The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Banned
    I vote to use a formula. That might work best since peoples weights could be all over the place (would hate to exclude people because they are too light or top heavy).

And as far as form goes I vote for strict form such as in a meet. It'll be setup like a virtual meet

Everything sounds good.

The only thing about being tight on form is everyone is going to have an opinion and with differing qualities of recordings, angles etc... I would keep things simple and have perhaps one or two rules and just say if it looks about good, it's good and only if it looks very off, it's not counted and appoint a few people to call it.

Weight classes or formulas both sound good - totally up to you guys.

EatMyWay2TheTop - seeing as you started the thread - it's your call and I'll leave everything down to you...

Once you have made a call on the classes and have the competitors signed up, let's talk and agree the prizes - we'll make stuff worthwhile - I like doing stuff like this.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

Banned
    What about completing each lift during the same day, instead of spreading them out amongst a couple days, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Cmanuel View Post
    What about completing each lift during the same day, instead of spreading them out amongst a couple days, etc.
    This is what I was about to ask. Can it be optional?
    This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; the being thoroughly worn out before you are thrown on the scrap heap; the being a force of Nature instead of a feverish selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy - George Bernard Shaw

Relatively new member but..

id like to get in on this...im 220, 35yrs old, football coach, so my training right now is subpar because of in season, but this could be good motivation. plus just got my orange balst results in. taste great. other than the first time i took it(got explosive diarhea) i love the stuff.......what e weight classes? this is jsut belt and wraps? never used wraps, but guess i could get some for this...

i say same day

I would like to be in this also, check out my journal!
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...=1#post2241618

Quote Originally Posted by rbtrout View Post
    HARDGAINER = NOT EATING ENOUGH

Death to the World!
    I was thinking about keeping it really simple with the weight classes: 150, 175, 200, 225, 250 and up. Basically 5 weight classes. And I definitely think it should be lax on the judging. This is for fun, I wouldn't care if someone bounced a little on the bench. Or was literally 1" above parallel. Ultimately everyone has to submit their lifts and that reflects on them. Take pride in what you post is how I see it. I would also vote that all lifts must be completed in one 7 day period. That way you don't totally screw up your training cycle. And I agree with Hulk, it would be nice to have a couple of "lax" judges, maybe the guys from the At-Large team? I do like the idea of a totally newb competition. There are too many pros on this site that would annihilate us!

I hope some of those ideas help. And I myself am very excited.
    Last edited by Morgan McPherson; 10-14-2009 at 10:21 AM.
    SOLI DEO GLORIA!

5'6" 195#
    Raw maxes:
    BP 280ish
    SQ 400ish
    DL 495ish

I'm in for this whatever the format pal.

Although my total is closer to 1100 at the weight I'm at now it'll give me some added motivation to get closer to 1300 odd.

I have a raw meet on the 14th of November, I would be in if that isnt past the deadline. My goal is an 1120 total.

I like the idea of keeping things simple. Belt, wrist wraps, and knee wraps allowed - I think that is 'raw', although raw is certainly a relative term these days. BW should be measured Saturday the weekend of the competition. This should keep those ultra-competitive guys from going too crazy trying to cut weight. Its an internet based powerlifting competition folks. Videos of a lifter's three best lifts should be posted - i.e., Best lift for squat, deadlift, and bench. If you miss a lift, we don't need to see it. ;-) Lifts should be limited to three attempts per lift - we'll have to take your word that that is all you attempted. All lifts should be done on the weekend of the competition and posted on Sunday. Yes, this gives you two days to hit your lifts - Saturday and Sunday. Again, its an internet competition.

I'm happy with a LW, MW, and HW class if we get enough entries (plus a master's class so I can blame my lousy numbers on Alzheimer's). If not, maybe just two classes? Use the Wilkes formula to determine the best lifter in each class and the overall winner. Prizes are internet fame, the recognition of the some of the absolute top names in the game, and possibly a t-shirt, wraps, etc.

As far as a pause on bench, I would really like to see the bar have 'stop' if not exactly a pause - i.e., absolutely no bouncing. All decisions by judges are final. If you tape your lift from a lousy angle and the judge refuses to give you the benefit of the doubt - no crying! If any judge is willing to be swayed by bribery, all monetary arrangements should be made before the competition weekend and the fund placed in the judges Paypal account no later than that Saturday. ;-)

If there are some good examples of videos for the lifts and how the lifts should be performed, please post or link those videos. It'll help the competitors due a better job on their lifts and the videos.

All the above are merely suggestions...

I like the above rules except for the formulas. I looked up the wilkes coefficient and i think it makes it harder for the little(er) guys. I say instead of formula just make more weight classes.

I'd be in for some action. 1250ish total around 220lbs...I think some broad weight classes would be ideal.

WHatever though, it's all in good fun.
    Don't asker for a light load, but a strong back.

JOURNAL

Best Meet Lifts @ 220 Raw:
    Squat - 475
    Bench - 355
    Dead - 500
    Total: 1330

Banned
    I like the formula because it evens the playing field for everyone. It let's me know if my 1200 raw total at 165 is better than a 1350 total at 198 or whatever.

Death to the World!
    I like the formula because it evens the playing field for everyone. It let's me know if my 1200 raw total at 165 is better than a 1350 total at 198 or whatever.

Plus 1. I like that idea a whole lot better!
    Last edited by Morgan McPherson; 10-14-2009 at 07:07 PM.
    SOLI DEO GLORIA!

5'6" 195#
    Raw maxes:
    BP 280ish
    SQ 400ish
    DL 495ish

Banned
    Also guys I would love to set up a nominal entry fee. Something cheap like a minimum of 5 bucks but the catch is to donate it all to a charity like lift strong. I think if you have a good donation and a lot of support then a virtual meet like this could really give wanna be big a lot of good reputation

OK pals, I counted about 15 lifters entering right now. It makes me leaning towards using formula since having 3 weight classes would really water it down.
    We could go with best lifter by formula, best lifter by total, best squat, best bench and best dead.

As for the lifts; if you want to do each on different days, go ahead, I myself can not squat bench and deadlift at the same place so Ill have to spread it over the week.

Also I don't want to go crazy on form as it is really hard to tell from a video, just give it your best effort to make it look clean.

I like the donation idea but that's just me, some people might be on a budget so I won't make it mandatory but if you're interested let me know and we'll do something.

We'll continue discussing rules until Sunday then I'll set it in stone so we all could go to work.
    "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends"

John 15:13 KJB

"Do not pray for easy lives. Pray to be stronger men. Do not pray for tasks equal to your powers. Pray for powers equal to your tasks"

Philips Brooks

Love the way this is shaping up!

At the end of the day you could probably discuss rules for the next few months. I agree about just setting something concrete on the Sunday and remember everyone will have to stick to the same rules anyway so as long as they are generally sensible and fair, it'll be fine.

Once I know how many people and what the prize categories are in stone, I'll come up with some good prizes and we'll do something on the charity front too, that's a great idea!
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

wraps?

are the wraps worth it? how long does it take to adjust to them. i used some ace bandages a few years back, felt kinda weird and restrictive. i imagine the wraps are wayyy better of course....thanks

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    What type of formula are you talking about? Like xBW lifted? If so, that favors the little guys and wouldn't be fair to the big guys.

Whatever you guys choose is fine with me. I am just looking to test my lifts either way.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 515 SQ 295 BE 570 DL.....1375 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    515 SQ 302.5 BE 585 DL

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rodgers View Post
    What type of formula are you talking about? Like xBW lifted? If so, that favors the little guys and wouldn't be fair to the big guys.

Whatever you guys choose is fine with me. I am just looking to test my lifts either way.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilks_Coefficient

If anything the coefficient favors heavier guys. Still, its the most widely accepted normalizing tool in lifting so if we are going to use some sort of normalizing factor this should be it.

I love this. It's such a great idea. I was contacted about being a judge. Please pm me about bribes.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Banned
    http://www.isu.edu/~andesean/wform.htm

more on the wilks formula for those interested.

If anything the coefficient favors heavier guys.
    Errrrr, No it doesn't - It doesn't favour anyone, thats the point.

If anything the coefficient favors heavier guys. Still, its the most widely accepted normalizing tool in lifting so if we are going to use some sort of normalizing factor this should be it.
    "The Wilks Coefficient credits heavier lifters with more points than lighter lifters, despite the lighter lifter totaling more for their bodyweight." from the article above