Thread: My cut has stalled...any advice?

Wannabebig Member

My cut has stalled...any advice?

Hello all,
    first off, I hate to clutter up the board with another individualized thread, but I've done all sorts of reading of this board, built's blog, searching, etc, and still seem to be having problems.

I've been lifting for a few years, and after falling off the bandwagon for a while, I ended up a flabby 6'1" 220 lbs. I embarked on a cut to try and get myself to a lower body fat percentage before I started really bulking (gotta fit into my clothes better). After a few months, I hit 205, and stalled. I tried taking a week off and eating at maintenance for a while hoping that would jump-start it, with little luck.

I'm tracking everything on fitday, and my calories end up in the 2000-2200 calorie range. 200-240 grams of protein, 40-50 grams of fat, with the rest being carbs.

I lift heavy, and my routine is a push-pull split, with deads, cleans, bench, squats, military presses, pullups, and weighted crunches.

Any ideas on how to progress a bit further into this cut?

I don't know if this will help but you fats look a little low.

Getting un-streamlined Progress's Avatar
    You're eating 2000-2200 kcal at 205 and a refeed didn't fix your stall? You must have an incredibly slow metabolism. I might get some flack for this, but I'd say lower calories even more. If you're truly plateauing at 205 and haven't lowered caloric intake, that may be what you need to do. Sorry.

If you crash too hard at around 1800 kcal, be sure to refeed after a few weeks.

More fat, less carbs.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kastro View Post
    More fat, less carbs.
    How many carbs should I be shooting for?

Quote Originally Posted by JazzCatDRP View Post
    How many carbs should I be shooting for?
    At least .5g per lb of LBM.

LuNa
    Quote Originally Posted by Progress View Post
    At least .5g per lb of LBM.
    I think that is for fat. If not, correct me. You should set protein at 1 g per lb and fat at .5g per lb. You then fill up the rest with whatever you are comfortable with. This could be carbs, fat or protein.

Not sure if you are doing it already, but instead of lowering your cals you could incorporate some HIIT cardio.

How many meals a day are you eating?

How much cardio are you doing?

What's your daily activity like? (ie: desk job, construction worker, etc...)
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by deeder View Post
    How many meals a day are you eating?

How much cardio are you doing?

What's your daily activity like? (ie: desk job, construction worker, etc...)
    I'm eating 5-6 meals.

At this point, I'm doing hardly any cardio. I'm a teacher, so I've got moderate activity levels during the day.

I'm eating 5-6 meals.

At this point, I'm doing hardly any cardio. I'm a teacher, so I've got moderate activity levels during the day.
    Don't count your daily activities as exericise, its not. As soon as you justify it is you wont go out of your way to do some exercise that puts you into a caloric deficit.

Your fats fine, I'd lower your protein. You only REALLY need 1g per LBM, so assuming your a fatty at 205 and 20%, 164-180g per day would be enough. You've got a choice; Lower your cals, or increase your cardio. And for those of you that think he doesn't need to lower his cals, I'm on less than 1200 a day. Gal is on less than 1000, and most guys doing PSMF are on about 800 a day.

And ya'll are ****ing crazy.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!

LuNa
    Quote Originally Posted by Risk10k View Post
    Don't count your daily activities as exericise, its not. As soon as you justify it is you wont go out of your way to do some exercise that puts you into a caloric deficit.

Your fats fine, I'd lower your protein. You only REALLY need 1g per LBM, so assuming your a fatty at 205 and 20%, 164-180g per day would be enough. You've got a choice; Lower your cals, or increase your cardio. And for those of you that think he doesn't need to lower his cals, I'm on less than 1200 a day. Gal is on less than 1000, and most guys doing PSMF are on about 800 a day.
    If he would be doing more of a PSMF i wouldnt lower his protein. Better be safe than sorry. Now in his case where he is at 2000+ calories, i agree protein could be lower, but i would sooner lower carbs than protein.

Im on 2500 average and i have been loosing 0.5kg - 1kg a week pretty steady. It really depends on how you structure your diet, but i doubt that with your refeeds you end up averaging 1200 a day. Gal also has an average calorie intake of 1700, which at his height and weight is quite appropriate for a cut.

Quote Originally Posted by LuNalicious View Post
    If he would be doing more of a PSMF i wouldnt lower his protein. Better be safe than sorry. Now in his case where he is at 2000+ calories, i agree protein could be lower, but i would sooner lower carbs than protein.

Im on 2500 average and i have been loosing 0.5kg - 1kg a week pretty steady. It really depends on how you structure your diet, but i doubt that with your refeeds you end up averaging 1200 a day. Gal also has an average calorie intake of 1700, which at his height and weight is quite appropriate for a cut.
    Refeeds at my level are every 2 weeks for one day, not worth noting. I don't know what the OP's level is, but the possibility of him needing a refeed maybe low. As far as lowering protein vs lowering carbs go, if the carbs are around the WO window I'd want them still there. If the OP is willing to go without the carbs, I'd suggest PSMF.

LuNa
    Refeeds at my level are every 2 weeks for one day, not worth noting. I don't know what the OP's level is, but the possibility of him needing a refeed maybe low. As far as lowering protein vs lowering carbs go, if the carbs are around the WO window I'd want them still there. If the OP is willing to go without the carbs, I'd suggest PSMF.
    I really wonder how you can go through daily life with just 1200 cals? I think you are even a bit bigger than i am and i get quite hungry on 2000 cals. What is your weight loss, Risk? How long do you plan to cut?
    Last edited by LuNa; 10-09-2009 at 02:20 AM.

I really wonder how you can go through daily life with just 1200 cals? I think you are even a bit bigger than i am and i get quite hungry on 2000 cals. What is your weight loss, Risk? How long do you plan to cut?
    4 weeks in, High 240's to 220. Lots of fluid, little bit of muscle, lots of fat. Cut stops on the 18th for my first refeed then I will caliper test and asses if I want to drop anymore fat. I've been sub 12% before, I think I'm around 15-16% now, from 20+.

Vitamins, Fish Oil, Thermogenics, and such keep hunger pains away. Fluid is king!

LuNa
    4 weeks in, High 240's to 220. Lots of fluid, little bit of muscle, lots of fat. Cut stops on the 18th for my first refeed then I will caliper test and asses if I want to drop anymore fat. I've been sub 12% before, I think I'm around 15-16% now, from 20+.

Vitamins, Fish Oil, Thermogenics, and such keep hunger pains away. Fluid is king!
    Hmm, so basically the whole fact of keeping weight loss at 1 lb per week is bull**** and with a good amount of protein you can go quite low without loosing muscle?

I think that is for fat. If not, correct me. You should set protein at 1 g per lb and fat at .5g per lb. You then fill up the rest with whatever you are comfortable with. This could be carbs, fat or protein.

Not sure if you are doing it already, but instead of lowering your cals you could incorporate some HIIT cardio.
    Yes, I meant fat. Carbs can be eliminated altogether.

Hmm, so basically the whole fact of keeping weight loss at 1 lb per week is bull**** and with a good amount of protein you can go quite low without loosing muscle?
    Its a general rule of thumb for 1-2lbs of FAT per week, but it gets misconstrued into 1-2lbs of scale weight. Lyle Macdonalds books talk about it extensively, I highly reccommend the Ketogenic Diet + the Rapid Fatloss handbook.

LuNa
    Its a general rule of thumb for 1-2lbs of FAT per week, but it gets misconstrued into 1-2lbs of scale weight. Lyle Macdonalds books talk about it extensively, I highly reccommend the Ketogenic Diet + the Rapid Fatloss handbook.
    Hmm, ok thats actually good to know. So what do you think about muscle loss when you are going that low in cals? Do you have the energy to do your workout as you did on a bulk or did you switch somethings around?

Wannabebig Member
    This is very interesting. I thought outside of some newbie gains, it is quite hard to gain muscle while losing fat unless on a diet specifically designed to do so (like UD 2.0). Are you saying it's possible that despite the scale's numbers not changing much, I am still losing fat?

This is very interesting. I thought outside of some newbie gains, it is quite hard to gain muscle while losing fat unless on a diet specifically designed to do so (like UD 2.0). Are you saying it's possible that despite the scale's numbers not changing much, I am still losing fat?
    It is possible. But at what rate? I think if you have a good amount of fat to lose you should def be seeing weekly or biweekly drops on the scale, even if they are small.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!

LuNa
    As you can see from one of Risk's previous posts he lost some muscle, which is normal, not gained anything.

It is possible that even when the scale is not moving you are losing fat. Thats why most people take pictures and bodyfat measurements next to scale measurements. However, after not seeing any drops on the scale for three weeks, i would consider lowering calories or increasing cardio.

For me personally, i dont do bodyfat measurements so my biggest focus is on scale drops.