The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

I need SPF results

It's killing me. I want to know how Joey Smitty and Smitty did.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

you might have already heard by now. I just got home. Joey missed his opener at 750, got 760 on his second and missed his last(dont remember what it was, but high 7 or 800). Smitty bombed with his opener at 770. I thought he got his 2nd and third with it, but no go. I think he was having real problems with how soft the bench pad seemed to be....a lot of guys had stability problems with that.

Jim Hoskinson missed his squats with depth, but did well in the bench with a PR 780. Got all three 720, 760, 780...

Vick bombed. Hit is 805 opner fairly easy, but his foot slipped at lockout and he locked, then unlocked, and then locked his right arm again. Took a jump to 1035 on his second and missed it.
    Sponsored by:
    OverKill Strength Equipment
    APT ProWristStraps

Success is usually achieved by always doing a little more than you thought you could, and a lot more than anyone else.

Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability." John Wooden

Thanks Paul, I was hoping for better news. At lest now I know.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

Banned
    Sucks to hear Joey didnt hit 800. He's one of the nicest guys Ive met in this sport. He'll get it soon though, thats for sure.

Believe and Become.

Paul, was it a Forza bench? Or was it one of those SPF benches that we've had in the warmup area sometimes?

That's a bummer Smitty, I'm sure you'll come around and get it next time.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

It was a Forza, but it wasnt the grey one from before...the pad wasnt as stiff as the ones I have benched on..dont know why. The platform was also giving problems with footing...everyone seemed to have a problem with it. It was rubber, but it was slippery. The new Nebula Mono they had was badass!

Charles Bailey did well. Lifted single ply. Hit a 2440 total. I dont remember the numbers though. Hit a 730 pull I think. There was a 2000 raw total(some guy from the top hog crew) hit a 775 pull.

Chris Janek hit a 1075 squat, benched low 7(I think 705) and a 770 pull. Totaled 2550 I think..right there somewhere.

Laura Phelps broke her total record and hit 505 on bench at 165.

Biggest bench was Harley Timbs with 805@275.

My training partners from SSBB did well. JB Hill got a PR 660@259, Shannon Amos hit 520@242....Both PR's.
    Last edited by bencher8; 10-04-2009 at 05:56 PM.
    Sponsored by:
    APT ProWristStraps

Success is usually achieved by always doing a little more than you thought you could, and a lot more than anyone else.

Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability." John Wooden

I love the soft pad Forza. I bench on one every week.

Congrats to Harley, he's been pushing for a 800+ bench for awhile now.

I benched on a soft pad Forza at last years ProAm and I did like it, but mostly because I could drive with my hips really hard without my butt comming up.

I like either one really, so long as I stick to the pad I'm good

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

The bench was from cell block. I have benched on it before and didnt notice that it was soft then, but that may have changed since I was there. Brent got it from Lou. It had the gripper material, so there wasnt an issue with slipping. I think Jesse should look into carpeting that platform instead of rubber though. I will have to keep that in mind for the dec meet. Benching with my feet wide like I do, footing problems just kill me.
    Sponsored by:
    APT ProWristStraps

I totally agree. I like carpet a lot better for benching. My feet really stick to the ground and you don't have to worry about someone's spilled water or whatever on the platform.

I think Jesse likes the rubber platform for the squatting because the carpet seems to, over the time of the flights, bunch up a little from where the competitors feet stand and can sometimes actually stretch while they are squatting, which with the rubber isn't a problem.

Can't see an issue though with throwing down a carpet square real quick before we set up the bench though.

They definitely seemed to have some issues with the platform being slick yesterday. Laura set up for a pull and when she started pulling her foot slipped. They had quite a few issues with baby powder.
    750/425/625/1800 at SPF Georgia State meet on 8/07/10
    Started Powerlifting: September 08
    Phillipians 4:13
    Pslams 23:4

I had a ****ty day. LOL. My first attempt I just wasn't set up good and fought the weight the whole way down. Got it to touch and ended up going back in to the uprights at the top. Second attempt went very well--got the weight down good and right when I was about to lock out, my left foot started slipping--close on the lockout--didn't get the call. Third attempt, weight came down good again, drove it up and was just shy of lockout.

I wish the platform had carpet--it was rubber and when the chalk gets on it, it starts getting slippery. But thats the way it goes--as a lifter I need to be prepared to deal with it. I talked to Kara Bohigian Smith after the meet and she suggested keeping some kind of tape in the gym bag to put on the shoes to prevent slipping if needed. I will be doing that. The bench pad was soft--again--I gotta be prepared to deal with it. My bench has a real stiff pad--just wasn't used to the soft one. I just got a Seguin Bench from T-Baggins which has a soft pad--I will be benching on it now as well.

Just have a couple small bugs to work out--I will be doing the Michigan Bench for Cash in November. The meet was very well run, and I had a blast. Met Joey Smith--super cool dude. Congrats to Laura as well. Big thanks to Paul for the hand-offs and Thanks to Jeremy Frey and Joey's partner for the 3 man hand-off. I am glad I got the rust shaken off--will be ready for Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by bencher8 View Post
    The bench was from cell block. I have benched on it before and didnt notice that it was soft then, but that may have changed since I was there. Brent got it from Lou. It had the gripper material, so there wasnt an issue with slipping. I think Jesse should look into carpeting that platform instead of rubber though. I will have to keep that in mind for the dec meet. Benching with my feet wide like I do, footing problems just kill me.
    Buy a pair of sambas. They are indoor soccer shoes. When you see the heel pattern, you'll understand why they rock. If you drive through your heels, they will never budge in those shoes.
    www.wildirongym.com
    Become a fan of Wild Iron on Facebook:
    http://tinyurl.com/WildIron

Thanks marcus, I will look into those...

I messed up Robert Vicks results to. He didnt bomb the meet. He did his first attempt raw and did 405, then missed 805 on his second and 1035 on his last. Very nice and humble guy.
    Sponsored by:
    APT ProWristStraps