Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: World's Strongest Man 2009 - Malta

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by =Travis= View Post
    They'll be televised, it's just not live. It's every year at xmas there will be a marathon including the qualifiers up to the finals. Even though you know the winner, they're still fun to watch.

And at post 25

Banned
    Wow, that's going to be one hell of a final. There are some beasts in that group.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleJake View Post
    Pudz has this awesome grin on his face after seeing that guy at the weigh in, lol..

I was unaware derek was 330.. **** that's huge. How tall is he?

If I had the cash, I'd go to Malta and watch in person. I love watching WSM.. that was the highlight of my bouncing career: when they would replay WSM on saturday nights at midnight on ESPN, lol..
    I read on wiki that he's 6'1. 330 seems damn huge since most of the other competitors are much taller.... gives me hope, maybe I can break the 300lb barrier being only 5'11 ... not as a pillsbury doughboy though
    Last edited by fpr; 09-29-2009 at 09:34 PM.

Damn, which I had of known about this. I've always wanted to go to one of these events and Malta is only a couple of hours flight from England...

Still tempting to just book something and go out there lol.... hmm...
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

Banned
    Its funny how Strongman competitors are usually very tall compared to powerlifters who are quite compact. WSM competitors really are the largest, strongest guys on the planet. I think Terry Hollands is the tallest this year at 6'6, but I may be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Its funny how Strongman competitors are usually very tall compared to powerlifters who are quite compact. WSM competitors really are the largest, strongest guys on the planet. I think Terry Hollands is the tallest this year at 6'6, but I may be wrong.
    Brian Shaw and Phil Pfister are both in the 6'6+ range. Travis Ortmayer is 6'4-6'5 and Zydrunas is also around 6'4.

All of the competitors are quite large.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 218 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

World’s Strongest Man: The Finalists
    by Randall J. Strossen, Ph.D. | ©2009 IronMind

2006 World’s Strongest Man Phil Pfister reportedly posted the fastest time on the Atlas Stones, and is on his way to the finals.

So are 5-time World’s Strongest Man winner Mariusz Pudzianowski, not to mention Zydrunas Savickas, Brian Shaw, Laurence Shahlaei, Travis Ortmayer, Derek Poundstone, Louis-Philippe Jean, Terry Hollands and Dave Ostlund.

Much has been said of Brian Shaw’s very strong showing and the relentless power of Zydrunas Savickas, but today added more exclamation points as Pfister capped off his qualifiers with yet another win (netting victories in five of the six events) in the group where Mariusz Pudzianowski was shut out. Derek Poundstone came in as a big favorite for top honors, but he wasn’t able to load the final stone today - adding another dimension to pre-contest bets. And Travis Ortmayer, all but written off as dead and buried, well, his obituary was a little premature.

It’s onward and upward now, so stay tuned for the finals of the 2009 World’s Strongest Man contest

Weight: 218 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Directly from Travis Ortmayer:

"Thanks to all you guys for having faith in me! I felt like absolute Hell the first few days but I kept fighting and it payed off!! To tell the truth, I didn't even want to go to the final after the first two days... this is how bad I felt.

On a side note, all I can say is "I told you so" to all those who thought big Z wasn't suited for WSM. Too fat and slow, no endurance... blaa blaa blaa. I have never seen a 400 lb. man move the way he does!

Thanks again everyone! I will do everything I can to bring MY fire to the finals. With another day of rest I think it is possible.

-Travis

One more thing, for anyone who thought group 4 was a bunch of B-leaguers... Go **** yourself. And of course I mean this in the nicest way possible"

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    Brian Shaw and Phil Pfister are both in the 6'6+ range. Travis Ortmayer is 6'4-6'5 and Zydrunas is also around 6'4.

Yeah, I'd say Pfister is in the 6'6 range easily.

5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    Yeah, I'd say Pfister is in the 6'6 range easily.
    In the IFSA 2006 World Championship DVD the announcer says "Pfister's hands are huge... looks like he has a bunch of bananas hanging off his wrist"

2006 World’s Strongest Man Phil Pfister reportedly posted the fastest time on the Atlas Stones, and is on his way to the finals.
    Go Phil
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Banned
    In the IFSA 2006 World Championship DVD the announcer says "Pfister's hands are huge... looks like he has a bunch of bananas hanging off his wrist"
    LOL

I got a cousin-in-law who met Pfister at some comp and had him trace his hand on a t-shirt alonf with an autograph and the hand is HUGE.

Hope Savickas takes it, that guy is mind blowing
    "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends"

John 15:13 KJB

"Do not pray for easy lives. Pray to be stronger men. Do not pray for tasks equal to your powers. Pray for powers equal to your tasks"

Philips Brooks

It's true.

I was backstage helping at the Arnold a couple of years ago and all the strongmen were back there warming up. I shook Phil's hand and I don't think my fingers even touched his pinkie.

I felt like a little girl.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

I'm pretty sure it was the GQ article about Phil that described his hands as having "penis fingers".
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Banned
    LMAO

Besides, looking at Pfister's hands, I'd really love to see an American win this year but I am a big fan of Zydrunas

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    It's true.

I was backstage helping at the Arnold a couple of years ago and all the strongmen were back there warming up. I shook Phil's hand and I don't think my fingers even touched his pinkie.

I felt like a little girl.
    I know the feeling. I shook his hand, too, and I think my whole hand would fit inside his palm. Same with Brad Gillingham.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Yes, Poundstone is very fat. He's the local boy and all, but I would marry Brian Shaw in 6 states.
    Roll Tide.

Quote Originally Posted by KarstenDD View Post
    Yes, Poundstone is very fat. He's the local boy and all, but I would marry Brian Shaw in 6 states.
    I wouldn't say that Poundstone is fat at all. People were commenting more about how bloated he is (water retention).

Have to agree, Poundstone doesn't look real fat to me either.

Regardless though, the guy is an absolute stud

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Fingal Fingers

1. Z. Savickas -28,59 - World Record
    2. Dave Ostlund - 32,00
    3. Brian Shaw - 32,50
    4. Travis Ortmayer - 34,40
    5. Derek Poundstone - 35,50
    6. Mariusz Pudzianowski - 36,50
    7. Phil Pfister - 37,oo
    8. Terry Hollands
    9. Laurence Shahlaei
    10.Louis Phillip Jean

Farmers walk

1. Pudzian - 25,05
    2. Poundstone - 32,...
    3. Shahlaei - 33,...
    4. Savickas - about 40 sec.

Top 3 after two events:

1. Big Z - 17
    2. Derek - 15 / Mariusz - 15 (tied)

Wannabebig New Member

Brian Shaw is 6'8" and what's even scarier is size 17 feet

professional psychopath
    Quote Originally Posted by KarstenDD View Post
    You'd make a great wife

As far as Derek, I'll quote a wise man:

"You can blindfold him with dental floss!"
    Clearly, daddy didn't beat you enough as a child. If you were in front of us you'd show respect, so don't be an internet punk. - Matt Rhodes