The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Winter Bulk is under way (with the help of Shelby Starnes)

So for a 30th birthday present to myself I hired Shelby Starnes to help me with a 12 week bulk diet. If you don't know Shelby, he is a top 3 guy NPC guy in the welter's. His conditioning is sick and a strong dude too. Knowing that he is a carb cycling guy I thought he and I would be a good fit, and so far he hasn't disappointed. Real responsive guy and we are making some good progress.

Here's a few photos from before 5 weeks ago and some current photos. Current weight is 183. Started at 179. Going up about a pound a week. After a couple weeks of weight stalling we have things going up again. Filling out a bit more week by week. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens over the next 2 months. I obviously still have a long way to go. In the longer term I would like to be around 200 at the same bodyfat. I'll update in another month about hopefully about 5 lbs or so heavier.

My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Only happy when bulking radioheadhead's Avatar
    cool man, hope it keeps working for you! great base to build on. how tall are you?
    Height: 6' weight:197
    BF%: ~12%?

bench: 280 x 1
    squat: 370 x 1
    dead: 360 x 1

goal: 225 @ < 10% bodyfat

Looking real solid. The progress is very visible man! You actually look leaner in the 183 shots.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!

Quote Originally Posted by Unholy View Post
    Looking real solid. The progress is very visible man! You actually look leaner in the 183 shots.
    Agreed. Looking great Connor. Your shoulders look fantastic!

Awesome Conor, definitely staying lean while you're putting on the size. What more could you ask for, right?

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig![/font][/size]

Radiohead: About 5'11". I had a good base for a long time, but never done anything with it!

Paul: Thanks man. Lean bulk is the plan.

Mik: Thanks man! Wish some more of the old crew would make more appearances!

Jay: Shelby is a smart man. Knows what he is doing.
    My Journal

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

You look great Connor, back width is nasty. Hamstrings could do with a few extra lbs.

You look bigger and leaner. Shelby knows his ****! You are clearly making great progress with him man.
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

Risk: Thanks man. No doubt on the hams (and everything else for that matter). Working on it.

Sid: Thanks. Shelby is a smart man. Looking forward to the next couple months.
    My Journal

Is he local to you there?

Gal he is in Michigan. We correspond via email I don't need to really bug him much. Once a week I email him some info and photos. He makes tweaks to my diet as needed. I don't need to ask him much in between, but when I do he responds real fast.
    My Journal

Sounds nice, not sure about the cost on something like that but it seems like it could really be worth while.

Quote Originally Posted by galileo View Post
    Sounds nice, not sure about the cost on something like that but it seems like it could really be worth while.
    He has a ton of different options depending on your goals. His firm has a number of trainers too at different price points. Don't want to come off as advertising for him, but it's all on his site.
    My Journal

CP looks like this is going to pay off for you.

Thanks Joey. I am working with Shelby for 12 weeks but am already thinking I should talk to him about extending our plan. Really happy right now. Filling out more and more each week and staying lean. What more could you want?
    My Journal

Shelby is the real deal, your in the hands of a pro with him. I've seen some of his work and the results he's produced... worth every penny.

Always listening & learnin lil' power's Avatar
    I worked with Shelby this year, cutting while gaining strength for powerlifting. He does know his stuff. I went from 184 to 152 with 2 meets during this and hit raw elite #'s while losing.

Good luck CP!
    RAW/165's/ 365-215-360-940 ttl -Elite
    Single Ply/ 165's / 450-325-380 - 1155 ttl -Pro

WBB: Thanks man. I agree 100%

lil' power: Very cool! That is quite an accomplishment. Congrats.
    My Journal

Well I am coming to the end of my time with Shelby. We were supposed to be done as of yesterday, but he added in a free week since he was traveling all last week for Nationals. I am quite pleased with the results. I am up about 8-9lbs. Currently 187-188. While that might not be real impressive to some for a 12 week period, I'm pleased with it. I gave Shelby the task of a lean bulk, and I was hoping for about 10lbs of solid gains. We're right about there. I am deciding what to do next. I am considering extending my time with him, but haven't discussed our options yet. I think we have found the right mix. It took him a little feeling out period to get things going, but where we are now I think will produce even more solid results in the coming months. I have been this weight a couple times before, but this is easily the thickest I've been at this weight. I still need more muscle everywhere, especially my legs. Trust me, I'm working on it. My upper body is the strongest it has ever been. My legs are slowly coming back. I haven't squatted regularly since I hurt my back deadlifting a couple years ago. Now slowly I am working my squat form back and adding weight little by little. Goal for the next year is to get up to around 200-05 at the same fat level. Enough yapping. Here's some update photos.

My Journal

Clean Bulk in Progress james_w8lifter's Avatar
    Definately can notice a difference. Very little fat gain. Great job, keep at it.
    6' 1.... 211lbs.
    Bench: 275lbs x 1
    Deadlift: 385lbs x 1
    Squat: ??? (not enough)
    Goal by the end of May 2010... Weigh 225lbs.

Journal: The Obligation... Become a F***** Beast

I've seen your progress over the years and this is by far the thickest you've ever been Conor. You're staying pretty damn lean too, great stuff here.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig![/font][/size]

as others have said, great progress. I can really see the diference in the lats, they look MUCH wider.
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

“Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

Thanks guys. Still a lot more work to be done.
    My Journal

Wannabebig Member
    ya shelby is great, worked with him this year doing the progressive diet. worked great, started at 230 and now im 190 and kept most of my strength along the way. would recomend him to anyone.

Only happy when bulking radioheadhead's Avatar
    really considering his 12-month diet plan service...
    Height: 6' weight:197
    BF%: ~12%?

bench: 280 x 1
    squat: 370 x 1
    dead: 360 x 1

goal: 225 @ < 10% bodyfat