The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

And the 2016 Olympics Games Go To.....

RIO

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,559181,00.html

COPENHAGEN — Finally, South America gets an Olympics. The 2016 Games are going to Rio de Janeiro.

In a vote of high drama, the bustling Brazilian carnival city of beaches, mountains and samba beat surprise finalist Madrid, which got a big helping hand from a very influential friend.

Chicago was knocked out in the first round — in one of the most shocking defeats ever handed down by the International Olympic Committee. Even Tokyo, which had trailed throughout the race, did better — eliminated after Chicago in the second round.

Rio spoke to IOC members' consciences: the city argued that it was simply unfair that South America has never hosted the games, while Europe, Asia and North America have done so repeatedly.

"It is a time to address this imbalance," Brazil's charismatic president, Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva, told the IOC's members before they voted. "It is time to light the Olympic cauldron in a tropical country."

The bearded former union leader disappeared into a huge group hug with the joyous Rio team after IOC president Jacques Rogge announced that the city won. Football great Pele had tears in his eyes.

Madrid's surprising success in reaching the final round came after former IOC president Juan Antonio Samaranch made an unusual appeal for the Spanish capital, reminding the IOC's members as he asked for their vote that, at age 89, "I am very near the end of my time."

Samaranch ran the IOC for 21 years before Rogge took over in 2001.

Chicago had long been seen as a front-runner and got the highest possible level of support — from President Barack Obama himself. But he only spent a few hours in the Danish capital where the vote was held and left before the result was announced. Former IOC member Kai Holm said that the brevity of his appearance may have counted against him.

The short stopover was "too business-like," Holm said. "It can be that some IOC members see it as a lack of respect."

Senior Australian IOC member Kevan Gosper surmised that Asian voters may have banded together for Tokyo in the first round, at Chicago's expense.

"I'm shocked," Gosper said. "The whole thing doesn't make sense other than there has been a stupid bloc vote."

He worried that the shock exit could do "untold damage" to the already testy relations between the IOC and the U.S. Olympic Committee. They had recent flare-ups over revenue sharing and a USOC TV network.

"To have the president of the United States and his wife personally appear, then this should happen in the first round is awful and totally undeserving," Gosper said.

The European-dominated IOC's last two experiences in the United States were bad: the 2002 Salt Lake City Winter Olympics were sullied by a bribery scandal and logistical problems and a bombing hit the 1996 Games in Atlanta.

Obama had held out the enticing prospect of a Chicago games helping to reconnect the United States with the world after the presidency of George W. Bush. He told the IOC earlier Friday that the "full force of the White House" would be applied so "visitors from all around the world feel welcome and will come away with a sense of the incredible diversity of the American people."

Now, Chicago can only rue what might have been. And Obama's gamble of expending his own political capital on the bid backfired.

The last U.S. city to bid for the Summer Games, New York, did scarcely better. It was ousted in the second round in the 2005 vote that gave the 2012 Games to London.

Tokyo did better than many expected by reaching the second round. It had offered reassurances of financial security, with $4 billion already banked for the games.

But the fact that the Olympics were held only last year in Asia, in Beijing, handicapped the Japanese capital's bid.

Its plans for a highly compact games, sparing athletes tiring travel by holding all but the shooting within 8 kilometers (5 miles) of the city center, were technically appealing. But the bid failed to generate real enthusiasm, even in Japan. Tokyo had the lowest public backing in IOC polls, with 55 percent of residents supporting the bid and 7.8 percent strongly opposed.

Tokyo's final presentation Friday to the IOC, while smooth and heartfelt, lacked the buzz that the Obamas and Rio generated. In short, Tokyo was simply overshadowed, failing to convince IOC members that it really wanted or needed the games.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I was happy it went to Rio. I have some great friends that are from there.
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs
    Bench: 250
    Deadlift: 435
    Squat: 350
    OHP: 190

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    I think its pretty cool idea, would be nice to take the games to South America, home of Carnival and beautiful Brazilian women.
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

Smeagol on Steroids Mercuryblade's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BigCorey75 View Post
    I think its pretty cool idea, would be nice to take the games to South America, home of Carnival and beautiful Brazilian women.
    There are some crazy good genetics for body types down there. At least that is what the strip club tells me.
    http://www.senseaboutscience.org.uk/

Starting Current
    Bench: 45 lbs Bench: 235 lbs
    Squat: 95 lbs Squat: 285 lbs
    Deadlift: 100 lbs Deadlift: 330 lbs

The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    Its an amazing combination of genes, you have native indian, latin, spanish, and african genes in a massive gene pool, bound to get the best of the best mmmmmm

delicious

i went to school with this chick from Brazil, she was ridiculously smoking and gorgeous and had such a sweet personality. Ended up hooking up with her randomly one night after we had graduated about a year or so ago, top 3 bone of all time in my life. Not necessarily because she was so great just because she was so hot, and flexible and a bit of a glutton for punishment....lol

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

I'm a little disappointed. But the glaring fact that South America has never hosted the Olympics, combined with the anti-American sentiment in the IOC, didn't really make this a shocker. I'm just surprised that after the backing of the Obamas and Oprah, that we still got bounced in the 1st round.
    My Training Log

You want science and studies? **** you. I've got scars and blood and vomit. - Jim Wendler

Rio is awesome, I'm glad it went to them. Agree on all the above statements regarding hot women. Chicago was a joke bid. Get the Olympics there and have international fans caught up in gang cross fire.
    Name: Justin Height: 6'2" Weight: 205 lbs. Age: 25

"Pick the right door, and you'll go free ... pick the wrong door, and there he'll be ..."

"It's the most fun in the park, when you're laughing in the dark!"

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Beast View Post
    Chicago was a joke bid. Get the Olympics there and have international fans caught up in gang cross fire.
    What? Have you spent a week in the summer in Chicago? Along the lake, with the music, art, architecture, food, etc? There's violence in every major metropolitan city in the world. Brazil has had to send in federal troops into Rio numerous times just to help contain the crime there recently. Police in Rio murder three people a day on average.
    My Training Log

You want science and studies? **** you. I've got scars and blood and vomit. - Jim Wendler

I don't get why people care. I've tried to care, I really have. I feel like I'm supposed to. But I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by d0rkyd00d View Post
    I don't get why people care. I've tried to care, I really have. I feel like I'm supposed to. But I don't.
    Same here. I think in the US we were suppose to care b/c the President and 1st lady and Oprah were giving a huge push for Chicago.

At least we won't have to deal with the massive corruption stories that are circling about Obama friends that bought up tons of real estate in areas where Olympic dorms were to be and they were ready to make millions and millions. Now we just have to listen to the pundits mock the president for failing to bring the olympics to his home town. Its to bad Chicago couldn't have gotten the Olympics but Rio should be a nice place for them.
    Last edited by BilltheButcher; 10-02-2009 at 02:06 PM.
    Never shall innocent blood be shed, yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The Three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of God.

Quote Originally Posted by BilltheButcher View Post
    Same here. I think in the US we were suppose to care b/c the President and 1st lady and Oprah were giving a huge push for Chicago.

At least we won't have to deal with the massive corruption stories that are circling about Obama friends that bought up tons of real estate in areas where Olympic dorms were to be and they were ready to make millions and millions. Now we just have to listen to the pundits mock the president for failing to bring the olympics to his home town. Its to bad Chicago couldn't have gotten the Olympics but Rio should be a nice place for them.
    I really love this topic, having first hand knowledge of the corruption in Chicago Aldermen & related party contractors and the connection they have to Obama, but since Chicago didn't get the bid, I'll let it go.

I hope Rio benefits from the games immensely.

Quote Originally Posted by twm View Post
    I really love this topic, having first hand knowledge of the corruption in Chicago Aldermen & related party contractors and the connection they have to Obama, but since Chicago didn't get the bid, I'll let it go.

I hope Rio benefits from the games immensely.
    Oh, don't let me rain on your parade. I love it when Obama is exposed as just a regular, scheming, corrupt, over blown ego and money grubbing politician. If I was president I would try to get the Olympics to this country though too, and him flying to Copenhagen for a few hours and then back is not a big deal to me either - he was trying to bring the Olympics to the US, granted from all that has been uncovered it appears instead of being patriotic, it was a money grab for his political friends. However, all Presidents try to help their friends, so its not really a surprise. My biggest issue is that the Obama supporters can't admit or won't admit that he isn't mr. perfect.
    Last edited by BilltheButcher; 10-02-2009 at 06:30 PM.
    Never shall innocent blood be shed, yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The Three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of God.

No Pres is Mr. Perfect, same as when Bush was in his first year or presidency he had his followers and contenders, its what American Politics were about

Ok, we didnt get the olympics, big ****ing deal, lets work on problems in this nation now like the job loss and healthcare reform, I can watch the olympics on TV but not if I dont have a job or decent economy to establish a business in to have afford a home to watch a TV to watch the olympics.

To me this is a small blimp, we swung and missed ok kool, now lets work on problems here....

Quote Originally Posted by d0rkyd00d View Post
    I'm with you, but not just about the Olympics. We had a huge push here in Indy for a Super Bowl. We got the 2012 event. I just couldn't possibly care any less about that either.

The way the citizens got screwed to make the bid a success is infuriating.
    If one person can do something, anyone can learn to do it.
    Do what you've always done and get what you've always gotten.
    There is no failure, only feedback.

"Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step".--Lao Tzu

Pro-Choice...ON EVERYTHING.

Isn't Rio one of the top cities in the world for kidnapping?

Did anyone show the Olympic Committie "City Of God???"

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Quote Originally Posted by mrelwooddowd View Post
    Isn't Rio one of the top cities in the world for kidnapping?

Did anyone show the Olympic Committie "City Of God???"
    It's my understanding that there are only certain parts that are that bad. I'm sure they'll be holding it in the good part of the city AND up security quite a bit to ensure that visitors are safe. It's a big pie in the face if you are unable to keep your visitors safe during the Olympics. Heck one of the main reasons to have the Olympics is to PROVE to the world that tourists can be safe in your country (and thus boost tourism to your country). That's why I actually like the Olympics going to developing countries.

Of course even with beefed security that doesn't mean there won't be any incidents. I'm tempted to say that "incidents" (the bad kind) at the Olympics are becoming less and less common but that still doesn't mean that you can be 100% sure that something bad won't happen.

I'm glad Chicago didn't get it. I mean seriously how many times does the US have to host the Olympics? We are already developed and should let quickly-improving countries use hosting the Olympics as a way to improve themselves and boost their economies. Nothing against Chicago though but I'd rather see the Olympics somewhere with nice scenery like Rio than the urban metropolis of Chicago.

The fact that South American hasn't had one yet but now has countries who could easily ensure a safe event leads me to believe that Rio had it in the bag no problem.

Guess I've got my excuse for travelling to Rio in 2016! Who else is with me! I'll bring the condoms!
    Last edited by d'Anconia; 10-04-2009 at 06:59 PM.
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

**** the condoms im just bringing viles of penicillin

Quote Originally Posted by BigCorey75 View Post
    **** the condoms im just bringing viles of penicillin
    I'm planning on being an Athlete there.

As a hopeful to one day go there, I am happy with Rio. It shpuld be an amazing experience, and now I have all the more reason to train harder.

The only problem will be ensuringthere are no massive variables due to the wheather, diet etc. I recently had a taste of how much travelling to another place and eating different food etc can mess with your comp prep, and that was onlyinter state in Australia. But the little things like different eggs, milk, etc creates a head**** when you are already sick with nerves.

I hope it's damn hot and humid. Us Aussies will be crusing on 100 degree wheather whils those Eastern Europeans who lift on ice block will be freaking out.
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.