The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Squat form check

Hey guys, I'm looking for a little help with my squat form. I had a meniscusectomy on 10/31/08 on my left knee. You will notice I tend to shift my weight to the right side while going down and coming out of the hole. I barely notice it when I'm squatting but it shows up pretty blatantly in the videos. I also think I tend to do a bit of a good morning coming up, but I took this video after doing 4-5 sets of box squats so fatigue could be a factor.

Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSu2JtVyx6c&

Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuZcNViGtco

Any tips/feedback is appreciated. If you go to my channel you should find a couple videos of me squatting before the surgery that I posted because I was concerned about the hip/favoring one leg. Thanks a lot guys
    Last edited by ljs102; 10-01-2009 at 06:24 PM.
    Do or die

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I shift to the side a bit when I squat too.

Looks pretty good to me. Nice deep squats!
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

Thanks man. I appreciate it. You don't think the good morning is too much of an issue? It also looks like I hold the bar higher on my left side? Kind of strange. Thanks!
    Do or die

These are good squats, but you do need to fix the twisting of the hips--should be symmetric, as you know. Focus on this.

Thanks for the reply. I've been combating the problem by doing Bulgarian split squats (1 leg elevated on bench with dumbbells) on ME and DE days. Is there any other way to fix the problem other than unilateral exercises to try to even up the strength of both legs?
    Last edited by ljs102; 10-02-2009 at 07:25 AM.
    Do or die

Drop the weight and squat properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Kastro View Post

Fair enough. Thanks guys
    Do or die

He's squatting fine, did you even watch the video?

OP, are you interested in Oly style squatting, or a more powerlifting.

You look as if you are doing a bit of an awkward fusion, which is causing that good moring swing. Either get the knees forward over the toes, with the bar higher up and sit between the legs, or do a genuine hip back squat. I've never been one for the middle of the road.

If doing the Oly style, look into some heeled shoes.
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    He's squatting fine, did you even watch the video?

OP, are you interested in Oly style squatting, or a more powerlifting.

You look as if you are doing a bit of an awkward fusion, which is causing that good moring swing. Either get the knees forward over the toes, with the bar higher up and sit between the legs, or do a genuine hip back squat. I've never been one for the middle of the road.

If doing the Oly style, look into some heeled shoes.
    Thanks a lot for the reply, Fuzzy. I know the hip rotation is a problem and I've tended to favor my right side since the injury, even when performing exercises like glute-ham raises I have to pay attention that I'm not letting my right side do most of the work. Generally, if I focus on keeping everything distributed squatting I can keep the rotation to a minimum though.

I'm not sure what you mean by an awkward fusion of techniques? I think (I'm really not too sure about the differences in styles) I'm more interested in oly style squatting, as my goals are more geared toward becoming more athletic and upping my pathetic vertical jump. Obviously I want my numbers to go up though. My form is based off watching people on this forum's videos and reading Starting Strength if that means anything.

My hamstrings and back tends to be pretty tight, which could explain the good morning, but I usually warm up and stretch for a decent amount of time before squatting. It's something I'm working on and have realized since my injury that flexibility is crucial for being a good athlete, especially a good lifter.

About the shoes: they're old Jordan's and the heel is pretty solid, I think they work well.
    Do or die

Quote Originally Posted by ljs102 View Post
    Thanks a lot for the reply, Fuzzy. I know the hip rotation is a problem and I've tended to favor my right side since the injury, even when performing exercises like glute-ham raises I have to pay attention that I'm not letting my right side do most of the work. Generally, if I focus on keeping everything distributed squatting I can keep the rotation to a minimum though.

That's something you can fix just by squatting more and working on it.

I'm not sure what you mean by an awkward fusion of techniques? I think (I'm really not too sure about the differences in styles) I'm more interested in oly style squatting, as my goals are more geared toward becoming more athletic and upping my pathetic vertical jump. Obviously I want my numbers to go up though. My form is based off watching people on this forum's videos and reading Starting Strength if that means anything.

Yeah, to me Rippetoe's squat is an awkward fusion that tries to take the best of both worlds and ends up with a weird movement. I have seen people squat huge with hips back PL squats, and with true Oly technique, this weird fusion never cut it imo.

If you are interested in genuine Oly squatting, low bar work is not for you, keep it high and on the traps.

My hamstrings and back tends to be pretty tight, which could explain the good morning, but I usually warm up and stretch for a decent amount of time before squatting. It's something I'm working on and have realized since my injury that flexibility is crucial for being a good athlete, especially a good lifter.

This is misinformed. The tightness you maintain in the bottom indicates there is little problem with hamstring tightness. On the contrary, you look very mobile. Where the problem occurs is what the knees are doing, which is not going forward far enough. This is a by product of the low bar which is forcing your hips back, but also because yo have poor ankle flexibility as well as shoes that aren't great.

About the shoes: they're old Jordan's and the heel is pretty solid, I think they work well.

Well, here is a hard fact. They don't. People are willing to spend hundereds of dollars on athletic equipment, supplements, gym memberships but nothing for a measley pair of shoes that will last many years and give better squatting technique than stretching. Trust me on this. At the least look into some chepa Dowins, but get yourslef in some proper shoes, and you will never understand why you doubted me in the first place.
    Answers in bold.
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

I second the advice on the shoes. Once you get a pair you will wonder how you survived without them. VS Athletics has a really good sale on shoes every once in a while. Like Fuzzy said, they should last you a long time, so they're easily worth $100+ dollars.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

Thanks again guys, I really appreciate the help. The funny thing is, I though the way I held the bar was high bar positon? I'm not sure if I could hold it higher without it being practically on my neck, haha. I'm pretty sure I'm resting the bar on my traps and my arms/shoulders aren't flexible enough for the low bar position, but from this thread I can tell I could very easily be wrong.

I will look into some shoes for sure.
    Do or die

Another question- Did anyone notice that I hold the bar unevenly? It looks to me like the bar is a few inches higher up on the right side. Does this seem like a big issue to anyone? Thanks again guys.
    Do or die

I disagree, I think it's too light for him. He needs to up it so we can see how he is squatting with something that is difficult to manage.