Thread: Lockout work with bands

Lockout work with bands

Not a lot of weight, but just wanted to show how I do high brd lockout work. This wasnt a great set, but the guy doing the vids this workout wasnt the smartest and didnt get my sets I wanted...

This was 425+100 pounds of bands or so...kinda guessing at the tension cause we cant put the bands all the way down yet..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAZrSFQkH_4
    Sponsored by:
    OverKill Strength Equipment
    APT ProWristStraps

Success is usually achieved by always doing a little more than you thought you could, and a lot more than anyone else.

Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability." John Wooden

Have to wait till I get home to veiw the video dam it!
    Squat briefs only 625 @ 210
    Bench geared 525 @ 210
    Deadlift geared 650 @ 220

Captains of Crush #3

Building Mighty Mitts...

Am I right in guessing you are super fast off the boards?
    Bench geared 525 @ 210

Captains of Crush #3

Building Mighty Mitts...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bencher8 View Post
    This was 425+100 pounds of bands or so...kinda guessing at the tension cause we cant put the bands all the way down yet..
    Yeah since the bands aren't perpendicular to the bar, you only are working against the vertical component of the tension in the band ( ie it's probably not close to 100 pounds. But you could still measure it, you'd just need to measure the angle to the bar too )

Cool video though, we do stuff like that ( well except I'm slow on the decent, but I'm improving my speed going UP off the boards ).
    Last edited by BigTallOx; 09-30-2009 at 12:36 AM.

Did you always have a lot of speed? It's just crazy how much speed you get on your benches.
    www.wildirongym.com
    Become a fan of Wild Iron on Facebook:
    http://tinyurl.com/WildIron

Nice video, you might want to work on your speed!!!J/K
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

Sponsored By:

10/20/Life
    Vanilla Gorilla

Seriously, that's just sick speed.
    JERSEY IRON POWERLIFTING
    198/220 Pro
    Currenty ranked #1 198 Multiply
    Best meet lifts @220 840/650/575
    Best meet lifts @198 875/585/630
    Best Raw Lifts @198 650/425/575
    Journal:http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122706

Eater of: 61 Buffalo wings in 8 minutes
    20 hotdogs+buns in 30 minutes

Just got to see it, that is just awesome.
    Motivates me to really push my speed and get crazy fast!
    Bench geared 525 @ 210

Captains of Crush #3

Building Mighty Mitts...

I am not trying to be a dick, just trying to find ways to make my anemic bench get better. Why do you bounce them off the boards so much? Doesn't the stretch reflex and the added momentum from the bounce take away from the actual force needed to press the weight? Or is it just all relative? i was always taught an exaggerated pause/sink/heave off the boards. The speed is great, but if it is artificially generated, is there any carryover to actual lockout strength (the reason for doing the bands/boards in the first place? BTW, what is your best comp shirted bench?
    Meet Bests: 920/562/756/2216
    IPA World Record Total 275 M2 - 2125
    APF American Record Dead 275 M2 - 756
    APF American Record Dead 308 M2 - 745
    APF American Record Squat 308 M2 - 920
    APF American/World Record Total 308 M2 - 2216

Looks to me like your were wearing another stealth inc shirt. Man Inzer is going to flip. Atleast the long haired freak can't blame me for posting this one.

BTO...what are you talking about? I could barely understand that post...too many big words I guess lol I have measured those bands when they were stretched some further and it was 150# of tension at the top. I dont know about angle of the bar and all that, but as far as I can tell the band anchor point, my shoulders, and the bar are alll in a line..so whatever that means lol

Dammstrate....this was how I was taught to do it by George H many moons ago lol The idea behind the release is to increase the speed down, which increases the speed up. His quote was "fast down=fast up". The idea behind this type of work is to focus on the increase of speed, not just the amount of weight used. I firmly beleive in this approach. I believe that it does carry over to shirted benching, all my successful benches have been pretty fast. I think that to move heavy weights fast, you have to move heavy weights fast. By that I mean shorten the ROM and move heavier weights as fast as possible...not only just move sub max weights fast. My best shirted comp bench is 835@308.
    Sponsored by:
    APT ProWristStraps

Success is usually achieved by always doing a little more than you thought you could, and a lot more than anyone else.

Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability." John Wooden

Understand the speed down/up concept.
    I should recognize the name of an 8+ bencher.
    Who are you?
    Gregg Damminga
    APF American/World Record Total 308 M2 - 2216

Banned
    BTO...what are you talking about? I could barely understand that post...too many big words I guess lol I have measured those bands when they were stretched some further and it was 150# of tension at the top. I dont know about angle of the bar and all that, but as far as I can tell the band anchor point, my shoulders, and the bar are alll in a line..so whatever that means lol
    LOL, sorry. The bands aren't pulling straight down, so you aren't working against the entire tension in the bands. If you measured the force exerted straight down when the bands are in that position, then you're good, that's the amount of force you're working against when you bench. But if you just stretch the bands out and measure the tension in the bands, that's not the force that you're working against when you bench because the bands are pulling on the bar at an angle. That's all I was trying to say.

No big deal either way, it really don't matter how much work you're doing against the bands if it's helping your bench.

Banned
    Dammstrate....this was how I was taught to do it by George H many moons ago lol The idea behind the release is to increase the speed down, which increases the speed up. His quote was "fast down=fast up". The idea behind this type of work is to focus on the increase of speed, not just the amount of weight used. I firmly beleive in this approach. I believe that it does carry over to shirted benching, all my successful benches have been pretty fast. I think that to move heavy weights fast, you have to move heavy weights fast. By that I mean shorten the ROM and move heavier weights as fast as possible...not only just move sub max weights fast. My best shirted comp bench is 835@308.
    I'm confused by this. I understand what you're saying, but I've also heard really strong benchers ( who aren't fast ) say things like "speed kills". I'm not fast, but I've been trying to work on that. But now I'm wondering if some people are just slower/faster than other people and you need to bench in a way that's natural for you. Maybe that's true, I don't know. like I said I'm kind of confused about this.

Wannabebig Member
    that weight ain't ****! I've seen that fat guy hit a very fast 495+3 monster mini's "U"ed from DB's(330 lbs bands). Don't tell me you're now slacking on the lockout work Bencher

Rob, no stealth shirt here lol

BTO..ok I understand what you mean now. When I measured the bands. I stacked up boxes on the bench and added a scale at the top. I took the bar out and put it on the scale. The scale was at the same height as where my lockout is. It was all in a straight line..like it is in the vid, so maybe I measured right? IDK...i just lift it lol

You can always be faster, you just have to work at it. I wasnt always fast. I increased my speed when I started doing WSB speed work and utilizing bands/chains and benching like this. I actually felt that wasnt very fast for me..I have done lifts much faster than that one. My last set was 475 with that band and it was much better..just didnt get it on vid.

JJ, that was before my pec tendon mishap. I was much stronger then. I actually need to put some thought into this. My weights havent increased on my raw lockout work in a while....my lockout in shirt has increased a bunch though, so maybe I shouldnt mess with it. When I did that 495+3 mm's I missed a mid 800 in the shirt in that same workout. After these sets l did a 965 2 brd with straight weight.

Dammstrate, my name is Paul Key. bencher8 is my screen name on every forum I visit.
    Last edited by bencher8; 09-30-2009 at 03:26 PM.
    Sponsored by:
    APT ProWristStraps

Quote Originally Posted by BigTallOx View Post
    Yeah since the bands aren't perpendicular to the bar, you only are working against the vertical component of the tension in the band ( ie it's probably not close to 100 pounds. But you could still measure it, you'd just need to measure the angle to the bar too )

Cool video though, we do stuff like that ( well except I'm slow on the decent, but I'm improving my speed going UP off the boards ).
    As a rule when people talk about band tension at the top they mean just that ie: added tension to the bar at lock-out.
    The tension at the top is the tension at the top.
    Bench geared 525 @ 210

Captains of Crush #3

Building Mighty Mitts...

Paul or Bencher8 or what ever screen name you choose to go by. I have known you for a while under several names. This could be the reason a certain person didn't realize you were an affiliate of his. You have to many damb names!

Wannabebig Member
    FWIW, I've tossed these in various points (speed work with bands off a high board) and have gotten great results. Although this really doesn't mimic what happens in a full range press much at all, it seems like they make you do alot of the things that will push up your bench- keeping tight, shoving fast, locking out solid. Plus- it's a pretty fun lift and an awesome way to scare the new guy at the gym that's holding your boards.
    Last edited by Zak Freiwald; 10-01-2009 at 07:47 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NickAus View Post
    As a rule when people talk about band tension at the top they mean just that ie: added tension to the bar at lock-out.
    The tension at the top is the tension at the top.
    No, I don't think that's true. It should be true but it isn't because it's hard to measure (so most people don't and just guess). And it depends on the person, if I were to press against those bands, the tension at my lockout would be *much* higher since I've got a 7' wingspan.

No, I don't think that's true. It should be true but it isn't because it's hard to measure (so most people don't and just guess). And it depends on the person, if I were to press against those bands, the tension at my lockout would be *much* higher since I've got a 7' wingspan.
    when it's all said and done, it's just training. who really cares how much tension is at the top, it's not REAL weight, so let's just have fun with our bands, use 'em, train with 'em, set PR's with 'em, it's all the same, bottom line is it's just training. no need to get too serious about measuring band tensions.....

I'm not sure you have thought about it very well mate, the tension at the top is the tension at the top.
    He measured at the same height he would have the bar at lock-out-his lock-out.
    The angle of the bands does not matter only the tension at the top
    Yes with your arm length there would be more tension, with mine less.
    Bench geared 525 @ 210

Captains of Crush #3

Building Mighty Mitts...

Ahhhh, the famous Paul Key.
    How much DID you bench?