The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Pain/extreme soreness in shoulders after benching

I've been having issues with my bench form lately and just over these last few weeks my front delts have been extremely sore after benching. I've also noticed it barely feels like my chest is doing anything during the lift, and I've gone almost entire sessions without even getting much of a chest pump.

Something just isn't clicking anymore when I bench like it used to, I know my form is off but I just can't figure out what it is.
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I've never tried it, but I've read some stuff about pre-exhausting a particular muscle prior to a certain lift. It makes sense I suppose.....maybe you could try some H-rolls or some other shoulder movement prior to benching? I reckon you're pretty experienced, so I'm assuming you're not doing flys or some other pec isolation movement prior to benching.......I always feel it in my pecs, delts and tris the morning after benching. I've been doing DB presses instead of BB presses for a long time though. You might try the DB's to see if the extra ROM at the bottom stretches the delts out and engages the pecs more?....worth a try I suppose.

Yeah I've started doing dumbbell presses. I definitely used to feel it in my shoulders in the past, but like I said this is different. It feels like a lot more of the load is being placed on my shoulders. I've even been skipping shoulder workouts trying to give them more recovery time and it doesn't make much difference.

Video of your bench form would help tremendously.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:520 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Keep in mind the bench movers are primarily the triceps lats and delts. The pecs dont do very much. Did you just start tucking your elbows? This puts much more stress on the delts then if you previously benched with a Elbows out bodybuilding style.
    Best Lifts unequipped
    Best lifts Equipped

Thankfully Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

Try taking a video if you can so we can see where your form is off. If you recently started to tuck your elbows harder, this will reduce the strain on your pecs.
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

I am not an experienced lifter, but you might not be going all the way down with the bar, maybe half ways and all pressure is on said sored areas.

This is from personal experience. Not that I lift a ton, but this happened to me and it continued to be a problem, so I lowered the weight and problem solved. I wanted to lift more than I could with proper form and that was one of the problems. Another problem was leaving behind my triceps, and shoulders work outs, because of holidays and such, so I didn't do it for 3 weeks :S Bench hasn't been the same . I am stuck in 225 again, which feels freaking heavy right now

Last edited by Ryumexicano; 01-07-2010 at 01:12 PM.
    -█--------█- Squat: 285 x 3
    ......\☻/...... Bench Press: 235 x 3 (stuck there)
    ........▌....... Skull Crusher: 110lbs ez bar
    ......./ \......Standing Shoulder Press: 115lbs (barbell)

"I am always doing things I can't do, that's how I get to do them." Pablo Picasso

where do you touch on your chest?
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

Thanks for the help so far. We're having a gym meet at the end of January, I'll try to get a video then.

I have been tucking my elbows more lately as I was having a lot of pain in my right elbow any time I flared them out. I think I touch too high sometimes as well, whenever I miss a lift due to form the bar usually floats up too high.

I touch at or just barely below my sternum.. see if this helps
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

Quote Originally Posted by JSully View Post
    I touch at or just barely below my sternum.. see if this helps
    This is where I touch too. When I started tucking hard, thats when I started with the front delt pain more too. Do some miniband movements before you bench like front and side raises, band pullaparts, etc just to loosen up the shoulders, then make sure to use ice and advil afterwards. Definately helps.
    JERSEY IRON POWERLIFTING
    198/220 Pro
    Best meet lifts @220 840/650/575
    Best meet lifts @198 775/575/630
    Best Raw Lifts @198 650/415/575
    Journal:http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122706

Eater of: 61 Buffalo wings in 8 minutes
    20 hotdogs+buns in 30 minutes

I get shoulder pain from benching as well...but as I just learned now..I've been benching BB style...I didn't know about tucking the elbows...

I just tucked for the first time and I am substantially weaker in this position.. my questions are these, is tucking your elbows ultimately going to give me a bigger bench? Do all powerlifters tuck elbows?

Quote Originally Posted by Invain View Post
    Thanks for the help so far. We're having a gym meet at the end of January, I'll try to get a video then.

I have been tucking my elbows more lately as I was having a lot of pain in my right elbow any time I flared them out. I think I touch too high sometimes as well, whenever I miss a lift due to form the bar usually floats up too high.
    Thats it bro... Tucking places a lot more stress on the front delts/ tris, and less on the pecs.
    Give your shoulders time to get accustom to the new style of benching and the soreness will subside... In the mean time, ice them up after every hvy. BP workout.
    RC

I had the guys I lift with watch my form yesterday. They all said I was touching really really low.

never pre-exhaust before benching...this can easily lead to overtraining and injuries. I especially wouldn't recommend it for a muscle group that's already experiencing pain and repetitive soreness...just asking for an even bigger problem to arise. A principle primarily used in bodybuilding that I don't think really has a place in powerlifting.

i would suggest tucking more and working on your grip to maximize your productivity while at the same time limiting the amount of overall stress on your shoulders that are already a prime synergistic mover. false gripping the bar properly also helps when done correctly.
    Proud to be sponsored by APT prowriststraps.com

90* just means you're halfway there to becoming a man!

Quote Originally Posted by Invain View Post
    I had the guys I lift with watch my form yesterday. They all said I was touching really really low.
    sounds like you're having to do more of a "front raise" and having to "lift" the bar back into the groove instead of keeping it over your wrists/forearms/elbows for proper execution.

I'd say widen your grip some and mark where the bar needs to touch on your chest with chalk for a visual aid when bringing the bar down until it becomes engrained in your system.
    Proud to be sponsored by APT prowriststraps.com

90* just means you're halfway there to becoming a man!