Thread: Gritting teeth while lifting

Wannabebig Member

Gritting teeth while lifting

I've always gritted by teeth pretty hard while lifting, and today noticed some actual pain in my teeth after deadlifting. It got me to thinking about whether gritting teeth is a no-no, or if I should just get a mouth guard to go between my teeth and keep gritting away. Any thoughts?

Wannabebig Member
    mouth guard

I would say stop grinding your teeth. If they hurt, then this is telling you that you need to address this. I used to grind my teeth, like at night. It indicates tension. Try to find something different to do with your energy. It is difficult to make changes, like when one chews their finger nails, I just stopped one day. I used to have this complex way of figuring letters in typing that gave my mind something to do. We can have a capacity for things mentally or emotionally, and we need to find some kind of constructive direction. Concentrating on the exercise that is at hand, doing the exercise, each repetition, with good form, will give you something to apply yourself toward. We are in need of correction oftentimes, in our habits. You will have to arrive at how many sets and reps is good for you, and do them, so that you find satisfaction in them, concentrating on what you are doing.

Then, perhaps doing some yoga afterward, in which you find stretches that you are needing to do, and you let yourself get into the stretch, for your health sake. If you be aware of your breathing, this will help to calm you. And how you breathe, if you breathe from the diaphragm. Some stretches are irritating to do, and hard to breathe from, but it is the concentration upon breathing in a healthy way during these exercises, that can help you in your physical health, and it helps our overall health. This should help any tensions that you may have. The applying of one's capacity upon things will help us to grow, and may help the structure of your mind. I have found it to be so.

Sorry if this is too much answer for a habit that you only have while deadlifting, or any lifting, but it struck a chord with me about our minds as well as our soma, how the discipline of exercise is healthful for it.

I got in the habit of biting my teeth really hard whilst doing heavy deads and benchs..... I started chewing peppermint chewies whilst training. I had to concentrate on benching and not choking on the chewie, stopped me biting hard :-) peppermint chewies also help my nose breathe easier
    I like lifting stuff.

Slamming your teeth together takes energy better spent on the legs.

Some people think they need to look like contortionists when they lift, whilst obviously the strain is going to evident on your face, there is no need to over do it, and grinding your teeth is just exceptionally dumb.

Relax the jaw, and put that pressure into the movement
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

Wannabebig New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    Slamming your teeth together takes energy better spent on the legs.

Some people think they need to look like contortionists when they lift, whilst obviously the strain is going to evident on your face, there is no need to over do it, and grinding your teeth is just exceptionally dumb.

Relax the jaw, and put that pressure into the movement
    When I lift .. I seriously clench my jaw. Outside of working out .. teeth grinding and clenching are a serious issue (painful). I did some research online and purchased a mouth guard from TotalGard, called the "StressGard NightGuard". I found this mouth piece to be the most effective and it was cheap!

Go: totalgard.com/

I hope this helps and happy lifting!

- Plardo
    Last edited by plardo; 10-01-2009 at 10:29 AM.