The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Anyone here ever had shoulder surgery and came back to PL'ing?

In 2006 I seperated my AC joint in my shoulder while doings CG BP. I took a break for a year after the injury and started back in March 2007. Ever since then I have been shouldering through all of the pain, learning to tuck my elbows on bench helped me the most. However, here lately I have noticed a significant change in the pain I experience in my right shoulder since lifting heavier than usual. I don't know if I'm getting tendonitis in my shoulder on top of the injury or what but seems like my right arm is always the one that is weaker. As you can see here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULb-jwxcQBs

Do any of you guys experience this same problem or have you gone through any surgeries to correct shoulder problems. The ortho that I saw in 2006 told me that it was a very common sports injury and advised against surgery. He told me to just take extra time to do warmups and that I would always have pain in the shoulder near the seperation. But seemed to think that I couldn't further injur it by lifting weights.

I cannot do simple things like throw a baseball anymore because the pain is tremendous.

Sorry for the rant, but it ticks me off when I love this sport so much but keep running into shoulder problems when things start going good for me.
    Best lifts

Bench Raw 560 Equipped 725 single ply
    Deadlift 750

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I feel your pain! I've avoided surgery so far by working with a PT to strenghten my rotators and get my biceps tendonitis to quiet down. Learning better bench form has helped as well and I use a shirt more with heavy full range reps and use more boards when raw. I also have a friend who did have to have a shoulder surgery and does well now. He's about 5'07, 250lbs and is back up to about a 540 raw bench. He went through a lot of Phys Ther. as well. Now we take plenty of time to warm up and bench starts with an empty bar.

What rotator cuff work do you do?

My AC joint used to bother me and after I started throwing H-Rolls in, it doesn't bother me hardly at all any longer.

One thing though, when it hurts, ice that sucker. The sooner the better to get the inflamation down.

Some of this may be the result of being in your bench shirt too much.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Someone to hand off to you might be of some help as well, I know if I start trying to lift out heavy weights to myself my shoulders bother me...thats why I don't do it, haha
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

I have had both my shoulders scoped, and am stronger than ever. Find a good sports medicine doc in your area, get a current MRI and see what the actual problem is, and see if it is worth rehabbing or going under the knife. I tried rehabbing myself, and when I knew that wasn't working, I went to the doc. I had bone spurs which was causing alot of pain in my shoulders.

I had both rotator cuffs operated on in 2004. The recovery was a pain in the neck but they are back and I'm lifting heavier than I used to. Like most stated, do a lot of prehab stuff and go see a physical therapist. Mine was acting up again recently and I went to one and they gave me a ton of new exercises to start doing and it's beginning to feel better.

I had a ton of old damage in my left shoulder 'cleaned out' with the scope in early 2007. I have no catilege left so the doc (Sport Medicne doc) smoothed up the bone on bone surfaces. There was labrum damaged smoothed up and a frayed Bicep tendon trimmed up. My next step is eventual Partial replacement. I still have pain but much better than before the surgery. I'm back in the ball park of my best lifts at 53 again. I've done a raw meet PR of 402 since the surgery and 600 meet bench in an open back single ply. I'm still hopeful of making a 700+ meet bench in open back multi-ply and have worked up to as much as 821 off of a 2 board that way. I can see me going on for several more years before getting the replacement surgery, so the scope was well worth it. Definately use a Sports Medicine Doctor.
    Proudly Sponsored by Titan Support Systems Inc. and 'Monster Barbell'
    Training log: (Mastermonster's Quest For The Records)

UPA Lousiana Chairman Eric Downey's Avatar
    halbert has had some shoulder issues im sure
    CLASH FOR CASH RAW504 SEPT. 11, 2010 KENNER, LA CLICK FOR INFO
    Eric "BIG EZY" Downey
    RAW BENCH BEST: 523 Raw Unity 2010
    RAW UNITY VID
    RAW TOTAL BEST:534.5 - 507 - 556.5 1598 APA Raw Nationals 2010
    534 SQUAT
    507 BENCH
    556 DEADLIFT
    Facebook YOUTUBE

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mastermonster View Post
    I had a ton of old damage in my left shoulder 'cleaned out' with the scope in early 2007. I have no catilege left so the doc (Sport Medicne doc) smoothed up the bone on bone surfaces. There was labrum damaged smoothed up and a frayed Bicep tendon trimmed up.
    I had the same thing in 2006 but my bicep tendon was detatched and I had a small tear in the rotator cuff. Almost all my pain issues with it were a result of the labrum/bicep tendon tear though. I am not as strong as I was but I'm down at 198 from 242 so I think that the reason. I am very close to being where I was at a much lighter BW
    Last edited by thegreatone; 10-01-2009 at 03:22 AM.

I partially tore my left labrum raw lifting (it wasn't the raw, it was the rack/unrack by myself with near max poundages - stupid). Found an ortho that had done a bunch of work for the Vikings FB team, his comment after the MRI was "you will never bench 600 unless we get this fixed". After getting it fixed, my bench as increased 50lbs, only about 30 to go to get the 6.

Notice the trend in the response? People who get their injuries FIXED, are better off. Those that think rehab will fix a shoulder injury always end up getting it fixed properly anyway. Get an MRI, find the problem, and get it
    FIXED.
    Meet Bests: 920/562/756/2216
    IPA World Record Total 275 M2 - 2125
    APF American Record Dead 275 M2 - 756
    APF American Record Dead 308 M2 - 745
    APF American Record Squat 308 M2 - 920
    APF American/World Record Total 308 M2 - 2216

My training partner had his shoulder fixed (labrum repair, shaved off bone spur, created more space) and was as strong as ever after he came completely recovered and built back up. He came back up to a near 700 BP (shirted).

Wannabebig Member
    In 2005 I tore my rotator cuff and my labrum in my left shoulder as well as having the collar bone shaved. It took a lot of work/rehab, but I am now back and even stronger in the bench than before the injury. However, I can't squat any more because I can't get my arm back far enough to hold the bar when squatting. I now do almost all of my bench workouts in a shirt as the support really helps - without a shirt there is still a lot of pain. So I almost always use a shirt when benching.