Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: World's Strongest Man 2009 - Malta

Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    them's fightin' words!
    lol, that meant I don't care how bloated he is, he's a MONSTER..

If I had to be that bloated to be that strong, sign me up!! At the same time, he's pretty damn lean.. looks like he carbed it up pretty hardcore on the flight over!

The only reason I'm cutting is because I don't want to go purchase a new wardrobe, lol..
    Last edited by JSully; 09-28-2009 at 12:45 PM.
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

Iron4Life
    Quote Originally Posted by =Travis= View Post
    As far as youtube goes, Poundstone's girlfriend is good about posting lots of videos of the comps so I bet she'll start having some up before too long.
    Yeah she is usually great at posting.. however, on another forum she has stated that WSM has requested that she not update the Internet Forums, etc... since she is Derek's GF.. and she is biting her tongue.. so, we may not be lucky this year to see them. We might have to wait until the official TV show at Christmas.. bummer.

It would be great to see Poundstone win - especially since I got to meet him and work with him at our local NH strongman competition.. but then again pretty cool to see Travis win - especially with his amazing stone runs or keg throws.. or to see Big Z cement his legacy by being the only one to win IFSA, the Arnold, Fortimus and WSM... or to see if Pudz can get 6 against the bigger guys and heavier events this year.. but for some reason I like the "youngsters" either Brian Shaw or Dave Ostlund.

Any way it goes should be a lot of fun to watch...

Banned
    Well that sucks. I remember all the videos last year. Since last year was in the US there was a ton of guys posting videos on youtube. She posted a bunch during Fortissimus this year as well. I guess we'll know who wins, we just may not get previews I guess.

Derek Poundstone is assured his spot in the final. Current scores in his group are uncertain, but it looks like the 2nd qualifying spot is still up for grabs between LPJ, Ilin, and Marku, with just stones to go.

Savickas and Shaw have a strong lead going into the last two events. Felix could break into the finals with a good performance on the last day, but it's pretty unlikely.

In Group 3, Phil and Mariusz have a strong lead going into the stones. Klyushev might be in striking distance, and Katona would need a last place from Mariusz to move on to the finals.

Loz has a huge lead in Group 4, already qualifying for the finals with 2 events left. Scoring is tight among the other 5 athletes, so the 2nd qualifying spot is going to come to the last event. Ortmayer is definitely a favorite with Keg Toss and Stones left.

Terry Hollands has a good lead, with Ostlund and Murumets battling out for the 2nd qualifying position. Expect this one to come down to the stones.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 225 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

DAY THREE HEATS RESULTS AND GROUP PLACINGS
    Monday 28th Sep 19:47:35
    Today's updates from Malta

Dumbbell Press

Group 1
    Derek Poundstone continuing to stay strong winning this event. Louis Philippe Jean and Kostiantyn llin fighting it out for 2nd place in tomorrows Atlas Stones event.
    Group 3
    A group of draws today in Malta with Phil Pfister and Alexander Klyushev in joint first place. Darren Sadler (UK) in 2nd place and both Mariusz Pudzianowski and Ervin Katona finished this event in joint 4 position. Group 3 continuing to be a battle for first place...
    Fingals Fingers

Group 2
    Zydrunas Savickas won this event with Brian Shaw placed in 2nd

Group 5
    Dave Ostlund won this event

Group Positions after day 3 of the heats

Group 1 - Derek Poundstone (USA) 10 points clear in the lead
    Group 2 - Zydrunas Savickas (Lithuania) leads by 2 points over Brian Shaw (USA)
    Group 3 - Another move in the leader with Phil Pfister (USA) taking the lead over Mariusz Pudzianowski (Poland)
    Group 4 - Remains unchanged with Laurence Shahlaei (UK) leading the group with both the Keg Toss and Atlas Stones in day 4
    Group 5 - Terry Hollands (UK) remains leader in this group

Weight: 225 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Thanks for the updates Tom. Missed seeing Derek compete at Five Points on St. Paddy's day. He couldn't make it down, but we did some other fantastic strongmen doing their thing. Pretty cool stuff... and then my truck got towed.

I can't help rooting for Pfister.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Wannabebig Member
    This is from a few posts back, but didnt lbstone win fortissimus, if i remember correctly it was a close finish but he was the only one to load the 512lb stone. Either way zadrunas and poundstone are impressive.
    Chuck Norris can slam revolving doors.

Quote Originally Posted by shortguy View Post
    This is from a few posts back, but didnt lbstone win fortissimus, if i remember correctly it was a close finish but he was the only one to load the 512lb stone. Either way zadrunas and poundstone are impressive.
    Savickas took 2nd in 2008 and won this year.

Here are a couple of his other accomplishments:

"Arnold Classic" Strongman winner (2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008)
    IFSA Strongman World Championship winner (2005, 2006), 3rd in 2007
    IFSA European Champion (2005)
    World's Strongest Man - 2nd Place - 2002, 2003, 2004

Not to mention countless other smaller strongman contests and powerlifting titles.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by shortguy View Post
    That was 2008 where that happened. They re-weighed that stone this year and realized someone screwed up and the stone was actually 530 so they renamed it the Louis Cyr/Derek Poundstone Stone. Poundstone came in second this year I think to the Big Z.

Wannabebig Member
    Thank you for clearing that up i was wondering if that was the case. Do you guys know where i can find a write up about the event of coverage of some sort. I would like to see how it went.
    Chuck Norris can slam revolving doors.

Banned
    Ironmind.com has been posting updates and there are some on the World's Strongest Man website but I haven't actually seen a write-up per se, just results.

World’s Strongest Man: Last Day of the Qualifiers
    by Randall J. Strossen, Ph.D. | ©2009 IronMind

With only ten slots available, the world’s top strongmen are down to the last day of the qualifying round at the 2009 World’s Strongest Man contest.

With hot weather, great action and a field seen as the best ever, action at the 2009 World’s Strongest Man contest has been tremendous by all accounts.

Brian Shaw going head to head with Zydrunas Savickas continues to be much talked about and their blazing performances in the Fingal’s Fingers was dramatic to say the least.

Andrus Murumets, tipped as an early favorite for the podiumn, “started really strong, but a surprising let down in his deadlift could well allow Dave Ostlund and Terry Hollands to go through from that group,” IronMind was told. “They have kegs and stones today and it’s going to be difficult for Andrus to hang on to second position.” Terry Hollands lead that group.

Phil Pfister and Mariusz Pudzianowski, both World’s Strongest Man winners, are said to be going through from their group, but this is unofficial. Pfister has won four events, IronMind heard, and Pudzianowski “is yet to win an event in their heat.” Darren Sadler produced a big performance in the deadlift.

Speaking of the deadlift, the Brits have done tremendously in the deadlift as well as the squat.

Between being sick and having a blown squat suit, Travis Ortmayer has had some bad luck, but it’s not over until it’s over.

they can wear squat suits?
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleJake View Post
    Yeah, I read the Ironmind update this morning and wondered the same thing.

BAPC - League City, TX UHCougar05's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleJake View Post
    The can wear whatever the promoter says is legal, but usually it's only really tight Z-suits or Inzer Hardcores and they're under their clothes. I've seen videos of guys using Metal briefs in an IFSA contest IIRC.
    Chris Hartschuh

My Team's Youtube Videos

http://www.thewarehousegym.net/

Meet PRs: 745/465/570 APF Class I @275
    Gym PRs: 705/475/555

Quote Originally Posted by lonesXedge View Post
    I hope Poundstone wins though, such a humble, strong guy.
    lolwut
    Roll Tide.

Squats suits are OK at WSM. They have been allowed previously as well, but in most cases the competitors have to wear shorts and a t-shirt to cover the suit.

Here are the ten athletes going to the finals:

From group 1
    Derek Poundstone
    Louie Phillipe Jean

Group 2
    Brian Shaw
    Zydrunas Savickas

Group 3
    Mariusz Pudzianowski
    Phil Pfister

Group 4
    Laurence Shahlaei
    Travis Ortmayer

Group 5
    Dave Ostlund
    Terry Hollands

Banned
    Nice to see that Ortmayer pulled it off and got into the finals. Hopefully his reported sickness gets better by this weekend. It's cool to see 5 Americans going to the finals.

Quote Originally Posted by =Travis= View Post
    Nice to see that Ortmayer pulled it off and got into the finals. Hopefully his reported sickness gets better by this weekend. It's cool to see 5 Americans going to the finals.
    Yes, one American from each qualifying group - all of whom appear to have a shot at the podium if things go their way.

Thanks for posting the updates Tom!

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Banned
    Oh, I'd go out on a limb and say atleast one of them will be on the Podium. I think all could take first if they do good. I think Big Z and Pudz also have a great chance to be on the podium. My early prediction is Poundstone, Zydruna and Pudz on the podium but I'm not sure of the order.

But reports were that Shaw was whooping some ass so he may go top 3 as well, and he did pretty darn good at Fortissimus.
    Last edited by =Travis=; 09-29-2009 at 03:21 PM.

Thanks for the info. Will they broadcast the finals? Some ESPN or whatever?

Regards!

Quote Originally Posted by Niko_El_Piko View Post
    Thanks for the info. Will they broadcast the finals? Some ESPN or whatever?

Regards!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    WSM is a TV show, not a live event. It will be aired around the holidays (late December). They are currently doing the qualifiers and then I believe there is a short break before the finals begin.

This will be one of the best years to date with the true world's strongest men participating. Savickas, Pudz, Poundstone, Shaw, Ortmayer, Murmets, Hollands, Loz, Pfister, etc. - should be an epic battle.

Bout the 4th post lol

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym