Thread: Beginner looking for Advice.

Wannabebig New Member

Beginner looking for Advice.

Hi,

I'm about to start working out hard to lose weight that I've put on, I'm already tall and big but most of it is flab and some muscle. I currently weigh around 250 and stand at 6'2 and while I may not look overly fat I feel heavy and lumbering.

I want to know what should I do as far as workouts and diets to lose all of that weigh, I want to be at 200-210 of muscle. I don't want huge muscles but rather the more defined looks. I'm looking for an overall fit look with decent size chest and biceps and good abs.

Please tell me what I should do as far as working out and eating. Im super busy but I figure that I need to start at 18 almost 19 instead of at 30 and get fit now. I'm open to any help and advice, my goal is to be able to take off my shirt in public and be happy about it by the time that spring rolls around. Is it Possible?

Thanks!!!

I would just try to read as much as possible on the boards. Here are some basic pointers to get you started:

Training: Find a good balanced routine that includes all of your compound movements (squat, bench, deadlift, chins, rows, etc.)

Diet: Eat a high protein diet with a lot of whole foods. Avoid processed food, fast food, alcohol, high sugar, trans fats, or anything that mixes high carbs/fat in the same meal.

Supplements: Keep it simple and use only high quality proven products. Don't make decisions based on hyped up advertisements from muscle magainzes.

If you have any specific questions there are plenty of veteran lifters on here who can help you.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 218 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Welcome FitandDefined! We have the same goals for the future! There is a ton of information on this website,however very few people will spoon feed it to you! Start by reading some of the Stickies at the top of the forum pages! Most of your initial questions will be answered there,after that when you have some more specific question there are some very knowledgable and helpful people on this site! I recommend looking at Starting Strength for a workout program(http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=124795.
    When it comes to diet read these articles. http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99119

After you read them start your own Fitday profile and track it for a couple weeks,you will be very surprised at what you really eat! http://www.fitday.com/

Remember there are no shortcuts! Only hard work and dedication will yield results! Work hard! Todd

One other thing! If you don't squat your arms will not grow!
    Last edited by skinny99; 09-27-2009 at 08:37 PM.
    "The deadlift is more functional in that its very hard to imagine a more useful application of strength than picking heavy *h*t up off the ground" Rip

Max 3x5 Goal 3x5 by 12/31/11 *1X5
    Bench (245) (275) 285x1x1 335
    Dead (385)* (445) 435x1x1 505
    Squat (320) (355) 355X1X1 405
    Squat (195) (275) 20 Reppers!
    (950) (1075) 1075 1245 Goals (Not including 20 reps)
    5'10" 288Lbs 02/01/2011 Goal Weight 230 On my way back from a Break!

Weight gainer HAhaha
    i would suggest that there is really no need of protein supplements.. it is a subjective matter though... what amazes me is that most of the people who are into BB advocate the use of powder.. i have read numerous bodybuilding classic books and none of them ever advocate the use of such products.. just go for HIIT workout and things will be good for ya

Most of us [here] recomend having a healthy diet that is based on whole foods. Then we use simple stuff to fill the holes, like vitamins, fish oil, and protein powder. The old-timers may not have used supplements as we know them because they didn't exist. But, they did supplement with things they had available to them, like mixing powdered milk into their liquid milk for extra protein.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

i would say if youre dieting down to lose fat while building/maintaing muscle a protein sup is more important then while bulking. When youre eating more natural regular food youre eating more carbs (and more protein most likely) the carbs get used for energy leaving every gram of protein to be used for muscle or to be excreted, protein isnt a good energy source its not preferred by the body when theirs carbs/fat present. But when youre dieting youre specifically not giving your body enough carbs/fat so that it will take it from your storage tanks (your fat stores) so before or while its using the built in fat it will also start burning that protein you've been eating as a fuel source... so it would be better to cut out a few more carbs/fat and replace those with protein while dieting.

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    Most of us [here] recomend having a healthy diet that is based on whole foods. Then we use simple stuff to fill the holes, like vitamins, fish oil, and protein powder. The old-timers may not have used supplements as we know them because they didn't exist. But, they did supplement with things they had available to them, like mixing powdered milk into their liquid milk for extra protein.
    I do that, it's awesome, and if you're on a small budget it's an effective way to add the protein without raping your wallet.

Trying not to die young.

DESTINED*TO*BE*BIG
    definitely drink protein powder....i think thats one of the necessities in body body building