    Federov actually bought the gym where I used to train in New Jersey. I remember seeing him and he was pretty huge; didn't know about the injury though.

http://www.apollongym.com/

The gym was a converted fire house... pretty cool place to train.
    I believe he tore his right pec.

My Journal

Here is his info from Wikipedia; not sure on the acuracy:

"After competing in various Russian and other European competitions, Alexander competed in the 2005 Mr. Olympia but he did not place. He also competed in the 2006 New York Pro, but did not place either. As of 2008, Fedorov was inactive in bodybuilding with no intentions of returning to the competitive circuit. His current weight is said to be around 190-200lbs."

These measurements sound a bit right for his contest stats:

Fedorov has a competitive weight of 280 lb at a height of 6'1:
    Biceps - 23 in
    Calves - 22 in
    Chest - 59 in
    Waist - 38 in
    Hamstrings - 32 in

Outside of the guys who probably won't be coming back, who are the big up-and-coming BB's? There was a lot of hype about Kai Greene and he did quite well at the O.

Trey Brewer was all hyped up last year but I do not believe that he was able to win the pro card at NPC Nationals? I met him briefly in Florida and he was absolutely massive. Made Ronnie look somewhat small next to him, but was not lean at all at that time. His off season weight was listed at 315-330 lbs and then he competes at 240-260 lbs... he must really blow up almost like Lee Priest used to.