The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Why is the high from a new 1RM so short lived?

Well today I hit 550 on my deadlift I was hoping to hit it at my 1st meet so when I did in the gym today I was on cloud 9 for about ten mins then I was felt like who cares now I want 575. Does anyone else go through this?
    BW SQ BP DL Total
    283 455 365 475 1295
    272 425 345 495 1265
    229 408 275 551 1235 <---1st Meet
    Raod to 1607 Elite Total Log- http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=131363
    http://www.facebook.com/#/AndredeJesus?ref=profile

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Yeah, you're always going to want more. Its what keeps you going to the gym day after day, week after week. You reach a goal, then set a new one and work to get it!
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Banned
    Its a vicious cycle my friend. We live and die for PR's sometimes, yet when we reach them, we're unfullfilled. Its because we are never satisfied. And no matter what you tell yorself, you can never be happy with a certain weight. Your always gonna want more. Its the journey there that makes it fun.

I think all of us do, that's why we chose this sport. Always trying to get better, always trying to stronger, always chasing PRs.
    My Training Log

You want science and studies? **** you. I've got scars and blood and vomit. - Jim Wendler

Lol, when I hit a PR I get a BIG high for a couple of minutes and then it is on to more...

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Satisfaction is the death of desire.

and like Giles Corey said....''More Weight!''
    This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; the being thoroughly worn out before you are thrown on the scrap heap; the being a force of Nature instead of a feverish selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy - George Bernard Shaw

if you waste time being happy with what you have already done, then your wasting time that you could have spent getting stronger.

illinois fattest lifter theBarzeen's Avatar
    good work on the deadlift........ now start working on 600........

I'm always pretty happy with a big PR - anytime I can add a plate to a PR I'm stoked. I don't ever lose the sense of satisfaction I gain from a PR. If anything, it gives me the confidence to take the next step forward and hit that next weight. You'll probably remember 585 a lot longer than 550 and 605 will be one you'll never forget!

Pro Strongman | Moderator Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    I think that it depends on how long you have fought for a PR. If you just walked in the gym and felt good one day then hit something that you had never done before then it feels good but may subside quickly. On the other hand if you worked at someting for months, changed your program, and eventually managed to grind out a PR then that may come with more satisfaction.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 235 lbs | Front Squat: 510 lbs | Overhead: 375 lbs | Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Andre518 View Post
    Does anyone else go through this?
    Of course. That's why were powerlifters, lol. I was the same way after I benched over 400. It was a goal that I'd been trying to get to for months, and it felt great getting there, especially at a meet, but I almost immediately started thinking about getting to 500. Personally, I think it's a good thing.

its because were powerlifters. thats how we are. we hit our goal, and keep wanting more. thats what sets us apart from the r est
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

"If you're not growing, you're dying." -Tony Robbins

I just hit an all-time 'unattainable' bench PR. For a long-armed non-bencher who is supposed to be exclusively olympic weightlifting, four wheels was god damn epic.

But then again... after years ov trying... it was just so easy... So i went and trained to pause it, then did that... then did 415. And again... it was so easy... Now i wanna bench 440.

I was SUPPOSED to give up benching completely after hitting 405. That was my plan. No more benching. Just olympic weightlifting. No benching.

I promise... i'll stop after i bench 440...