Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big Front Delts, Small Rear Delts...

Big Front Delts, Small Rear Delts...

I have a little problem. I have really big front deltoids, but really small rear deltoids.

Right now, I'm doing barbell shoulder presses. I was wondering if I should stop doing them and maybe just do a different shoulder exercise? One that maybe works less the front delts and more the middle or rear delts? I have been doing rear delt extension things on the chest fly machine every time I go to the gym, so maybe it will just take time to even out? Also, I carry my shoulders forward alot...

I don't have a specific day for shoulders right now. I'm just trying to get bigger so I'm trying to keep my exercises mainly to compound ones. Here's what my workout looks like:

Monday
    - Barbell Rows
    - Machine Rows
    - Reverse Grip Lat Pulldown
    - Barbell Shrugs

Wednesday
    - Squats
    - Deadlifts
    - Dumbbell Lunges
    - Leg Curls

Friday
    - Dumbbell Press
    - Incline Bench Press
    - Flyes
    - Barbell Shoulder Press

So what should I do?

Getting un-streamlined Progress's Avatar
    Welcome to the human body. Try Bent-over lat raises and cable face pulls.

Quote Originally Posted by Progress View Post
    Welcome to the human body. Try Bent-over lat raises and cable face pulls.
    So, I should stop doing Barbell Shoulder Presses and start doing JUST rear deltoid work?

Also, face pulls look more like a back exercise than a rear deltoid exercise. But I guess it will help. Ok, I'll throw those two exercises in instead of Barbell Shoulder Presses for now and see what happens.
    Last edited by Pure Water; 10-07-2009 at 11:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pure Water View Post
    So, I should stop doing Barbell Shoulder Presses and start doing JUST rear deltoid work?

Also, face pulls look more like a back exercise than a rear deltoid exercise. But I guess it will help. Ok, I'll throw those two exercises in instead of Barbell Shoulder Presses for now and see what happens.
    No, continue to press at the beginning of your workout, just throw in posterior delt work. Do face pulls from an eye level cable position.

Something like this:

BB OH press or arnold press: 3-5x5
    Lateral Raises: 3x8
    Face pulls/BO lat raise: 3-4x8-10.

You can keep doing the presses, just do more rear delt work. Every time you go to the gym, do 4-5 sets of rear delts/upper back. Do reverse pec dec one day, the next workout day do rear laterals, and the next workout day do face pulls. It will take some time to get the muscle groups more "balanced", so just be patient.
    Also stretch your pecs and front delts every day. This, along with the rear delt/upper back work, will help correct the forward shoulder posture.
    Edit: Also make sure to arch your upper back hard on all your rowing movements and pause each rep with your shoulder blades pulled together. This will also help correct the forward shoulder posture.
    Last edited by Sean S; 10-07-2009 at 11:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean S View Post
    You can keep doing the presses, just do more rear delt work. Every time you go to the gym, do 4-5 sets of rear delts/upper back. Do reverse pec dec one day, the next workout day do rear laterals, and the next workout day do face pulls. It will take some time to get the muscle groups more "balanced", so just be patient.
    Also stretch your pecs and front delts every day. This, along with the rear delt/upper back work, will help correct the forward shoulder posture.
    Edit: Also make sure to arch your upper back hard on all your rowing movements and pause each rep with your shoulder blades pulled together. This will also help correct the forward shoulder posture.
    Ok thanks for the advice, also thanks Progress for your advice too.

Banned
    Alot of back work such as rowing and pulldowns will hit the rear delts. But like mentioned, face pulls are good,rear lateral raises off a bench or knees bent/standing. As long as your pressing you dont need a "shoulder day", but adding some specific rear delt work would probably bring up any weaknesses in the area.

Banned
    interesting....

I've been doing rear deltoid work (like I said in my first post) every day when I go to the gym. So I'll just take your guys advice and keep at 'em! Thanks.

If your training your rear delts every gym day that might be the problem. If they never have time to fully recover and grow how do you expect improvements? For most people heavy pulling is more than enough rear delt work. **** my shoulders didn't start growing till I decreased volume to one exercise a week for them. Just remember the culprit isn't always lack of direct training on said muscle.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!

Quote Originally Posted by Unholy View Post
    If your training your rear delts every gym day that might be the problem. If they never have time to fully recover and grow how do you expect improvements? For most people heavy pulling is more than enough rear delt work. **** my shoulders didn't start growing till I decreased volume to one exercise a week for them. Just remember the culprit isn't always lack of direct training on said muscle.
    I never feel soreness in any part of my shoulders, nor do I feel soreness in my back, from doing rear deltoid work or from my back workouts.

So I guess it's OK to be doing rear deltoid work 3 times a week, plus my normal back workout?

But I'll take your advice though, if my rear deltoids are not growing after a while, I'll decrease the number of times I work them out in a week.

Thanks.

Face pulls work!
    Buy a couple of jump stretch bands so you can do band pull-aparts and band face pulls, these are very good.
    Squat briefs only 625 @ 210
    Bench geared 525 @ 210
    Deadlift geared 650 @ 220

Captains of Crush #3

Building Mighty Mitts...

Quote Originally Posted by Unholy View Post
    **** my shoulders didn't start growing till I decreased volume to one exercise a week for them. Just remember the culprit isn't always lack of direct training on said muscle.
    Quoted for importance...small muscles like that need rest.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Iron Junkie
    Since rear delts are worked the most during a back session, training them with back and just focus on front and medial delts on shoulder day may help. Another suggestion is to perform reverse flyes or bent-over lateral raises before shoulder presses to pre-exhaust the rear delts.
    Weaves
    Iron Junkie - Go Hard Or Go Home

Alright then, I'll keep my rear deltoid training to back days only. Thanks guys.

Wannabebig Member
    Kroc Rows!

Quote Originally Posted by Murph1001 View Post
    Kroc Rows!
    What?

Wannabebig Member
    Dumbbell rows for high reps.
    2 x 20
    1 x 20+

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Murph1001 View Post
    Kroc Rows!
    Good suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by NickAus View Post
    Face pulls work!
    Buy a couple of jump stretch bands so you can do band pull-aparts and band face pulls, these are very good.
    how do you do these?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Banger View Post
    how do you do these?
    Google is your friend.

I was thinking about some things for making my shoulders look more normal.

What about direct work on my triceps since my triceps are right next to my rear delts? Also, I'm doing more work on my upper chest to try and build it up a little and fill in that area around my front delts.

One thing maybe I should let you guys know is that when I workout my chest, the next day or two, most of the pain that I feel from the workout is right in the corners of my chest, where my front delts are. I'm not sure why it's always in that specific part and not more in the middle of my chest... but it's always been like that. Although I'm pretty sure I already had my shoulders leaning forward before I ever started working out (at least I think I did... hard to remember because I never cared before).

Clean Bulk in Progress james_w8lifter's Avatar
    Bent over rows... Best workout for rear delts IMO. I do bent over laterals with DBs and cables to target them as well, once a week
    6' 1.... 211lbs.
    Bench: 275lbs x 1
    Deadlift: 385lbs x 1
    Squat: ??? (not enough)
    Goal by the end of May 2010... Weigh 225lbs.

Journal: The Obligation... Become a F***** Beast

Well, I've been working at what you guys have told me to do, and it seems to be getting a little better.

But could the problem also be, having a small chest? My chest is kind of small?

Quote Originally Posted by Pure Water View Post
    Well, I've been working at what you guys have told me to do, and it seems to be getting a little better.

But could the problem also be, having a small chest? My chest is kind of small?
    Please provide: height, weight, and big 3 1RMs.