The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sure signs of being a gym weenie?

Make individual contributions to my weeniedom post. I want to make a huge list containing the ultimate weenie.
    1)Do-rags or stocking caps
    2) Spandex
    3) gloves
    3) grunting (loudly) so everyone knows you're working hard
    4) Preacher Curling like there’s no tomorrow,
    5) can't tell you what a hack squat was but could definitely tell you about the benefits of “forced reps” on the bench press
    6)wearing the same kind of shoes Craig Titus wears
    7) doing the same arm workout as Ronnie Coleman
    8) "Man, I love the leg press machine"
    9) "I don’t put my feet on the floor when I bench press, because it makes me look bad"
    10) "dang where are all the women tonight"
    11) SUPER PET PEEVE: "I don’t want to get huge, I just want to tone"
    12) "My legs get enough work on the treadmill"
    13) "Man, did you see the strongman competition on TV those guys are fat"
    14) "I like my hair cut short because it makes me look bigger"
    "Let's hope the ship has a captain, in other words, since we're not taking part in what's going on."
    -Noam Chomsky
    "It's like putting pearls on swine. You can dress up a pig... but it's still a pig... isn't it? oink oink oink..oink oink"
    -Henry Rollins
    Push the envelope... watch it bend..
    -Tool
    "In the valley of the shadow of death... I fear no one, because i am the baddest mother****er in the valley!"

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Come on, you're forgetting the most important thing, the fanny pack. At my gym, we actually have a guy that's so hardcore that he's upgraded to a purse. He's an IFBB pro, so I don't ask for any explainations.
    "As far as drugs were concerned, all my bodybuilding heroes were on everything but roller skates."

In Memphis, it is illegal for a woman to drive by herself, unless a man is walking or running infront of the vehicle, waving a red flag in order to warn approaching pedestrians and motorists.

Hey! I really DO love the leg press machine!
    teh ownz joo all 4 free! if joo don't like it, you is teh GHEY!
    -Voodazz

8) Gloves

You mean you guys don't wear gloves?

I have to or the skin off of my fingers would rip off during those deadlifts.

Funny list though. I liked that "I don't want to be big but just toned." That's a very common one.

Another one I hear are ladies worried that lifting weights (even a 5 lb dumbell) will make them bulky like Chyna or something. SO all they do at the gym is stay on the treadmill for 7 hours.

Dream on girls, it's 10 times harder for a lady to get bulk like that than a man, with the low testosterone levels in their bodies.
    Last edited by Zeus100; 04-24-2002 at 10:17 PM.

3) grunting (loudly) so everyone knows you're working hard

I dont know if I do this but I do get REALLY pissed off sometimes during my sets. Ill yell out sh*t like "F*CKKKK!!!!" as loud as I can. Get really really pissed off, big time. Dont know why its just a habit now.

MS

Definitely dont wear gloves...

MS

Noisy people lifting baby weights. Sometimes the weight to noise ratio just doesn't reflect one another, and it can be flat out unnecessary.
    "As far as drugs were concerned, all my bodybuilding heroes were on everything but roller skates."

In Memphis, it is illegal for a woman to drive by herself, unless a man is walking or running infront of the vehicle, waving a red flag in order to warn approaching pedestrians and motorists.

I cant really help it - and I am rarely lifting baby weights. So I dont know maybe Ill try and stop.

MS

I make noise, though sometimes I'm alone and it's not for show, but it seems to help me lift better. I don't go too loud, but exhale forcefully and it seems to let me blow off some steam.

I was doing bent-over rows at home one night and I was trying to be as quiet to not rattle the whole house. But I couldn't lift as much. Frustrated, I just said "screw it", and I went all-out, grunting and grimacing. And I was able to clear the weight much more easily that way. Of course, my parents complained about the noise, but oh well.

Eh, I don't need to wear gloves. I play the drums a great deal, and they give me big calluses on my hands. Man, i've got a set of ugly manly hands on me. grr.
    "Let's hope the ship has a captain, in other words, since we're not taking part in what's going on."
    -Noam Chomsky
    "It's like putting pearls on swine. You can dress up a pig... but it's still a pig... isn't it? oink oink oink..oink oink"
    -Henry Rollins
    Push the envelope... watch it bend..
    -Tool
    "In the valley of the shadow of death... I fear no one, because i am the baddest mother****er in the valley!"

Wannabebig Member
    lol Chomsky is such a meathead...get over yourself dude

and for the record i wear gloves and do leg presses

PR blaster!
    I may be thin but at least I'm not a fag that wears gloves for my pretty hands for curls.
    "****, if you told teenagers it was trendy to wear a paper bag on their heads with holes for the eyes they'd all be doing it."

the kid from oz
    i dont wear gloves but i use foam instead otherwise i get big calluses and they hurt and plus my girlfriend hates them

If i didnt wear gloves..my wife would never let me feel her up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    A strong mind needs a strong body to back it up!!!!!!

Equal Opportunity Offender Budiak's Avatar
    Good enough reason for me.

Wannabebig Member
    Guys that use lifting straps for 1 plate a side on deads.

Guys that say "i don't need to dead lift, and besides it would hurt my back" yet they have never done them and they proceed to do a zillion sets of bicep curls, swinging like a chimpanzee using their back to do everything

guys that are the size of a bamboo cain who come in and do 1 set on bench then stand there for 30 mins posing in the mirror.

p.s. i don't wear gloves, like leg press but only after squats, and ******* hate cunts that say there legs get enough work on the treadmill.
    Last edited by Getdownonit; 04-25-2002 at 05:44 AM.
    I want to squat a car

Equal Opportunity Offender Budiak's Avatar
    If you Dont fill out the spandex pants.

If your bandana or ehadband is dry at the end of your workout.

If you ask for a spot on a set of 18 reps.

ppl who ask for a spot that dont need one, just like having someone there in case they slip into a coma while benching.

I wear gloves.

ppl who think the butterfly machine is the best thing going - but only do 30 lbs, and only like it because of the stretch on the way back down (hyper extension of delts)

I fit most of those definitions, guess I'm a gym newbie.
    Stats
    5'10,185-190lbs, 12-16%bf

1. Guys who don't know where the squat rack is.

2. Gloves ... my god, gloves. Can't stand them.

3. People who superset kickbacks with concentration curls ... or for that matter, anyone who actually DOES kickbacks and concentration curls.

4. Guys who MUST wear sweatpants to deadlift because they're afraid to scrape their shins. Boo hoo, get the f*ck out of my way.

So many more, but not nearly enough time.

I always like to see when mainly certain guys come in with the big BIG gym bags like they are moving in. I usually just bring myself and my car keys for the most part and a towel if I don't wear my hooded sweatshirt. I don't wear gloves like before but you need something like wraps or gloves for really heavy stuff.

Here is one thing I see from time to time. Where I workout there are big windows. It is impossible not to look out between sets. There were a couple of times I'd see people drive in the lot just to leave if they don't see certain people there. I get a kick out of that one.

There's this small guy at my guy that grunts like a mofo on every rep (I mean loud too, everyone in the gym can hear him) and then he'll pace around after he finishes a set to cool down/psych up for the next set? Totally obnoxious, especially when he acts as if I'm in his way when I'm trying to rerack some heavy dumbells or something.
    Obstacles are what you see when you take your mind off the goal.
    -Unknown

Energy and persistence conquer all things.
    -Benjamin Franklin

How about just doin your own thing and not worrying about what other people do/ look like. *shrug* I dunno, works for me, and whatever works for you. I'm personally way to concentrated on my own gains to find time to criticize others who may not be blessed enough to visit this forum.

And before I get flamed, I do not do nor wear any of the aformentioned subject matter.

Simplistic
    People who have to drop/throw dumbells after their sets, and the absolute worst- people who wear lifting belts when they are bench pressng.

Simplistic
    Originally posted by Mark V
    How about just doin your own thing and not worrying about what other people do/ look like. *shrug* I dunno, works for me, and whatever works for you. I'm personally way to concentrated on my own gains to find time to criticize others who may not be blessed enough to visit this forum.

And before I get flamed, I do not do nor wear any of the aformentioned subject matter.
    Some of the stuff people do can be very distracting. And people who curl inside the power rack when I want to squat also screw up my workout.