The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: getting bigger

Wannabebig Member

getting bigger

<<There is a bodyweight at which a person will function optimally for a particular sport (typically dictated by height).>>

The '70's Big page somebody else posted says this. I have been consciously gaining weight, and I am wondering how much weight y'all think would be optimal for a guy that's five foot six. I am getting a small gut, not a Garry Frank one but one just the same, due to gaining about three pounds a week.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I'd say if you're able to gain 3 freaking pounds per week (assuming its not 100% fat or water) you are nowhere near your ideal weight for powerlifting.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Wannabebig Member
    You may be correct about my having not yet reached my ideal weight, and this, of course, is why I am interested in knowing what weight range might work best for somebody my height. I am very lean and am happily progressing with the help of my simple supplementation.

no clue, I'm 5'8" and I see guys do great in the 181 lb class as well as 242 and 275+ Which is hard to imagine being that big as I have always been small, 217 now. You could just do what I am doing and keep adding the weight, and if you decide you would be better off lighter work on losing the gut.

I'd say 198 minimum and probably 220-242.
    www.wildirongym.com
    Become a fan of Wild Iron on Facebook:
    http://tinyurl.com/WildIron

Pro Strongman | Moderator Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stik View Post
    <<There is a bodyweight at which a person will function optimally for a particular sport (typically dictated by height).>>

The '70's Big page somebody else posted says this. I have been consciously gaining weight, and I am wondering how much weight y'all think would be optimal for a guy that's five foot six. I am getting a small gut, not a Garry Frank one but one just the same, due to gaining about three pounds a week.
    It would depend on your bone structure but for someoen who is 5'6 I would say that at 165-175 lbs you would be considered above average, and then anything 190 lbs and up would be considered "big" assuming that you are relatively lean.

Some world class powerlifters who are 5'6 compete anywhere from 220-242 lbs usually.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 235 lbs | Front Squat: 510 lbs | Overhead: 375 lbs | Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Wannabebig Member
    Will continue to gain weight in that case. Have been eating high-calorie stuff, eating hard and training intensely and consistently.

Pro Strongman | Moderator Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stik View Post
    Will continue to gain weight in that case. Have been eating high-calorie stuff, eating hard and training intensely and consistently.
    You have to find a balance between quantity and quality. Simply gaining weight does not mean that you will be stronger or look better, that is a common misconception.

If you are on a high intensity training program then you should be fine, but use a barbell to track your progress and not a scale.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 235 lbs | Front Squat: 510 lbs | Overhead: 375 lbs | Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

I agree with Tom, don't try and do it in a week. I was 180 when I first started powerlifting (19) and just slowly went up from there to where I've been as high as 272lbs and currently I'm 258lbs.

The biggest thing is not cutting weight for meets. Guys get so focused on being competitive at their weight class that they spend too much time shifting from cutting to bulking. If you're trying to put on size, don't cut for meets. Just weigh in and go from there.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    I agree with Tom, don't try and do it in a week. I was 180 when I first started powerlifting (19) and just slowly went up from there to where I've been as high as 272lbs and currently I'm 258lbs.

The biggest thing is not cutting weight for meets. Guys get so focused on being competitive at their weight class that they spend too much time shifting from cutting to bulking. If you're trying to put on size, don't cut for meets. Just weigh in and go from there.
    After PSMFing, dropping fluids, fighting cravings - This man speaks volumes of truth.

I don't think I'll be competitive until I'm 350lbs...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Risk10k View Post
    I don't think I'll be competitive until I'm 350lbs...
    400 for me.

Banned
    Mass moves Mass, but at some point you may bottom out. For instance, you may have to gain another 20lbs to hit big numbers. But eventually your strength will cease and youll have to look at your training,technique,or sometimes mental approach to keep it progressing. How much weight you have to gain will be determined only by your goals and how much your willing to carry appearance or health wise.

Wannabebig Member

thanks y'all.

Thanks for mentioning. I will continue to eat like a pig and so on until I get uncomfortable health-wise. High cholesterol and blood pressure runs in my family on both sides, so I might want to slow down at some point. Good to know that some of you have gained so much. I have gained 18 pounds since the first of this year without always trying at all. Powerlifting has made a huge difference with regard to size and strength and self-confidence. To me, that makes it all worth it.

I had bet my wife 10 bucks that I'd hit 140 by Christmas, and I'm going to more than do it too. , goals are good.

Banned
    You have the right attitude! Cheers!

"People go to the zoo to see the elephants, not the mice".. Matt Rhodes
    Last edited by Polish Hammer; 10-09-2009 at 05:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    I totally agree with this. Lift at the weight you are the strongest. That usually means the heaviest. If you are training in one weight class and then cut to the lower class, you'll lose some strength. Didn't someone once say, "Any man under 200 lbs is a woman."LOL
    Can't wait 'til tomorrow, 'cause I get stronger every day!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryano View Post
    Didn't someone once say, "Any man under 200 lbs is a woman."LOL
    I miss that man. Lets get a petition going to bring him back.

Death to the World!
    I am also 5'6" and when I started lifting weights I was 155lbs. I went up to 190 eating a very clean diet in roughly a year. And my body fat percentage did not jump much at all. I was able to maintain a fairly flat stomach without too much fat. I found that when I stalled weight wise it was due to doing the same workout for too long. I also had to accept the dirty diet, which is one of the greatest things that powerlifting offers you. I currently weigh 215. It took me a year and a half to put on 60lbs. That breaks down to 3lbs per month on average. The important thing is to just keep at it. And like someone else already said. If your weight is bringing in bigger numbers then your on the right track. If your not lifting more, but weighing more, then something other than your mass needs to change.
    SOLI DEO GLORIA!

5'6" 195#
    Raw maxes:
    BP 280ish
    SQ 400ish
    DL 495ish