Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Cut fat, maintain weight and increase strength... possible?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    WannabePLer fpr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    838

    Cut fat, maintain weight and increase strength... possible?

    I'm trying to gain strength, maintain body weight, and cut fat. I know it's tough to do, but what would be my best supp to look into?

    I'm 5'11 weighing in at ~240lbs @ ~20% BF

  2. #2
    big on TONING dynamo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Cockeysville, MD
    Posts
    1,219
    I'm the process of that now, I eat mainly protein and fat and go for a small calorie deficit. of course ive been sick for 2 weeks but i was still making gains while losing fat.

    oh and if i got really hungry i would just eat a tablespoon of PB and walk away.
    Last edited by dynamo; 10-03-2009 at 07:19 AM.
    My journal
    Goal(Current):
    400(335) Bench Press
    600(520x3 2xBW) Dead Lift
    500(495x1) ATG Squat
    Total: 1500(1350)
    365 Front Squat
    consistency and intensity.

  3. #3
    Senior Member skinny99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    691
    It is tough for an experienced lifter to cut and gain strength! I can't tell your experience level. However us beginners have a much easier time,just getting off the couch yields gains in strength. Start a very regimented diet plan and a quality workout routine. My suggestion is to use a product like Nitrean for your protein enhancement,Fish Oil and Nitor for fat loss and energy boosts. Good luck!
    "The deadlift is more functional in that its very hard to imagine a more useful application of strength than picking heavy *h*t up off the ground" Rip

    Max 3x5 Goal 3x5 by 12/31/11 *1X5
    Bench (245) (275) 285x1x1 335
    Dead (385)* (445) 435x1x1 505
    Squat (320) (355) 355X1X1 405
    Squat (195) (275) 20 Reppers!
    (950) (1075) 1075 1245 Goals (Not including 20 reps)
    5'10" 288Lbs 02/01/2011 Goal Weight 230 On my way back from a Break!

  4. #4
    WannabePLer fpr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    838
    Thanks, until I'm benching 350+, pulling 550+, and squatting 475+ I'm still considering myself a beginner

  5. #5
    Strongman Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    119
    Quote Originally Posted by fpr View Post
    I'm trying to gain strength, maintain body weight, and cut fat. I know it's tough to do, but what would be my best supp to look into?

    I'm 5'11 weighing in at ~240lbs @ ~20% BF
    Working with multiple goals is possible, but takes a lot of discipline and a good program.

    Here is some basic information on the four big factors:

    Training -
    For training you will want to work with heavy weights (3-5 rep range) then perform your isolation and accessory movements with lower intensity in the 8-12 rep range. Make sure to include compound movements at the start of each workout and you should focus your energy on squats, chins, rows, deadlift, weighted dips, pressing, etc.

    If you are interested in something more detailed there are a number of great programs on this site or we can write up something custom for you.

    Diet -
    This is going to be one of the most important factors in achieving your goals. A high protein diet with moderate fats and moderate carbohydrates loaded with whole foods will be the key. Your diet should include lean meats, vegetables, whole grains, egg whites, and protein supplements. Read up on the glycemic index and use that to determine your meal timing; this is the basis for the South Beach diet and is very effective for bodybuilding and body composition purposes. Stay away from excess dairy, processed foods, trans fats, or any meal high in both fats and carbohydrates (because of insulin response). Drink one gallon of water per day and stay properly hydrated when exercising.

    Supplements -
    Here is a list of what I would purchase:
    • Protein Powder - Nitrean is a great protein powder. It is easy on the stomach, tastes good, and utilizes a high quality protein blend loaded with isolates. It can be used for meal replacement, PWO, and bedtime. Ideally you probably want 2 protein shakes per day which would cover 1/4 of your daily intake required.
    • Stimulant / Fat Burner - Nitor or Thermocin. Either one of these will be good for metabolic support, energy, and training focus.
    • Creatine - This will help to maintain strength and bodyweight while cutting. Creatine is safe, inexpensive, and works very well. Some people may observe a bit of water retention but that is very easy to drop and the stimulants should help to offset some of that. Water intake will also help to minimize water retention.

    This entire stack will be less than $100 for a 2-3 month supply and should help you to achieve your goals.

    Lifestyle -
    When following extreme training programs or working toward numerous goals (improved body composition, improved strength) it is important to get plenty of rest. Avoid excess drinking or recreational drugs and if you are overly stressed or feeling run down then take it easy in the gym. The biggest mistake that you can make is overtraining and your body will give you plenty of warning signs.

    Hopefully this is what you were looking for. Feel free to PM me or post any questions here if I can be of assistance.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

    Weight: 220 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

    Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

  6. #6
    WannabePLer fpr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    838
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    Working with multiple goals is possible, but takes a lot of discipline and a good program.

    Here is some basic information on the four big factors:

    Training -
    For training you will want to work with heavy weights (3-5 rep range) then perform your isolation and accessory movements with lower intensity in the 8-12 rep range. Make sure to include compound movements at the start of each workout and you should focus your energy on squats, chins, rows, deadlift, weighted dips, pressing, etc.

    If you are interested in something more detailed there are a number of great programs on this site or we can write up something custom for you.

    Diet -
    This is going to be one of the most important factors in achieving your goals. A high protein diet with moderate fats and moderate carbohydrates loaded with whole foods will be the key. Your diet should include lean meats, vegetables, whole grains, egg whites, and protein supplements. Read up on the glycemic index and use that to determine your meal timing; this is the basis for the South Beach diet and is very effective for bodybuilding and body composition purposes. Stay away from excess dairy, processed foods, trans fats, or any meal high in both fats and carbohydrates (because of insulin response). Drink one gallon of water per day and stay properly hydrated when exercising.

    Supplements -
    Here is a list of what I would purchase:
    • Protein Powder - Nitrean is a great protein powder. It is easy on the stomach, tastes good, and utilizes a high quality protein blend loaded with isolates. It can be used for meal replacement, PWO, and bedtime. Ideally you probably want 2 protein shakes per day which would cover 1/4 of your daily intake required.
    • Stimulant / Fat Burner - Nitor or Thermocin. Either one of these will be good for metabolic support, energy, and training focus.
    • Creatine - This will help to maintain strength and bodyweight while cutting. Creatine is safe, inexpensive, and works very well. Some people may observe a bit of water retention but that is very easy to drop and the stimulants should help to offset some of that. Water intake will also help to minimize water retention.

    This entire stack will be less than $100 for a 2-3 month supply and should help you to achieve your goals.

    Lifestyle -
    When following extreme training programs or working toward numerous goals (improved body composition, improved strength) it is important to get plenty of rest. Avoid excess drinking or recreational drugs and if you are overly stressed or feeling run down then take it easy in the gym. The biggest mistake that you can make is overtraining and your body will give you plenty of warning signs.

    Hopefully this is what you were looking for. Feel free to PM me or post any questions here if I can be of assistance.
    Thanks for taking the time to provide me with a detailed response (as well as the others). I will definitely be PM'ing you soon and will be purchasing the Fat loss stack

  7. #7
    Administrator chris mason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Posts
    12,691
    RESULTS would do wonders so long as you account for its caloric content. I honestly believe no supplement is better in a caloric deficit. I have personal experience to back my opinion.


    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

  8. #8
    LuNa
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Tilburg, The Netherlands
    Posts
    3,716
    Any rules of thumb for determining the amount of moderate fats and moderate carbs. Would the 0.5g per lbs of bodyweight still apply for fat?

    How would carb cycling be for these goals at the same time?

  9. #9
    Strongman Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    119
    Quote Originally Posted by LuNalicious View Post
    Any rules of thumb for determining the amount of moderate fats and moderate carbs. Would the 0.5g per lbs of bodyweight still apply for fat?

    How would carb cycling be for these goals at the same time?
    Each person has different insulin sensitivity and that will be a main factor in determining your necessary fat/carbohydrate intake. Along with this activity levels are also an important factor and that does play into the next question about carbohydrate cycling.

    Carbohydrate cycling can be effective, but for someone who is trying to gain strength and maintain size while losing bodyfat it may hinder recovery if you went too low on the carbohydrates. It is an advanced diet method that applies well to bodybuilding but can be quite tricky when strength is a factor.

    Overall I would say that nutrient timing is more important than the actual amounts of each macronutrient.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

    Weight: 220 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

    Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Similar Threads

  1. why cant girls do pushups or chins ?
    By Shocker in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 89
    Last Post: 11-16-2010, 05:38 PM
  2. for cack to investigat and other
    By body in forum Diet and Nutrition
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-01-2001, 11:46 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •