Thread: Need advice on how to strenghten shoulders and biceps

Wannabebig New Member

Need advice on how to strenghten shoulders and biceps

Hi guys well this is my first post here so I will ask the question thats been bugging me out the most. I have searched through the forum but haven't been able to find any detailed or similar post if there are any I apologise and please point them out to me.

I have been lifting weights for about a year now and have been able to increase the amount I lift every week on every muscle except my shoulders.

For squats I have reached 160lbs
    Bench press 100lbs
    Deadlifts 200lbs

But shoulders I cant seem to do more than 60lbs for barbell military or shoulder press

Front shoulders raise maybe 28lbs on each dumbell and lateral raise just 20lbs on each dumbell.

When I add any weight above this i just can't lift it. Even when I do pushups the first thing that starts to give way and get tired is my shoulders they just get weak very easily.

Even my arms biceps arent that great, triceps ok but biceps can only lift probably 32lbs dumbells on each arm.

If you need to know any more to help me out please ask.

Thanks in advance

What kind of rep scheme and progression (variation) are you using in training?

If you are constantly going for max effort lifts that is not going to build as much strength as hitting solid sets in the 3-5 rep range with some volume. Also remember that your deltoids and biceps are a small muscle group which are used as secondary muscles in a lot of common upper body movements. It is easy to overtrain them.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 218 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Just work off the "Everything is weak" principle.
    Don't worry about weight used in side raises etc, some very stong people only use 20-30lbs for side raises you just need to focus on big compound movements and do the small stuff a bit lighter.
    Work on doubling your squat, bench, deadlift, rows and military press and you will be right.
    As your bench goes up so will your shoulder presses.
    Good luck.
    Squat briefs only 625 @ 210
    Bench geared 525 @ 210
    Deadlift geared 650 @ 220

Captains of Crush #3

Building Mighty Mitts...

Wannabebig New Member
    @Tom Mutaffis thank you for your help.
    the max I can lift in Barbell shoulder press or military press its 17.5kg each side plus the bar weights 13kg.
    My routine is that I start with 15kg each side I can do maybe 1 set of 10 reps 1 set of 7 reps then 1 set of 5. Then i try to add more weight but i can't do more than maybe 3 or 4 reps on 17.5kg each side.

Something I am going to start doing is using dumbells for the shoulder and military press to vary instead of the bars and develop my left shoulder more and my balance when lifting because i notice my left side gets tired and the right starts taking over.

@NickAus Thanks for the advice Nick
    Last edited by uk mma fan; 10-02-2009 at 12:32 PM.

I'd do like both have basically said - just keep working, you'll get there. It just takes time.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

Quote Originally Posted by uk mma fan View Post
    @Tom Mutaffis thank you for your help.
    the max I can lift in Barbell shoulder press or military press its 17.5kg each side plus the bar weights 13kg.
    My routine is that I start with 15kg each side I can do maybe 1 set of 10 reps 1 set of 7 reps then 1 set of 5. Then i try to add more weight but i can't do more than maybe 3 or 4 reps on 17.5kg each side.

Something I am going to start doing is using dumbells for the shoulder and military press to vary instead of the bars and develop my left shoulder more and my balance when lifting because i notice my left side gets tired and the right starts taking over.

@NickAus Thanks for the advice Nick
    It sounds like you are following a good progressive workout regimen.

For accessory work you can do some heavy weighted dips, incline barbell/dumbell press, and close grip bench. Your triceps do a lot of work in the military press and strong triceps will allow you to overload your shoulders.

For biceps I like to do alternating dumbell curls. Try to keep good form but also move some heavy weight on these. Drop sets or "running the rack" are a great technique for volume/hypertrophy. Basically start out at 40-50 lbs dumbells and go to failure then drop down 10-15 lbs per hand and continue going to failure, and then once again drop down 10-15 lbs and really finish off your biceps.

Hope this helps - just be patient and make sure that you are getting plenty of good quality protein and rest.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 218 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Wannabebig New Member
    Thank you for your advice and words of encouragement Tom I really do appreciate it.

Peace

Good advice by Tom and Nick.