Thread: wrestling coach

Wannabebig Member

wrestling coach

OK, my wrestling coach has us working out on Mon, Wed and THursday. He has us doing hack squats, bench, incline, dead, powerclean, barbell row but you go all the way down to the floor instead of just standing and doing it(hard to explain) and l;ike 4 other things on all them days including running for 3x10. He said we need to be 20 percent stronger by the end of November when we bring out the mats. My question here is, that's allot of tearing down and what not with not much reast. How can I increase my strength like this as by the end of the lifts I'm dead and can barely do like 90 on the incline, and what ever lift I'm on it's like no weight. Am I still getting stronger even though I'm barely able to lift?

We also run like between 2-4 maybe even 5 miles them days.

Below in my sig is my max outs on what I maxed on
    Last edited by wwe9112; 10-11-2009 at 05:18 PM.
    Squat:1x 455
    Hack Squat:1x235
    Deadlift: 1x420
    Bench: 1x185
    Incline: 155
    Dips: 5
    Pull Ups: 2
    Height: 5'6
    Weight: 232

So your doing the same thing every workout is how I understand it?

Wannabebig Member
    Yea pretty much, we do different running drills and different amounts of them, but the lifting is the same.

Wow, that just incredible. Sorry, but most of my suggestions violate either board rules or rules of common decency. All I can suggest is eat lots, sleep well, look into recovery techniques like contrast showers and hope for the best. And hope for a new coach.

Wannabebig Member
    See last year it was my first year wrestling and i wasnt elagable to wrestling so i got some Exibition matches(6)... a few coaches wanted me on their team...parents wont let me transfer, and its to mant friends to leave behind.

So, you are doing wrestling practice w. running, and then, after that lifting? Is that correct?

Some kids will be able to handle it, and some will make considerable gains even though it's not the best training... I'm not sure what you're looking for here - if it were me, or my kid, I'd have a heart to heart conversation with the coach (zero confrontation) and try to work out training options that are more in line with goals.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Wannabebig Member
    I was just curious if we would really get any where

we havent got to the wrestling part yet sadly... 3 months conditioning so far.

High school coaches often know little about strength training. It would be more optimal to do weight lifting one session and conditioning/practice at another time, especially in the offseason. Sensei offered a good suggestion about discussing it with the coach as a parent. As a player/participant you usually have to do what the coaches say, but I don't believe you would be out of line to ask the coach what his expectations are of you following this program. I remember in high school we would start weight lifting, than when everyone got there we would run distance and sprints, then we would return to lifting. Definitely not the best way to go about things, but it did yield results because as a team we bought into the program. We also started getting out of class early so we could get the big 3 done before the coaches told us to start running.

Wannabebig Member
    I've been lifting for now 2 years, and I didn't think he was doing it right. I wish he would let me give him ideas. I wasnt sure if what he was doing was right htough as I'm new to the whole lifting for wrestling thing ya know. Well, lol, my strength is going down the toilet the last month or so I lost 10ib off my bench max