Thread: Blood work results - Diet Questions

Blood work results - Diet Questions

I had some routine bloodwork done during a physical, and I got my results back today.

Total Cholesterol: 152mg/dl
    LDL Cholesterol: 100mg/dl
    HDL Cholesterol: 45mg/dl
    Triglycerides: 36mg/dl

Glucose: 103mg/dl

It looks like my cholesterols and triglycerides are within a normal range, but my fasting glucose was a few points elevated. My doctor didn't seem too concerned, and just recommended I clean up my diet and incorporate cardio into my routine.

I need some advice on what types of dietary modifications I can make and supplementation I can add to possibly nip this in the bud. I'm using about 6g or Fish Oil daily, my lean protein intake is high, and I try and keep carbs and saturated fats to a minimum. I don't drink regular pop, juices or eat any high glycemic sweets.
    My Training Log

You want science and studies? **** you. I've got scars and blood and vomit. - Jim Wendler

Quote Originally Posted by Pete22 View Post
    I had some routine bloodwork done during a physical, and I got my results back today.

Total Cholesterol: 152mg/dl
    LDL Cholesterol: 100mg/dl
    HDL Cholesterol: 45mg/dl
    Triglycerides: 36mg/dl

Glucose: 103mg/dl

It looks like my cholesterols and triglycerides are within a normal range, but my fasting glucose was a few points elevated. My doctor didn't seem too concerned, and just recommended I clean up my diet and incorporate cardio into my routine.

I need some advice on what types of dietary modifications I can make and supplementation I can add to possibly nip this in the bud. I'm using about 6g or Fish Oil daily, my lean protein intake is high, and I try and keep carbs and saturated fats to a minimum. I don't drink regular pop, juices or eat any high glycemic sweets.
    Dont worry about how much carbohydrate or saturated fat youre eating, only worry about where its coming from. ie: The carbs in a Snickers bar would be worse for you than the carbs in an acorn squash. If your crabs are coming from fruits and vegetables as they should be, youll be fine, because youll be getting tons of fiber and vitamins along with them. Same idea applies to fats. Tons of sat fat in coconut, but its great for you and has many health benefits. If your sat fat is coming from lets say Beef, then try to eat only grass fed beef, not grain fed. Grass fed beef contains much higher amounts of Omega 3 fat due to the cow eating its natural diet.

Two books i hihgly recommend to anyone who has questions on what they should be eating:

The Paleo Diet
    and
    In Defense of Food

If you really want to know what you should and shouldnt be eating, read these two books.
    "Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment."
    -Benjamin Franklin

Current Stats:
    07-31-09 - 6'4" 220 lb.

Thanks for the input, I've pretty much eliminated most bad fats and refined carbs from my diet this past year.

I re-tested my fasting glucose the last two mornings and I got readings of 88 & 91, which are well within the normal range. After doing some research, it looks like the top supplements that can help improve insulin sensitivity (which would be beneficial for all of us) are: Alpha Lipoic Acid, Chromium Picolinate, Cinnamon, and Fish Oil.
    My Training Log

You want science and studies? **** you. I've got scars and blood and vomit. - Jim Wendler