Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: World's Strongest Man 2009 - Malta

Banned
    2002,2003,2004-Runner up.

Quote Originally Posted by =Travis= View Post
    I thought Savickas has never actually been to WSM before because of the whole IFSA thing.

Edit. He aint been there in a long time due to IFSA. He's been dominating The Arnold though since.
    Yeah, he was on it a few years back. Do a google image search for his name and you'll see some pics of him, a lot smaller than he is now, with a WSM shirt on squatting on one of the implements and such.

There was a marathon on last Christmas and the seasons went back FOREVER ago, I got to see some of his qualifying group. Could probably find some video on the internet.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Dead lift
    1. Savickas - 11 reps
    2. Pudzianowski - 9
    2. Poundstone - 9
    4. Shaw - 8
    4. Hollands - 8
    6. Ortmayer - 7
    7. Shahleai - 6
    8. Ostlund - 5
    9. L.F. Jean - 3
    10. Pfister - 0
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 220 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

"WSM - Brian Shaw and Derek Poundstone just finished the stones - Brian won and is no worse than third overall.

WSM - Big Z and Mariusz next on the stones - this is for the World's Strongest Man title...

Zydrunas Savickas just won the World's Strongest Man contest!"

Weight: 220 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Savickas wins WSM 2009!

1. Zydrunas Savickas
    2. Mariusz Pudzianowski
    3. Brian Shaw

Savickas won! Huge congrats. And Pudz second with Brian Shaw third.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    Dead lift
    1. Savickas - 11 reps
    2. Pudzianowski - 9
    2. Poundstone - 9
    4. Shaw - 8
    4. Hollands - 8
    6. Ortmayer - 7
    7. Shahleai - 6
    8. Ostlund - 5
    9. L.F. Jean - 3
    10. Pfister - 0
    whats up with Pfister not getting any reps? too heavy? was he broken?
    My journal
    Goal(Current):
    400(335) Bench Press
    600(520x3 2xBW) Dead Lift
    500(495x1) ATG Squat
    Total: 1500(1350)
    365 Front Squat
    consistency and intensity.

Wow, great battle for the top spots. I can't wait to watch it.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Awesome, glad to see big Z won it. Brian Shaw at 3rd is great to see as well.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Banned
    Congrats to big Z!

Quote Originally Posted by dynamo View Post
    whats up with Pfister not getting any reps? too heavy? was he broken?
    Not sure, he is not a great deadlifter but should have at least been able to pull a few reps. He was out of contention at that point so maybe just decided to play it safe and sit out on the deadlift.

Quote Originally Posted by lonesXedge View Post
    Awesome, glad to see big Z won it. Brian Shaw at 3rd is great to see as well.
    Yes, I really like watching Z compete and in my opinion this solidifies his spot as the greatest strength athlete ever - winning WSM, Fortissimus, and The Arnold (5X in a row)... along with IFSA Worlds. I saw video of his axle press from WSM and his combination of brute strength and conditioning is incredible.

It was also great to see Pudz come back and battle it out. He is a great competitor and is definitely the WSM man of the decade with 5 wins and a couple of additional 2nd place finishes.

Poundstone is probably disappointed being beat out by Shaw, especially since Shaw was not at America's Strongest Man a couple of months ago when Poundstone reclaimed that title. He generally posts a write-up as does Travis so I will keep an eye out for those and relay the information here. You have to think that the intense training and heavy contests that he has done have perhaps taken a toll on his body. He was doing some outrageous things in the gym leading up to WSM and may have burnt himself out.

Banned
    Yes, I really like watching Z compete and in my opinion this solidifies his spot as the greatest strength athlete ever - winning WSM, Fortissimus, and The Arnold (5X in a row)... along with IFSA Worlds. I saw video of his axle press from WSM and his combination of brute strength and conditioning is incredible.

What is the pay out for the? WSM

What about the Arnold, and Olympia?

I seen the Olympia Body building contest was 200 k, Thats what I read on Marundee Muscle Forum.

not much in the way of payouts for Powerlifting, even the body builders made more off that last wk end, not bitching because they are very strong guys and I think that was good for powerlifting. Maybe Powerlifting has 2 many weight classes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason198 View Post
    What is the pay out for the? WSM

What about the Arnold, and Olympia?

I seen the Olympia Body building contest was 200 k, Thats what I read on Marundee Muscle Forum.

not much in the way of payouts for Powerlifting, even the body builders made more off that last wk end, not bitching because they are very strong guys and I think that was good for powerlifting. Maybe Powerlifting has 2 many weight classes.
    The Arnold was said to have about $100K in total prizes, and I believe possibly $40K to the winner. There may have also been a vehicle for the winner as well (Hummer/Viper?).

Olympia strongman had a total of $15K divided between 10 athletes, am not sure on the specifics. (ASC contest)

One of the WSM qualifiers (Mohegan) had $25K in prizes paid out, and I believe WSM was somewhere in line with the Arnold in terms of prizes.

Fortissimus had competitive cash prizes as well.

------------------------------------

Most poeple do not compete in strongman for the money. It is not nearly as lucrative as bodybuilding and there are not as many mainstream sponsors. Some Pro contests in the USA have very little cash payout and so for anyone other than maybe the top three guys it is simply a hobby, sometimes a very expensive hobby.

I would say that Powerlifting is definitely competitive with strongman. A pro strongman can expect to maybe win $5K throughout the year in strongman if they are very good and consistenly make the podium. A regular pro strongman or very good amateur will probably spend a couple of thousand dollars to compete. If they are an international level competitor (maybe top 3 guys in the country) then they can expect to make $25K-$50K depending on how frequently they compete or if they can win a big contest. Internationally there are another maybe half dozen guys at that earnings level.

If someone wanted to make a living with the sport they would have to secure numerous individual sponsors and find a way to market themselves (website, etc.) rather than counting on prize money. I have some friends who are sponsored by big name supplement companies for bodybuilding and even there unless you are a top guy it is more just to make your hobby free rather than expensive; which is still a great achievement. A sport like strongman/bodybuilding can cost thousands of dollars per year for a regular athlete.

Good post Tom I was just wondering and curious.

I thought a few years back they showed the pay out for the wsm and there was like 100,000 to be divided between the contestants. I could be Wrong.

ANY WAYS THIS CONTEST WAS THE BEST!!!!

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1149608938556

Thats the stones, Big Z and Mariusz.

You can't see real well, but Big Z picks up those stones like they weigh nothing!
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

There was a video of Z's axle press against Brian Shaw that was posted as well. He was strait cleaning the ~350 lbs axle and pressing it like a toy!

The producers of WSM gave specific instructions not to post footage online, so those videos will likely be taken down soon.

There was a video of Z's axle press against Brian Shaw that was posted as well. He was strait cleaning the ~350 lbs axle and pressing it like a toy!

The producers of WSM gave specific instructions not to post footage online, so those videos will likely be taken down soon.
    I didn't think WSM would be happy, I saw where you posted about them talking to Derek's girlfriend

You can't see much in the footage anyway, I'll still watch it!
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Wow. Congrats to Big Z for showing who is the best of all time. What a showdown between he and Pudz. Just what everyone was hoping for. The Americans showed well, too, and before long I think we'll see Shaw or Poundstone taking home the title once again.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

After watching the videos Z had a pretty dominating performance. Pudz hung with him and the two of them were simply on a different level. Even watching the axle press when Pudz went head to head with Poundstone you could tell that Mariuz came to this event ready to battle.

If Z's boat pull wasnt absolutely horrendous he would have probably won by 5+ points, it looked like he didn't really practice that event or was maybe having some grip problems. No one can doubt his speed or agility once you watch the atlas stones, and his power/conditioning on the static events is simply amazing.

I am really happy for Savickas, Pudz, and Shaw. Looking forward to watching all of the footage in a couple of months on ESPN.

Link?

lol..
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

Most of them are on facebook. Not hard to find.

I don't think there are any on YouTube

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

I always thought Z was the strongest in the world. I'm glad he had finally got the opportunity to prove it. I consider it a huge victory for those of us who don't have abs.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Video