The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

3 years ago to now, fail.

WOW

i just got done looking at my old pictures and ive came to the conclusion that the last 25 lbs i have put on was all fat.

i really think its the camera, but i didnt take any pics but back double bicep because the rest were so terrible.

heres an old picture when i was 16 and around 200 pounds, im not sure what my lifts were.

http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/att...2&d=1142800286

and here is a picture now, HAIRY FAT AND 250

man, you would think id look better benching almost 600 pounds deadlifting over 600 pounds and squatting over 700 pounds. along with 300+ inclines, 400+ rows, and heavy ass arm work.

i suck, i almost want to cut, but my diet is too far gone.

im not sure of my measurements, arms are probably 17? chest is 52, and waist is a PLUMP 39.5
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2000 or bust

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

you look much wider and thicker, IMO

my waist is 40.5, I weigh 275lbs and you're strength tops mine...

**** it bro, just keep at it!!

If you're that worried about fat, then go on a recomp..
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

Holy **** stump you're a solid freaking block.

Honestly it doesn't look that bad. My waist was 38" when I weighed 230 if that makes you feel any better lol.
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

Quote Originally Posted by Invain View Post
    Holy **** stump you're a solid freaking block.
    Hence the name I think mate haha.

Stump there are a lot of PL's that have gone through body recomp after years of terrible diet and I think now is a good time to start if it's an issue for you.

Mike Wolfe and Dave Tate come to mind. Wolfe especially as he lost a crapload of weight (something like 100lbs?) and still set new PR's.
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

Stump! Holy **** it has been a long time.

YOu are now officially a gorilla, you look great!
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

im serious guys, look up my pics when i was like 225, i looked fantastic, i just went through a little depression phase, hell i went to smokey bones for dinner and ordered plain pulled pork, turkey, broccoli, and corn. lol.

we will see, ill most likely ignore myself and keep going, but im still suprised how much fat ive put on.

what size pants do you all wear? i can still snug into old 38 dress pants but i need a belt (loose belt) with a 40
    2000 or bust

You're right, Stump. You look bigger, but considerably fatter. Have you thought about going with a generally diet here at WBB? Not a GOMAD and SEEFOOD diet that some people advocate. Keep your fats high, keep protein high, and severely restrict carbs for 24 weeks and see where you're at.
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs
    Bench: 250
    Deadlift: 435
    Squat: 350
    OHP: 190

IF it helps stump, I have a 43 inch waist around the belly button. I have no idea why it's so damn big. I'm not fat, either and I'm 247. I guess I'm built like a square. Ha.
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs

I was wearing 38's for pants dude.

i cant go on a low carb diet, i have tried it, i lose strength and weight too fast and im too hungry.

im just complaining, im still getting stronger and thats all that matters right now, ill get my 600 bench @ 20 yrs old NATURAL.
    2000 or bust

Wannabebig Member
    Forget the diet, an all over body wax would take about 30lbs off you!

Quote Originally Posted by Stumprrp View Post
    i cant go on a low carb diet, i have tried it, i lose strength and weight too fast and im too hungry.

im just complaining, im still getting stronger and thats all that matters right now, ill get my 600 bench @ 20 yrs old NATURAL.
    DNP. Just saying.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Stump your definitely huge man. You gotta think about your goals. Would you rather be lean, but weak, or big/fat and strong? I weigh only 215, and I feel like i'm fat, but I dont want to cut because A, I like getting strong, and B, I just wouldnt feel good at a lower weight.

It's pretty clear what your goals are, (to get as strong as possible and bench 600), so do whatever you ahve to do to attain those goals, then take a step back and reevaluate your goals.

Good to see youa round man
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

youve unmistakably gained a lot of muscle and fat. i would try to hit that 600lb bench and diet down to a reasonable level. good luck man

I'm very satisfied with my results so far on carb cycling. I'm going to put up pics in about 4-6 weeks, but I'm still increasing in all my lifts, and I'm rarely hungry. Plus, a high carb day after a low carb day, to me, makes it sustainable, because you know there's a light at the end of the tunnel.

I think it's slower, but for me it's worth it to not lose muscle. I've probably done it for 4 weeks now, and I'm seeing more definition than I've seen in a while.

Don't be such a girl Rob. You look huge, you also look hairy. Great work!!

i know im being a fool and im really not too sloppy in person, i mean when i was 220 i think i had a 37 waist and now im 39.5? i mean for a 30 lbs gain i dont think thats too too bad.

regardless, im going to clean up my diet and try to maintain, probably replace itself overtime.

it sucks now that im 20 and i have no chance of being the best without taking steriods, it frustrates me, but ill keep hitting the gym hard like i am now, i cant sleep after some workouts because im sore.
    2000 or bust

it sucks now that im 20 and i have no chance of being the best without taking steriods, it frustrates me, but ill keep hitting the gym hard like i am now, i cant sleep after some workouts because im sore.
    Rob, don't be frustrated that you think you can't be the best with out anabolics. Be frustrated that no matter how much you pump into your body, there will always someone who will beat you! Such is life Keep SFW!!

Quote Originally Posted by Detard View Post
    Stump your definitely huge man. You gotta think about your goals. Would you rather be lean, but weak, or big/fat and strong? I weigh only 215, and I feel like i'm fat, but I dont want to cut because A, I like getting strong, and B, I just wouldnt feel good at a lower weight.

It's pretty clear what your goals are, (to get as strong as possible and bench 600), so do whatever you ahve to do to attain those goals, then take a step back and reevaluate your goals.

Good to see youa round man
    You can be strong and lean, it just takes extra dedication as far as die is concerned to maintain strength while cutting weight. One of my biggest influences is Sam Byrd. 1000+ squat at 198 and has competed as a bodybuilder.

Stump I know you don't wanna risk losing any strength, but have you considered the damage you could do in a lighter weight class if you lost weight? I might be doing a meet later in October and I'm pretty sure I'll do better if I can get down to 198 instead of lifting in the 242's, which is where I was before I cut. All personal preference I guess, some guys wanna move the biggest weight possible, others go for the best strength:weight ratio.

too me strength and weight ratio doesnt mean anything, the biggest weight is the biggest weight. ive done the STRICT diet thing, ask chris mason he set it up for me, i lost about 15 pounds in three weeks and all my lifts went down. my training partner feels that as a natural lifter its not worth it dieting to go down a weight class but just clean up the diet and see how things work over time.

and if i were you i would not try to diet 40 pounds to compete in the 198s, see how you do at 220.
    2000 or bust

Stump, when I came on this site I was 186 lbs. I had good blood pressure, low cholesterol, no heartburn, asthma RARELY acted up, never had joint problems. Since I followed the "eat what you want" lift big weights diet I have raised my blood pressure, raised my cholesterol, i have CHRONIC heartburn, asthma is always acting up and I weight 247lbs and have tons of stretch marks to prove that I'm obese.

Get strong if you want, but just because we're young doesn't mean we're invincible. Life is short. There is no guarantee of anything after this life. Stay healthy, lift strong, lift smart, and live long.
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs

too me strength and weight ratio doesnt mean anything, the biggest weight is the biggest weight. ive done the STRICT diet thing, ask chris mason he set it up for me, i lost about 15 pounds in three weeks and all my lifts went down. my training partner feels that as a natural lifter its not worth it dieting to go down a weight class but just clean up the diet and see how things work over time.

and if i were you i would not try to diet 40 pounds to compete in the 198s, see how you do at 220.
    It's a matter of priorities bud.

For me it got to the point where my gut began affecting my lifting cause I couldn't stay tight in the full position.

It sounds like strength is your mistress.

allen - my blood pressure is 115/75 and my doctor hasnt mentioned my cholestorol, i also have no problem breathing. 247 lbs is not obese dude, watch the biggest loser. thats obese.

i understand all of these consiquences, i was told to go up to a full 275 but i dont want to, i rather just stay this weight and try to slowely overtime become 250 lbs and jacked, instead of 250 lbs and bulky.

sorry if this thread is out of hand, i was just shocked with how i look.

and if your all wondering, i do GPP twice a week for about a half hour, hey its a start...
    Last edited by Stumprrp; 10-04-2009 at 06:29 AM.
    2000 or bust

allen - my blood pressure is 115/75 and my doctor hasnt mentioned my cholestorol, i also have no problem breathing. 247 lbs is not obese dude, watch the biggest loser. thats obese.

i understand all of these consiquences, i was told to go up to a full 275 but i dont want to, i rather just stay this weight and try to slowely overtime become 250 lbs and jacked, instead of 250 lbs and bulky.

sorry if this thread is out of hand, i was just shocked with how i look.

and if your all wondering, i do GPP twice a week for about a half hour, hey its a start...
    There are different levels of obesity, bro. You have being overweight, obesity, morbidly obese, etc. Having larger than a 40" waist puts a person at many different physical setbacks: heart disease, cancer, diabetes, etc. I'm not saying you're not in good shape. Some of it is genetics. I'm just saying be careful.

If lifting heavy and hard is your thing, that's awesome. Just make sure you keep your health.

It's been said a lot on the forums that YOU WILL NOT be prolonging your life by adding tons of weight and lifting as heavy as you possibly can with the eat just about anything you want diet.

Not to mention there are numerous studies that have demonstrated that a Reduced Calorie Diet prolongs life by decreasing rates of cancer, disease and various other sicknesses.

You have definitely put on some mass. You look very thick. Just make sure you don't overdo it. Good luck!
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs

I've already lost about 25 pounds, sitting around 205-210 when I'm fully carbed and hydrated. I'm pretty sure I can already make 198 if I diet hard and cut enough water.

So far I've gained 5 - 10 pounds on my deads, 5 pounds on my front squat, and various other lifts have gone up nicely. The only thing I've lost some on is bench, and mainly because I had a slight pec tear that kept me from benching heavy for a couple months. Obviously gaining 5 pounds on a lift over a several month period isn't impressive, but when you've lost 20+ pounds of fat anything in the positive direction is good. Nothing is impossible man.