The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

ANYONE ever heard of this style????

A pretty good sized dude at my gym does this thing called ..SHOCK BLASTER TRAINING..It sounds made up to me...anyway..He said you train a body part heavy 3 days in a row..1 heavy ..1 light..1 heavy..then you take off completely for 3 days..it supposed to shock the hell out of the muscle...he said it was great for arms..any one believe this would work...Im kinda of skeptical about it....the theory is the muscle is SOOOO shocked from 3 days straight training..it will grow rapidly over the next few weeks ..but you have to double your protein and lay around for 3 days straight..do u think this would work..he said you do 3 times a year.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I've never heard of it but by the discription it sounds like a awful routine.
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

unless you had incredible recovery genetics, you'd kill yourself.
    I know i'd overtrain reeeal quick.
    "Let's hope the ship has a captain, in other words, since we're not taking part in what's going on."
    -Noam Chomsky
    "It's like putting pearls on swine. You can dress up a pig... but it's still a pig... isn't it? oink oink oink..oink oink"
    -Henry Rollins
    Push the envelope... watch it bend..
    -Tool
    "In the valley of the shadow of death... I fear no one, because i am the baddest mother****er in the valley!"

It must be good if it has the word 'shock' in it.

it's the Weider routine naming principle.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Originally posted by Paul Stagg
    It must be good if it has the word 'shock' in it.

it's the Weider routine naming principle.

ND
    "damn...can't beat logic like that.
    NAte is exactly right." - Tryska

I have heard of controlled overtraining which is similar but I think most people would be done with this after trying it once.

I've heard of routines such as this before but the recovery time varied greatly. It was usually upwards of 7 days. During those 7 days you do no training whatsoever. I've read studies where taking signifigant amounts of time off can dramatically increase strength gains in the long run. I believe it had to do with the conversion of slow twich and fast twich fibers. Apparently, over time, high rep training converts fast twich fibers into slow twich fibers. If you take a couple months off, the muscles can covert back to very high percentages of fast twich fibers without signifigant muscle loss.

100% Pent Up Anger
    If some huge guy said he got that big by taking Anabolic Gorilla Urine Extract, unfortunately there's a lot of people who would drink the sh** up. Arthur Jones discussed this before and said something to the effect that some of these big oafs get big IN SPITE of what they do, not because of it. You can do 'planned overtraining' but why not just coax the body into growing gradually. Growth in not linear and the rate at which muscle growth can occur per unit of time is relatively fixed genetically. Most shock routines over stress the nervous system. The muscles can handle WAY more than the nervous system will allow. That's what keeps us from ripping a muscle off the tendon when doing exercises to failure (for those of you that regularly go to failure in particular). I think Lee Haney (who was certainly not the originator or the phrase)said it best, "Stimulate, don't annihilate."
    "You see clouds to the West, immediately you say, 'It is going to rain.' and it does. And when the South wind blows, you say, 'It is going to be hot.' Hypocrites! You know how to interpret the appearance of the earth and the sky. How is it that you don't know how to interpret this present time? Why don't you decide for yourselves what is right?" ~ Jesus speaking in Luke 12:54-57

i have seen people train this way 1 week on and 7 off - some pretty big dudes in this case.

Re: ANYONE ever heard of this style????

Originally posted by Wolfgar73
    He said you train a body part heavy 3 days in a row..1 heavy ..1 light..1 heavy..then you take off completely for 3 days..it supposed to shock the hell out of the muscle
    Come on, think about that. You're tearing the muscle everyday, you really think that's gonna make it grow faster? That's a BS routine, and sounds like something that dude got from Flex or some other BS magazine. And double your protein? That, believe it or not, is the WORST of what he said. So I'd need to eat 600 grams of protein? Bye bye internal organs.

Here's a shock routine you can give HIM from the guys at WBB.com:

1. Do Shock Blaster routine
    2. Grab 5 lb. sledge hammer
    3. Beat self about the head, neck, and chest
    4. If still standing, apologize for feeding BS to other gym members
    5. Continue beating self about the head, neck, and chest

that's not effective... the reason you're sore after a good w/o is cause your cells are splitting, and growing. if you split newly split cells, you're cheating them and will get no where. work the body part HARD 1 day a week, 2 at most but as far apart as possible.