Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: intermittent fasting..

Quote Originally Posted by borracho View Post
    So are there any tricks to getting through the first week of fasting? Coffee? Flavored water?
    Tapering down is really the best way to go. Slowly start to concentrate your intake and drink plenty of water. Decide what your feed window is going to be and cut down by an hour or so every day until you reach where you want to be. I also found that a bunch of home brewed green tea helped quite a bit. I'd go through about half a gallon per day.

As for your question about the better method, I've had good luck with thinking about it in 24 hour periods as opposed to 48 hour periods like Jake is. I'll usually concentrate my intake between 6p-9p (sometimes 10p) but I've been doing it long enough that altering the schedule doesn't leave me feeling like hell. It's also easy to take a day off for a special event or something and then jump back into it.

You really won't know what'll work better until you try it. Both have their benefits and both work well, as long as you do them right.

On Nov 1, I'm going to start an IF-PSMF using the 3 hour window and run it to Thanksgiving just because I don't hate my life quite enough as it is.
    If one person can do something, anyone can learn to do it.
    Do what you've always done and get what you've always gotten.
    There is no failure, only feedback.

"Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step".--Lao Tzu

Pro-Choice...ON EVERYTHING.

IF-PSMF is WAY easier than straight up PSMF, IMO..

lol, lots of acronyms there.. I did that last year with good results, except for the massive drop in bench strength..

I agree.. ease into it. When I experimented with IF last year I started out with 14 hrs, then 16 hrs, then 18hrs then 20 then 22.. you get used to it and it's really simple. Trying to jump right into 20 hours though would be hell..
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

Quote Originally Posted by VikingWarlord View Post

On Nov 1, I'm going to start an IF-PSMF using the 3 hour window and run it to Thanksgiving just because I don't hate my life quite enough as it is.
    Awesome.

Thanks for the info fellers...I greatly appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleJake View Post
    Trying to jump right into 20 hours though would be hell..
    Yea..I didnt see myself being successful with it if that were the case..easing in to it will be the key for me I think. Were you able to gain strength doing this last year or was it more maintenance?

Quote Originally Posted by LittleJake View Post
    IF-PSMF is WAY easier than straight up PSMF, IMO..
    That's the main reason I decided to do it like that. It seems like it'd suck less. It still sucks, but just sucks less.
    If one person can do something, anyone can learn to do it.
    Do what you've always done and get what you've always gotten.
    There is no failure, only feedback.

"Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step".--Lao Tzu

Pro-Choice...ON EVERYTHING.

Quote Originally Posted by borracho View Post
    Yea..I didnt see myself being successful with it if that were the case..easing in to it will be the key for me I think. Were you able to gain strength doing this last year or was it more maintenance?
    No, I lost a bunch of strenght, however, I was doing IF-PSMF with 22hrs fasting and 2hrs eating. I maintained all of my size, however, strength plummetted pretty bad. Not because of IF, but because of 1400-1600cals/day for weeks on end. I just wanted to drop bodyfat fast and wasn't too worried about strength. I got down to 225 at around 11% bodyfat before finally calling it quits.

Quote Originally Posted by VikingWarlord View Post
    That's the main reason I decided to do it like that. It seems like it'd suck less. It still sucks, but just sucks less.
    agree. PSMF will suck regardless.. however, cramming 1600cals into 2 hours will make it suck alot less.. lol
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

riprogrammazione
    I've done RFL or PSMF numerous times, and also 3 cycles on UD2 in the past, so I know that I have no problems restricting calories. I haven't been very serious about lifting in over 3 years. Let's say I've been bordering on alcoholism for some time. IF seems quite interesting to me as the fasting part of it fits in nicely with a period of purifying clarification. Mental and physiological. The structure of this diet appeals to me in an almost spiritual way. I've somewhat retained a good bit of my former strength through my sporadic visits to the gym. My question is, if I set it up for 3x a week full body, lets say tue, thu, and sat, would it be more beneficial to do a 48hr cycle as per Jake's suggestion, or a 20/4. The question may seem redundant. Fat loss is a priority. I'd assume that I'm near 15-18% or so just by experience and knowing my body. I'd also like some input on caloric levels that I should be running on the refeeds in both a 24 hour and a 48 hour structure. Perhaps a formula based on LBM? There doesn't seem to be much out there on these diets. I also have a pair of Accumeasure plastic calipers, but I seem to have lost the chart. If anyone can provide me with a copy, or at least help me to read the damn things, It would be much appreciated.

Christian, I checked out your journal. Pretty interesting. It seems to be going well. Keep it up. Once I get set up, I think keeping a journal here may help with adherence.

riprogrammazione
    My current goal is not to get big, but to change my lifestyle and recomp my physique. I decided to go with a more standard 20/4 with my workout occuring within the window tue/thu/sat. I need help setting up macros.

I'm 6'1", 198lbs with 18%bf. A mere shadow of my former self. That gives me a LBM of around 162.

What caloric level should I be running during the window, and how should I break it up macro-wise.

The only supplements I'm interested in are fish oil caps, multi, and some protein powder shakes with dextrose.
    Last edited by Bravo; 10-14-2009 at 12:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo View Post
    My current goal is not to get big, but to change my lifestyle and recomp my physique. I decided to go with a more standard 20/4 with my workout occuring within the window tue/thu/sat. I need help setting up macros.

I'm 6'1", 198lbs with 18%bf. A mere shadow of my former self. That gives me a LBM of around 162.

What caloric level should I be running during the window, and how should I break it up macro-wise.

The only supplements I'm interested in are fish oil caps, multi, and some protein powder shakes with dextrose.
    That's a good decision. I was going to suggest a 20/4 since you are interested primarily in fatloss. I'm going the 48hr route so that I can attempt to reap the benefits of post-workout nutrition and protein synthesis while in an overall weekly deficit.

As far as your caloric level, that's very difficult to figure out. Maybe try starting with 2500cals/day. Take your LBM and multiply times 1.5 = approx 250g protein. 1/2g per lb LBM of fat = approx 85g fat. The rest would be carbs at approx 185g.

I only use supplement with fish oil, protein, creatine, multi and dextrose/malto pre&post workout.

I suggest 50-75g carbs pre and post workout, leaving you with about 15-85g carbs left over for your eating period. I did what you are referring to last year with great results and even kept LBM, however, strength dropped quite a bit. I refuse to sacrifice strength at this time so that's why I'm doing a 48 hour protocol with higher cals for my recovery.

If you find yourself dropping too quickly, add some calories. If you find you aren't dropping at all, drop cals.
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

riprogrammazione
    Sounds pretty straight forward. I appreciate your help. Looking over the kcal and macro amounts I may go for a 21/3 as the pre and PWO shakes together will amount to nearly 900kcal, 2500 kcal in 3 hours sounds pretty satisfying, and the fasting period begins sooner.

So, to recap, I drink preWO shake at 6pm, workout, drink a PWO shake afterwards, proceed to consume the rest of my calories/fish oil/multi until 9pm. Rinse and repeat.

Are non-caloric beverages allowed during the fasting phase? Green tea, coffee, diet sodas... I'm assuming so. What types of carbs should be preferred on rest days?
    Last edited by Bravo; 10-14-2009 at 03:42 AM.