Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Big Front Delts, Small Rear Delts...

Quote Originally Posted by Progress View Post
    Please provide: height, weight, and big 3 1RMs.
    I'm gonna have to go find those things out, so I'll write back as soon as I get them.

Getting un-streamlined Progress's Avatar
    Give us an idea of any general or specific goals you may have when you post back.

Cable rear delt row: http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...arDeltRow.html

Pretty much the only thing I've been doing for my rear delts for the past few months and I can notice a difference.
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

Just throw in a couple sets of bent over laterals once a a week. Continue to get stronger and you will see results

OK, I have found out everything! They are roughly:

Height and Body Weight

Height: 5' 10"
    Weight: 165 pounds

1 RM's

Squats: 245 pounds
    Bench Press: 155 pounds
    Deadlifts: 275 pounds

Goals

Looking to get bigger, hopefully having a body weight of at least 170 pounds by the end of February.
    Last edited by Pure Water; 01-26-2010 at 01:19 PM.

Please provide: height, weight, and big 3 1RMs.
    Umm, I got everything you asked for in the post above.

Quote Originally Posted by Pure Water View Post
    OK, I have found out everything! They are roughly:

Height and Body Weight

Height: 5' 10"
    Weight: 165 pounds

1 RM's

Squats: 245 pounds
    Bench Press: 155 pounds
    Deadlifts: 275 pounds

Goals

Looking to get bigger, hopefully having a body weight of at least 170 pounds by the end of February.
    Almost all your answers about size and strength will be solved by getting bigger. 5'10" and 165 is simply too small to complain about lagging body parts. I'm 5'10" and around 178 and I know I need to gain roughly 15-20 lbs before I can be really concerned with specific muscle groups.

Eat more.

Almost all your answers about size and strength will be solved by getting bigger. 5'10" and 165 is simply too small to complain about lagging body parts. I'm 5'10" and around 178 and I know I need to gain roughly 15-20 lbs before I can be really concerned with specific muscle groups.

Eat more.
    Ya, I really do need to eat more.

So then I shouldn't worry about having kind of too big front delts, I guess I just need to walk and sit with a good posture and do equal work to all body parts, until I gain a lot more muscle mass... ?

Ya, I really do need to eat more.

So then I shouldn't worry about having kind of too big front delts, I guess I just need to walk and sit with a good posture and do equal work to all body parts, until I gain a lot more muscle mass... ?
    Exactly.

Exactly.
    Ok, thanks for your help, and everyone elses.

Wannabebig New Member
    Deads, any rows, and weighted chin-ups. Worked for me, good luck.

Wannabebig New Member
    Pure water, i tried to respond to your pm.but since i only have 2 posts.it wouldn't let me. But, to answer your question. Yes, that's all i did.

Quote Originally Posted by Clinker View Post
    Pure water, i tried to respond to your pm.but since i only have 2 posts.it wouldn't let me. But, to answer your question. Yes, that's all i did.
    Cool, I'll try it out.

You probably sit at a desk or computer at home a lot. To correct the shoulders being forward you need to stretch the chest often, and at the same time need to be strengthening your shoulder blades so they will gradually pull your shoulders back in place. Sitting at a computer a lot pulls the shoulders forward while the chest muscle continues to tighten up which continues to pull the shoulders forward. At the same time, the shoulder blades are continuing to STRETCH and getting loose and weak.

It's the same thing with your hips. Sitting too much without proper posture causes the lower back muscles to bow downward, forcing the hip bones back. At the same time, the quads and hips are getting very tight while the lower back continues to get loose and weak. To get the hips tilting forward as they should, one would need to sit straight up with shoulders back as much as possible. It takes some time, but you can get up to 6 hours or more a day sitting correctly. The first few days are TERRIBLE. You'll also need a foam wedge or other posture device to keep pressure on the hips going the right direction. At the same time, you need the quads and hips to be stretched and ever-loosening to allow the hips to come forward.

Not saying you have lower back posture problems as well, but I'm betting you probably do. I've been working on this for over a year. It takes a long time to fix, but it took a long time to screw up too. In my case, it was 10 years and couting flying a desk all day.

Every time I lift, I make sure to stretch my chest and shoulders extensively. I also do a fair amount of static holds with a dumbbell in the bent over row position. That's how I was taught to strengthen the shoulder blades (in physical therapy). I'm also doing shrugs in every workout to get some more strength from the traps.

Hope that helps. I have the same HUGE front delts, and they really interfere with some of my lifts. I'm avoiding working them as much as possible for now.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Quote Originally Posted by mrelwooddowd View Post
    You probably sit at a desk or computer at home a lot. To correct the shoulders being forward you need to stretch the chest often, and at the same time need to be strengthening your shoulder blades so they will gradually pull your shoulders back in place. Sitting at a computer a lot pulls the shoulders forward while the chest muscle continues to tighten up which continues to pull the shoulders forward. At the same time, the shoulder blades are continuing to STRETCH and getting loose and weak.

It's the same thing with your hips. Sitting too much without proper posture causes the lower back muscles to bow downward, forcing the hip bones back. At the same time, the quads and hips are getting very tight while the lower back continues to get loose and weak. To get the hips tilting forward as they should, one would need to sit straight up with shoulders back as much as possible. It takes some time, but you can get up to 6 hours or more a day sitting correctly. The first few days are TERRIBLE. You'll also need a foam wedge or other posture device to keep pressure on the hips going the right direction. At the same time, you need the quads and hips to be stretched and ever-loosening to allow the hips to come forward.

Not saying you have lower back posture problems as well, but I'm betting you probably do. I've been working on this for over a year. It takes a long time to fix, but it took a long time to screw up too. In my case, it was 10 years and couting flying a desk all day.

Every time I lift, I make sure to stretch my chest and shoulders extensively. I also do a fair amount of static holds with a dumbbell in the bent over row position. That's how I was taught to strengthen the shoulder blades (in physical therapy). I'm also doing shrugs in every workout to get some more strength from the traps.

Hope that helps. I have the same HUGE front delts, and they really interfere with some of my lifts. I'm avoiding working them as much as possible for now.
    Thanks for the info.

So, I should stop doing Barbell Shoulder Presses and start doing JUST rear deltoid work?
    No, just prioritize it more. You could do maintenance work.

Also, face pulls look more like a back exercise than a rear deltoid exercise. But I guess it will help.
    It does do that, but our shoulders do help to connect our humeri to our scapulae so that's how they get worked.

I doubt it's the best way to emphasize them, probably the ones with worse leverage do that better, but strong scapular retractors make a great base for doing rear delt training so it doesn't hurt to beef them up with some exercises that hit them harder.

No, continue to press at the beginning of your workout, just throw in posterior delt work. Do face pulls from an eye level cable position.

Something like this:

BB OH press or arnold press: 3-5x5
    Lateral Raises: 3x8
    Face pulls/BO lat raise: 3-4x8-10.
    I am wondering, why do continue doing them first if they are overly strong by comparison to the rear delt work? Is it something like, by exhausting the front delts, they won't be able to activate and interfere with post delt due to reciprocol inhibition? Sort of like working triceps before working biceps so that the biceps work unopposed?

I was thinking about some things for making my shoulders look more normal. What about direct work on my triceps since my triceps are right next to my rear delts?
    If the hands are maintained wider apart than your elbows during transverse extension flies, that is some additional triceps work.

Besides flies, you can also practise hyperextending the shoulders, the posterior delt does more of this since the lats are overactively insufficient, and actually I think the lats turn into shoulder flexors or something weird like that when you bring the arms behind the body. The post delt and long head of triceps can continue to hyperextend since they pull up to a higher anchor (scapulae) rather than to the spine which is so low.

You can hold the elbow back isometrically for something like triceps kickbacks, or simply do straight-elbow hyperextensions in which case the tricep is working isometrically at the elbow joint and the rear delts are in motion. Though technically only 2 heads of the tricep are isometric, the long head is still shortening since it pulling the ulna (and the humerus with it) towards its scapular attachment.