Thread: Pulled/Strained muscle rehab

Pulled/Strained muscle rehab

How do you recomend going about rehab....non workout related.

Ok, so been lifting HARD for a good month or so......Squat 2x's a week, Bench 2x's a week, plus deadlift. I think it has finally taken the toll on my lower back/hip.

Last night deadlifting i noticed my lower back hip area getting tight/sore. It had nothing to do with bad form. The pain is basically between my spine & hip bone and right about where my belt line is. so middle butt check near top. Fortunatly not my "Back" per say.

I think i started wearing it down last week after deadlift w/ good mornings, then close stance squat on Tuesday and yesterday during my deadlift routine of 6 stes of 5 w/ 470#...it said

So i iced after workout for 20 mins. Then a massage (fiance) & hot tub for 15 mins about 2 hrs after icing, and then iced again before bed. Also 3 ibuprofen at bed.

It seemed a bit swolen & sore this morning & iced again. Also took some ibuprofen.

Does icing 2-3times a day for 20 mins, & Ibuprofen 4 times a day, rest & light streching sound ideal & massage every night sound ideal?

Any other ideas or input? heat? icy hot?

Thanks for any ideas
    6'0"--198# USAPL / IPF powerlifter
    ~~~ RAW Nationals July 15-17, 2010 in CO ~~~~

RAW Squat: 556
    RAW Bench: 390
    RAW Deadlift: 601

Sounds like you have a decent plan. You might also consider getting a foam roller and using it regularly if you aren't already. Once the swelling subsides, I would probably taper down the ibuprofen.
    The bigger issue is to set up your training so that you don't end up with recurring issues like this. It sounds like you pushed pretty hard for a while and didn't listen to your body very well. Incorporate more deload weeks and lighter workouts to stay healthy. For a while I would ice after every training session or rehab session. Using some kind of linament before training might also help loosen the area up.

Thanks man. i do have a foam roller, which i will incorporate. I was thinking roll for a bit, then get the finger massage, then roll real quick.

I have Red Hot, whhich i plan to incorporate pre workouts. I was planning a deload next week, looks like it may be for a few weeks now & a tad earlier. We'll see how it goes. Fortunantly nothing important coming up. Meet in mid nov, just State meet assuming i feel good.

Next big one is Arnold Classic in March, so i need to be all rested & healed up to train hard for that!

Ice and rest brother... Based on your recup abilities you should be back at it within 2-3 weeks. Your rehab sounds really good just make sure you lay off the DL until fully recovered.

Dont worry man, you won't lose anything. On the contrary, you'll come back stronger and more focused( I've been thier enough to know)

Good luck bro,
    RC

Yeah not to concerned about any strength loss, as rest always seems to do me good, just mentally it's about impossible to REST! I feel like im going NUTS!

I would do some really light work (Squats, GMs, or DLs) just to get the blood flowing to that area. Also, if you don't want to buy a foam roller you can just put a bunch of tennis balls in a sock and use that.

i have the foam roller as well as The stick & muscle-trac. These things are all sweet. The area is still a tad tender for rolling on a Ball!

But will eventually get to that. It definitly seems the swelling has gone done a lot & felling better.

I went in yesterday and did some abs & lower back streches & bends etc, stiff leggs w/ like 10# DB's.....

I will be going intoday to bench and do some light squat work to help loosen it up.

Arching for bench doesnt seem to bother it, nor does squat positions (light weight).

So progress!!